Model Cars Magazine Forum

A rough year

It's a rough year, but I made it.

But not everyone is as lucky as I am......

The economy is so bad that I got a pre-declined credit card in the mail.

I ordered a burger at Burger King, and the kid behind the counter asked, "Can you afford fries with that?"

CEO's are now playing miniature golf.

If the bank returns your check marked "Insufficient Funds," you have to call them and ask if they mean you or them .

Hot Wheels and Matchbox stocks are trading higher than GM.

Burger King is selling the 1/4 'ouncer'.

Parents in Beverly Hills and Malibu are firing their nannies and learning their children's names.

A truckload of Americans was caught sneaking into Mexico .

Dick Cheney took his stockbroker hunting.

Motel Six won't leave the light on anymore.

The Mafia is laying off judges.

Exxon-Mobil laid off 25 Congressmen.

And how rough was it for you?

G

Mr G, I understand your pain.... although...

Some doctor on tv this morning said the way to find inner peace is to finish all the things you started.

So I looked around my house to see things I'd started but hadn't finished, and before leaving for work, I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonay, a bodle of Bailey's, a budle of wum, a peck of prungles, the mainder ov a bodle ov prozic n valiuminum skripshunz, the ress ov the cheescke an a box ov chokletz.

Yu haf no idr how bludy fablus I feel rit e now!

Pleze tell em yu larv em an ineedawee an wishem a cherry mismass!!

James...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!! :lol:

Out of a full time job for over 2 years now. Not even Walmart was really hiring for Christmas. I haven't worked more than 15 hours in a week in almost a year. It is killing me.

I have tried manyy times over the last 2 years to get on at wally world as a greeter or whatever, anything, the only people that get hired are disabled or something similar.

Edited by midnightprowler

My wife and I were at our local Wal Mart last night and I couldn't believ how few people were in the store.. Usually you have to wait in long line ups at the cash register - last evening, I had one woman ahead of me in my line and the other tills that were open ( not all of them by any means ) were the same - one or two people in each line. Even Canadian Tire was quiet.. no waiting to pay for your stuff... We were in several other stores as well - smaller ones - and also, considering that Christmas is just around the corner - things sure were quiet. This is worrisome.. things must be worse than even I thought they are if last night is any indication as to how people are spending their money this Christmas. We are really blessed so far because our life style has not changed although I am thinking twice these days before spending money.

Out of a full time job for over 2 years now. Not even Walmart was really hiring for Christmas. I haven't worked more than 15 hours in a week in almost a year. It is killing me.

Yep! My wife's WalMart didn't hire any Christmas help this year. Not only that but they have not replaced anyone who left since June!

She is just returning to work after being off almost 6 months following her stroke! We were worried that they would say there was no position for her to return to when she went in with the doctors release!

The HR Manager told her (in a phone call from her home) that she was ordered to terminate her one day after her FMLA was up if she didn't return in the date it ended!

So the wife told the doctor to release her NOW!!!

They had not filled her position but were covering the fitting room with people from the surrounding departments! So she is going back to her same old job! But reduced hours. They did make an exception and she can still keep her same insurance plan even though she may be reclassified as part time!(less than 34 hours)

i know this started as a joke ,but this year has been a rough one, in january my wife almost died ,she has been in a nursing home ever since.my business folded, i have been selling at flea markets and model car shows had over 1200 model kits and been selling them off at shows.my wife was a avid truck fan and collected toy trucks for years, hate selling her trucks off ,feel like i am selling a part of her and our life together. she has been back in the hospital 4 times this year.in the last few weeks our furnace died,hot water heater started leaking and the refrigerator died. so i am using kerosene heaters 60.00 a week in oil,put pans of water on the heater so i have hot water to get washed,and it has been cold enough to keep a little food on the enclosed back porch. but my wife is still alive.my kids are healthy my parents both in their 80's are still alive up in pa.the models were a way to make money that has gotten me through this far and still have a few left to sell. but most of all I Have another Christmas With Cindy. MERRY CHRISTMAS

Thanks for some laughs, Wayne, after this year I needed them.

I moved back home (never fun after 30) because of lack of work to discover my parents disintegrating on just about every imaginable front, particularly medically, with my mother, and financially, partially from leftover bill, partially because of gross stupidity on their part, after literally fifteen years of me telling them it would create a problem.

Compounded with barely hitting four digits' (no, that is not a typo) income for me this year, it's been a horror show.

About the only thing that even approaches going right was the decision I made to return to school and get re-trained for something else. That's translated into about 3.5 GPA and, with a little luck, a good new career in the paralegal field, with law school a distinct possibility next year, especially if the job market continues as it is.

May 2011 be better for all of us.

Charlie Larkin

This year has been one of ups and downs. I believe life is what you make of it, not what it makes you. After being cancer free for almost two years my oncologist noticed "something" during a routine visit. After a month of appointments and tests it turned out to be nothing! So I am still clean and in remission. After being unemployed for over a year and a half I returned back to work in October. Yes, this can be seen as a good year....ooops, forgot to mention. I clocked out of work last Friday and while walking to my car in the rain stepped into an 8 inch hole resulting in a broken hip. I'll be recovering until February or March. Gotta remember, life is what you make of it.

Millions of Americans have had a rough year in 2010. But remember... throughout our history, every economic downturn was followed by a period of economic growth. Our system is cyclical... and for every downturn there's always a corresponding upturn. And we're all due for that upturn. Let's hope that the recession is almost over and we all have a better 2011. I know that I could sure use it!

Hear Hear!

We elected a new Governor who in turn appointed two new Boardmembers. The Gov and the boardmembers actually "get it".

Believe it or not tourism is up, revenue is on the rise, and none of us cops are being laid off. (insert crossed fingers here...............)

Like Jim said, we're still waking up everyday. Even with all the bad s%!& happening I haven't lost my sence of humor, nor should anyone else.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year.

G

I finished 2009 unemployed, started 2010 unemployed, and in August I got a job. It pays less than unemployment, but I am working. And, its for less than half of what I usually make.

I have read all of the posts about the rough year that it has been. I truly enjoy the humor, it is needed. But at the same time, I am grieved that some of you have had it so rough. Life and faith have taught me that there is an answer outside of myself. For those of us that have had the thought that we can take care of ourselves and "get through it", some of us are those same ones that can't land a job, not for the lack of trying after 100's of resumes and dozens of interviews. My job came about as a miracle, in an industry where most job openings are word-of-mouth. My favorite car was re-possessed and sold at auction for $10,500 less than I owe on it. So now I owe for what I don't have.......

To those of you that have had it so rough, I dearly hope that you have a way to find joy and hope, and that things turn around for you soon!

Rod

A tough year here too. Chronic health issues I have were getting worse. Then the Sears man came to estimate a new heater. He coughed on me, then apologized saying it was "viral" and not to worry, despite his being ill for 6 months, he was on the mend and not contagious anymore. A few days later I became ill and I am still battling it 9 months later. Needless to say I did not buy a heater from him.