Model Cars Magazine Forum

'87 Thunderbird Turbo

Mr. Show

I know contemporary cars aren't popular around here but I like them.

I've been working on this thing on and off for a month. I was going to do a metallic silver and green two-tone originally. As I was prepping the HoK candy green after the silver base coat had cured the can blew a tiny hole in the bottom where it meets the cylinder. I hadn't even put it in very hot water, though I did shake it rather hard. So I stripped the body and decided to go with just a single body color - grape pearl. I hate enamel but I don't have anything else that would look good.

The pre-turboized engine. I've got a little more weathering to do to blend the chips I made and fix some painting error. I hate transmissions that are molded to the block.

IMG_2397-1.jpg

I decided, probably a little late, to fill in the trim to make one smooth line. Depending on the wheels this will be either black or chrome foiled.

IMG_2403.jpg

I messed up a little while weathering the chassis but it should be an easy fix. Also lost an A arm and still looking for a replacement.

IMG_2399-1.jpg

The front bumper with a couple mist coats. Glad I didn't put too many on or it would have been a nightmare trying to fill in the trim.

IMG_2402.jpg

Still deciding what wheels to use. I'm leaning toward the one on the bottom since I think that would look great with purple but it also looks a little too drag carish.

IMG_2405.jpg

Also since I'm still new to the hobby, tips and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.

Edited by Mr. Show

I have a spare set of A-arms if you need them. I am doing one of these 'Birds up Pro-Touring style right now and made my own tubular A-arms. If you want them, shoot me a PM with your adress and I will get them moving your way.

For what my opinion's worth; the 5spoke wheel you have pictured (in the upper right corner) would go well with the Semi-Custom look you have going (just trim that god-aweful 'fit ring' and put some nicer lower profile rubber on them.

Edited by whale392

Small update. I've had it with the stock bumper. It never fit right and was always too short for the body leaving major gaps that I can't repair at my skill level, so I'm using one from an old f body Mustang. It fits perfectly and won't take much work to align to the body. Just have to strip it, fill in the writing at the bottom, hit it with the dremel and some filing and it should be good.

IMG_2433.jpg

Edited by Mr. Show

Very interesting...........I've been working on a custom 87 T-Bird for some time and I put it back in the box because I havent been able to come up with a way to do the rear end styling. This gives me ideas........although I don't have a Mustang to steal a rear bumper from. Here's an idea of where mine is going.

025-1.jpg

030.jpg

Edited by slantasaurus

Very interesting...........I've been working on a custom 87 T-Bird for some time and I put it back in the box because I havent been able to come up with a way to do the rear end styling. This gives me ideas........although I don't have a Mustang to steal a rear bumper from. Here's an idea of where mine is going.

That looks great. Is that spoiler from a firebird?

Also, I have an aero bird bumper from the Tbird SC kit if you want it. I'll be doing that one stock so won't need it. Here's a picture:

IMG_2444.jpg

The slots on the bottom are exhaust ports. Kind of funky looking, reminds me of the custom Buick Electra rear end.

Also for others doing a car with the 2.3l in it, the book "40 years of Mustang" has some outstanding pictures of it. They have details I've not seen anywhere else which will be really helpful. Should be able to get it at your local library. Also a really interesting book otherwise; it was sad reading about how the Mustang got crippled in the late '70s and '80s, and a lot of information on how car companies worked back then. Ford did some shady things.

Edited by Mr. Show

Carving some brake discs. This will actually be my first complete model and I wasn't expecting this much custom work, but it's been a lot of fun so far.

IMG_2452.jpg

The temperature today is finally over 20 degrees so hopefully I can get some painting done.

Edited by Mr. Show

Very interesting project you have there. I think, this car is best when built to Pro Stock Drag Racer, but this one isn't really bad style either... Very good job so far, I think, i must buy this kit some day, your work looks awesome!

The temperature today is finally over 20 degrees so hopefully I can get some painting done.

Oh, are you serious! :huh:;) It's about - 15 celsiusdegrees here, in Lapland, there was over 30 minus degrees few days ago. Freezing... :lol:

Edited by W-409

Very interesting project you have there. I think, this car is best when built to Pro Stock Drag Racer, but this one isn't really bad style either... Very good job so far, I think, i must buy this kit some day, your work looks awesome!

Oh, are you serious! :huh:;) It's about - 15 celsiusdegrees here, in Lapland, there was over 30 minus degrees few days ago. Freezing... :lol:

Well, 20 degrees F which is a little over 6C. But it's the wind that has been bad which has been minus 17C. :P

That looks great. Is that spoiler from a firebird?

Also, I have an aero bird bumper from the Tbird SC kit if you want it. I'll be doing that one stock so won't need it. Here's a picture:

IMG_2444.jpg

The slots on the bottom are exhaust ports. Kind of funky looking, reminds me of the custom Buick Electra rear end.

Yeah, the spoiler is from the 91 Formula.

I might be interested in that bumper........how does it match up as far as width ???