Model Cars Magazine Forum

kenworth aerodyne/triaxle lowboy/dozer

here is my newest project, revell kenworth with a slight frame stretch. lowboy will be 95% scratchbuilt triaxle with a fourth flip axle. dozer is my own design, using two amt kits and scratchbuilding the rest. engine has been converted to twin turbo/intercooled and fully plumbed. i have a long way to go but here is a few mock up pics to give you an idea of where it's going. more to come......stay tuned.

dozerbuild2011006.jpg

dozerbuild2011007.jpg

dozerbuild2011009.jpg

dozerbuild2011005.jpg

Nice one Hunter,

Love the dozer, what ever happened to your Cat Dozer?

Look forward to seeing an update

thanks tony, this is the old dozer heading a new direction. i saved the lower chassis and engine, everything else will be redone.

Looks good so far. Sure is an ambitious project. I really like the low-boy. Did you start with the Revell of Germany Heavy Haul trailer?

Low-boy with a tank? Must have missed that one!

thanks jim, ambitious projects seem to be my thing. the lowboy is scratchbuilt except for the suspension. here is a pic of my ford ltl/dropdeck and tank that i built for the 2010 show season.

misc185.jpg

misc182.jpg

misc181.jpg

thanks for all the great comments guys, i will try to do plenty of updates on this build. i'm working on the tri blade ripper for the dozer now. it will be half kit parts and half scratchbuilt. i will be bouncing from the tractor to the trailer to the dozer. it seems to be easier for me to build this way, keeps me from burning out on one thing and stay focused on the complete build. stay tuned...............

how does the Revell Aerodyne compare to the AMT kit? i'd really like ot build the AMT but it looks like it could be a bit hard to come by. i noticed the doors open on the Revell kit too?

dave, i like revell and italeri kits over amt, the amt kit is pretty nice though. the doors do open on the revell kit but i do not use their design. they are too clunky looking for me. i will be adding aftermarket hinges and modifying the doors to work with them.

another update on this build....................body work is finished on the cab and emerald green base is on. waiting on my house of kolor order from black gold inc to come in. when it arrives i will be spraying the ice green and pearl coats.....also the graphics.

hinges have been ordered for all doors including compartments and tool boxes. i will include that progress in another update soon. here are the current pics........................

dozerbuild2011012.jpg

dozerbuild2011013.jpg

dozerbuild2011016.jpg

dozerbuild2011017.jpg

dozerbuild2011019.jpg

The 3408 would be way too small scale wise to put in a D11 R the better way to go if you wanted to build that engine is get a Norscot Cat 3516 generator and cast parts off of it as they are of the same class size or take one and cut it in half to make a V-8 . Although if you built a D9N you could use the 3408.

Leo

p.s. what would it take to get a set of those plans ?

First problem, Norscott don't make a 1/16th 3516 generator, so using a monogram 1/16th 3408, and cutting it into 8 parts, and adding to it is really the only option here, to widen and lengthen it is a easy way out, finding correct measurements

to scratchbuild one is near impossible, unless you had a cat dealer next door, all the external parts, piping, brackets etc could then be scratch built, or photo etched,

To give you an idea of the size of this machine in 1/16th it is 400 wide(over15inch), and 680mm (over 26inch) long, and the tyne for the ripper is 220 long (8inch)

If you love this machine, then have a look at this in 1/14 scale D11R build

thanks tony, yea i would love to have a set of plans for that dozer. i can use them for ideas on this project. let me know buddy. ;):lol::D

The y are in 1/20th scale, but that don't matter, you can scale them to what you like

Edited by Tony Bryan