Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clean Spray Can Nozzle

Clay

This is something I have been doing for a while. After I empty out a spray can, or leave it without unclogging the nozzle, I take it off and put it in an old jar, maybe from Jelly. Its empty of course. I fill the jar with Super Clean, can be found at Wal-Mart in the automotive section in a 5 gallon jug or a spray bottle, then I put the nozzles in the jar and let them set. You will have to take them out to wipe off the paint, but I usually let them sit. Hope this tip helps you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Spray carburetor cleaner through the nozzle, using the 'stick' that comes with the carb cleaner. The 'stick" fits into the stem of the nozzle and it works like a charm, although I have my doubts that a charm would actually work. WARNING: wear eye protection. This stuff stings for a while if you don't. Don't ask me how I know.

I've recently started tilting can upside down after painting and spray til clean,it has helped.

It always works...really doesnt waste paint in the end. Soaking in solvent (for a long time) will soften the whole thing and can cause blow by....been there. I keep all tamiya and duplicolor nozzels clean this way and have been surprised by the complete lack of issues!

I decant all colors and 1/2 of my TS13 clear as needed

I usually tilt the can upside down and spray till no paint comes out, but sometimes it seems like there is a whole lot of paint coming out. Ive also used various concoctions to soak the nozzles in. This works sometimes if the nozzle is clogged, but doesnt seem to make a difference on a day to day basis. SO, I just had an idea......the reason for turning upside down and spraying is of course, to get air out of the can with no paint to clean the nozzle. Im gonna try removing the nozzle and shootig some compressed air thru it. Ive had compressors since 1965, so I have no clue why I never thought of this before!

I have always(or at least as long ago as I can remember, which is about breakfast) been turning them upside down and spray until it get just propellant(a second or so) and then I hit the nozzle with a Qtip with some acetone or lacquer thinner. Never had a nozzle clog that I can remember(see disclaimer in sentence #1)