Model Cars Magazine Forum

N.H.R.A. Pro Stock Trucks

Build Up Boy

Not to steal anything form the previous post regarding the Pro-Mod truck but has anyone out there built a NHRA Pro-Stock truck replica? I've been a NHRA member for a little over 22 years and like Pro-Stock cars alot but could never get into the truck thing. I only watched them cause 'Da Grump" was involved for awhile. Any comments?

Marty

Pictured below is Grump & 1 of 2 Monza's he brought to Byron Dragway in Byron, IL. back in the mid 70's for some weekend of match racing. He's on the extreme RIGHT & I'm on the extreme LEFT. Ahhhhhh, those were the days! DYNO DON, GLIDDEN, MOTOWN MISSLE, W.J. they were all there. :lol:

post-4685-049020200 1290204794_thumb.jpg

I'm sure that there have been plenty of built pro stock trucks done since the class came to be although I can only recollect seeing two in print. One was a Dakota conversion that appeared in a model magazine a few years back and was featured as part of a review of the model contest held at the 1:1 Mopar Nationals.

The other is pictured below. It is a phantom Grumpy's Toy build done by a builder in Arizona by the name of Dave Mauldin. The detail is second to none on this build and I believe it may have even been judged as best in show for the Copperstate Classic from the year of this photo, but don't quote me on that.

I have seen plenty of projects in progress shown online but not a lot of finished pieces. I believe that there is only one existing resin body available and that is a Chevy S-10 from Comp Resins.

P1010520vi-vi.jpg

Scrappy J built a Pro Stock truck a few years back but I do not think it was an N.H.R.A. replica.

I forgot about Dirk's build. He did an excellent build up using the same resin body with a fuel injected engine combination. I also forgot that Don Fahrni did one as well. If I can find a picture I will add that one here also.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure that there have been plenty of built pro stock trucks done since the class came to be although I can only recollect seeing two in print. One was a Dakota conversion that appeared in a model magazine a few years back and was featured as part of a review of the model contest held at the 1:1 Mopar Nationals.

The other is pictured below. It is a phantom Grumpy's Toy build done by a builder in Arizona by the name of Dave Mauldin. The detail is second to none on this build and I believe it may have even been judged as best in show for the Copperstate Classic from the year of this photo, but don't quote me on that.

I have seen plenty of projects in progress shown online but not a lot of finished pieces. I believe that there is only one existing resin body available and that is a Chevy S-10 from Comp Resins.

P1010520vi-vi.jpg

Holy Moly, look at the size of the model in the background!!

It would be nice to build one of these, but maybe the best basis for this would be AMT's NASCAR Pickup. That is quite close and of course there is lots of thing to build again, but that would be the best choice, resin kits are so expensive that...

I forgot about Dirk's build. He did an excellent build up using the same resin body with a fuel injected engine combination. I also forgot that Don Fahrni did one as well. If I can find a picture I will add that one here also.

here's one that i have of dirk's truck...

IMG_4262.jpg

P1010520vi-vi.jpg

You are correct, Wayne, it was Best of Show at the Copperstate Model Car Championship. It was a fantastic build!

Sadly, life got busy for Dave and he hasn't been building for several years.

B)

It would be nice to build one of these, but maybe the best basis for this would be AMT's NASCAR Pickup. That is quite close and of course there is lots of thing to build again, but that would be the best choice, resin kits are so expensive that...

Problem with that is the Nascar trucks are based on full-size models (Silverado, F150, Ram, Tundra), and the NHRA Pro Stock trucks were based on the small or mid-size models(S10, Dakota... Were there any Rangers?)

Also, the chassis used are quite different between the Nascar and NHRA vehicles.

Edited by Eric Stone