Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 250GT California Spyder-Italeri

simonr

This is the 1/24 Italeri Ferrari 250GT California Spyder. It's build took me around 7 months to build. The model it's called by me the "International", because, I got the model on yahoo auctions in Japan(you guys knows this is a hard to find), the steering wheel from Reinnasance in France, the Tecnomodel wheels in sweden, and the awesome Ferrari engine kit, the interior of the doors, windows cranks ans seats in U.S.A. by Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland.

The model was painted with Tamiya TS-8 Italian Red with no clear. Besides the engine kit, I added some extra wiring and plumbing for the engine. The long time inside the box messed up some of the decals, so, I had to add a computer generated license plate decal and the front badge decal from a formula model.

It's by far my succesfull model. It got on it's debut in the first local chapater IPMS show the director's pick award, something like the best in show. After that, I took the model to the 2003 T.A.M.S. show in Norfolk,VA, and it took there the first place in Factory Stock 60's-70's. Most people there told that the model was considered to the Best of Show Award as it can be read in the Model Cars Mag Feb/Mar 2005 pg.52 isuue. But the big award was ahead. In 2004 it doesn't just took a top 15 award in the important Birmingham Classc show, it also took the Best of Show, what was to me, the most unforgetable moment of my life as a modeler. That moment when the award was called it still running in my mind each time I see something related to the model.

Latetly, I took the model to the 2005 GSL and was well looked there as made it several times to some of the model car publications as is Model Cars Mag. Last year it took 4th place in Factory Stock at the Heartland Nationals in Overland Park, Kansas.

Here's are a couple of pictures of the model in detail.

FerrarienBirmingham-1.jpg

gsl05_00190-1.jpg

DSC04769-vi.jpg

gsl05_00193-1.jpg

gsl05_00191-1.jpg

Ferra160.jpg

Ferra158.jpg

Ferra157.jpg

Ferra150.jpg

ferra101.jpg

Simon Rivera

Edited by simonr

• 5 months later...

Hey my good friend Skip it's here!

Thanks again to take from your time to see my models. It's always good to know that you're doing it and that an advise from a conoceur like you can arrive at any time. My respects to you. Keep on eye in this forum, I'll be finishing the 1/43 Profil 24 1987 Le Mans winner Rothmans Porsche 962C project very soon.

Simon Rivera

Simón, you amaze me with each new build. Everything is wonderful, of course, but I am particularly impressed by the reality of the seat texture. Another masterpiece that other Ferrari builders should take note of.

Ferra157.jpg

"The 1957 Ferrari 250 GT California. Less than a 100 were made, my father spent 3 years restoring this car, it is his love, it is his passion...."

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

:P

VERY nice model, I have always wanted to do a model of the 250GT 'California' but could never find a kit in that scale. I ALMOST bought the very nice 1/18 scale hot wheels die cast, but passed, i really want a glue kit of it. this is my ALL time favorite ferrari, next to the Testarossa B).

Well Dave, I consider myself lucky enough to get one of this in Yahho Japan auctions. I think if you keep an eye on Ebay could find one, 'cause I had seen them there. If not, you can check with Island Collectibles or anyone else that sells the Tecnomodel or MG edition that Iknow made the car like 5 years ago. Tecnomodel it's the maker of the wheels my model has. They are little bit pricey, but, these are much fine models in resin and I think white metal parts.

Good luck!

Simon Rivera

Edited by simonr

• 3 years later...

The Italieri kit was repopped by a company called Academy (known primarily for military stuff I believe) under the name "Classic European Sports Car" (to avoid licensing costs I would presume)and can be purchased on eBay for a very reasonable price. I have one on the way to me now so I can't speak to any issues it might have, but, as I said, it was so cheap it isn't much of a risk...

Well Dave, I consider myself lucky enough to get one of this in Yahho Japan auctions. I think if you keep an eye on Ebay could find one, 'cause I had seen them there. If not, you can check with Island Collectibles or anyone else that sells the Tecnomodel or MG edition that Iknow made the car like 5 years ago. Tecnomodel it's the maker of the wheels my model has. They are little bit pricey, but, these are much fine models in resin and I think white metal parts.

Good luck!

Simon Rivera

Interesting info Jack! B)

In fact, I wish I had known this a little earlier, because I could have saved some bucks on the 'Bay as I won an original Italeri kit a few days ago. I went ahead and also ordered another of Norm Veber's fantastic resin Ferrari engine kit for this car, as well as the interior bits and pieces.

I should tell you that Norm's engine kit is NOT for the faint of heart! I've built two of these engines in the past, and it's definitely a model in of itself! If you're not used to tedious and really tiny parts.............well let's just say you've been warned! Nicely built, you can't beat this engine for detail and shear visual appeal.

There's lots of info about this car on the 'net, as well as some engine shots................certainly a car well worth spending some time on as Simon has done. I got to see this car up close and personal when he had it at the Birmingham NNL in '05, and it's more beautiful in person than the pics shown here can justify! <_<

I have one on the way to me now so I can't speak to any issues it might have, but, as I said, it was so cheap it isn't much of a risk...

I want to add that I built one of these back in the '80's and I don't remember any big issues with how it went together. The interior they give you is not quite accurate as they use the same seats and door panels out of the 250 GTO........this is where Norm's resin replacement pieces will come in very handy.

Also, I've never liked Italeri's knobby generic tires and wire wheels-----so a definite upgrade would be needed there as well.