Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cummins Beige paint?

Hi guy's which paint company has the a close match to Cummins Beige? I can not get scale finish paint becaues I live in Canada, so I have to go this rout. Testors, Humbrol, Revell Paint.And if you know Please put the # of the paint and which company

makes it . Thanks

Doug

I've used krylon khaki for the last 2 I did.I dull coated one and gloss coated the other.The dull is a little better.Close enough for me.It sucks we Canadians can't get certain things,something about the bilingual BS.I'm gonna get some alclid sent to my sister in Florida and have her mail it or bring it to me.That's the only loophole Ive thought of to get the stuff.

Hey Doug, I did a lot of research on this when I built the Cummins in my avatar. I even went to our local Cummins dealer and compared paint samples. The best choice I have found are Tamiya colors XF-59, Desert Yellow mixed with a small amount of XF-55 Deck Tan. These are both flat colors and will go on great with no "build up". I did a light flat black wash on my engine after I painted it. you can see more pictures of it in my Smokey and the Bandit Kenworth album on my Fotki site.

http://www.public.fotki.com/lotso/

I used straight Tamiya Deck Tan XF-55 on this one. It's pretty close.

P4210009.jpg

[/quote

Not to sound like a goof, but any Pete, KW IE: paccar dealer carries it, 1 can, $8 all the engines you can paint.

Cummins service Products, pn# 3824515 cummins beige

Scott

(Not sure how canada works, if you can't get paint from a dealer in canada, then i appologize.}

Here's my opinion on this.I say just use what looks best to you from the hobby shop. Don't waste your time going out of your way just to get a can of paint from a truck dealer or a commerical parts supplier just because the cover has the word CUMMINS on it. That's rediculous. Several years ago I did just that. I went to Williams Detroit Diesel / Carrier Refridgeration dealer here in Columbus,Ohio for a can of engine enamel. I ended up waiting in the parts showroom at least 45mins before one of the parts guys had time to even acknowledge me and the other customer. While waiting I BS'd w/ a friend of mine who was a mechanic there. He thought I was nuts going there just for a can of paint for a model. Finally when I got home and used it the pigment/solids were so thick it nearly covered all the details on the engine w/ the first coat. The paint is too much for a models. After that only use I ended up throwing it in the trash it was useless to me. Engine enamel is made to w/ stand hot and cold temeratures sealing the block and components from the elements all year around for the life of the engine. I don't remember what the Tamiya (spray) part number was I used on the last Cummins I assembled.. I'd say go w/ what Ben and Jim suggested. Both pics of their engines look like they nailed it.

Here's my opinion on this.I say just use what looks best to you from the hobby shop. Don't waste your time going out of your way just to get a can of paint from a truck dealer or a commerical parts supplier just because the cover has the word CUMMINS on it. That's rediculous. Several years ago I did just that. I went to Williams Detroit Diesel / Carrier Refridgeration dealer here in Columbus,Ohio for a can of engine enamel. I ended up waiting in the parts showroom at least 45mins before one of the parts guys had time to even acknowledge me and the other customer. While waiting I BS'd w/ a friend of mine who was a mechanic there. He thought I was nuts going there just for a can of paint for a model. Finally when I got home and used it the pigment/solids were so thick it nearly covered all the details on the engine w/ the first coat. The paint is too much for a models. After that only use I ended up throwing it in the trash it was useless to me. Engine enamel is made to w/ stand hot and cold temeratures sealing the block and components from the elements all year around for the life of the engine. I don't remember what the Tamiya (spray) part number was I used on the last Cummins I assembled.. I'd say go w/ what Ben and Jim suggested. Both pics of their engines look like they nailed it.

I agree with Scott, the "Cummins" paint from Cummins or Napa is not only really thick and glossy but every can I sampled from both places was a medium brown. Way darker than any other Cummins I had ever seen! Even the parts guy at Cummins said it didn't look right.

Well guys i have had great luck with the genuine cummins beige paint. i have painted several trucks with it and it does not hide any details doesnt appear to be much thicker if any at all. you may have got a bad can that was old has frozen or something. Here is my Super Liner with a Cummins engine painted with it.post-7286-079306600%201292787163_thumb.jpg

I agree with Scott, the "Cummins" paint from Cummins or Napa is not only really thick and glossy but every can I sampled from both places was a medium brown. Way darker than any other Cummins I had ever seen! Even the parts guy at Cummins said it didn't look right.

Edited by truckman1981

Well guys i have had great luck with the genuine cummins beige paint. i have painted several trucks with it and it does not hide any details doesnt appear to be much thicker if any at all. you may have got a bad can that was old has frozen or something. Here is my Super Liner with a Cummins engine painted with it.post-7286-079306600%201292787163_thumb.jpg

I've used a fair amount of Detroit Diesel Alpine Green engine enamel, and that has been my experience too. It is thicker than regular spray paint but you just need to modify your technique slightly (take it a little easier, more lighter coats) to get a good paint job with it.

I also have cans of Cat yellow, IH blue and Cummins beige, but haven't had the need for them yet.

Of course Cummins beige is pretty easy to match compared to most engine colors, so alternatives are fairly easy to find.

I use Duplicolor Cummins Beige. Item #is DE1638 and it's available at NAPA, O'Reilly's, or any auto parts store that sells Duplicolor Engine Enamel. Before I discovered that, I used Model Master Sand Biege. The engine in black Autocar below is painted with the Model Master paint. The NTC 290 in the second pic is painted with the DupliColor. Right behind that engine is the can I used, so you know what to look for if you should decide to use it. I figured I would show it in case you're not able to get your hands on Tamiya paints depending on your local hobby shop. It has a beige cap and it's a good size can. You could paint a Cummins powered fleet with it. I never thought about it being too dark until I read this thread. I'll have study in person some old beige Cummins engines so I can see for myself. If I can find one, lol.

NTC 350 in Model Master Sand Beige

CumminsNTC350rightside.jpg

NTC 290 in DupliColor Cummins beige.

100_1713.jpg

Edited by FlatbedKW

• 8 years later...
15 minutes ago, DrKerry said:

Look out, he ain't playing!!! LOL.....

I use a Dupli Color paint but not sure of what it is as it's at home.. It's close enough for me..

Thought I try the Cummins Engine Beige.  I used actual Detroit Diesel Ocean Blue on an engine and it worked great.