Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Momad

Custom Mike

Thanks for the compliments guys, I've got a little ways to go before she's finished, but it's coming along nicely now! biggrin.gif

Les, THANK YOU!!!!! I can finally stop sweating running out of this stuff!

Oh, and that Pete's grille looks awesome, is it completed yet?

Edited by Custom Mike

Today was my day to handle little stuff like the dash (Hey Revell, drill out the dash and give us something to mount the decals to BEHIND those holes! What a P.I.T.A.!), front fascia, hatch, under-hood stuff, etc. Here's the pics, another update in a minute!

Momad220-vi.jpg

Momad221-vi.jpg

Momad222-vi.jpg

Momad223-vi.jpg

Momad224-vi.jpg

Momad225-vi.jpg

Oh, and I masked off the rocker trim and corresponding trim on the front and rear fascias and painted it black. I felt like it would help make the side of the car appear slimmer than it actually is. It seems to have worked, you tell me!

Momad226-vi.jpg

Momad227-vi.jpg

Momad228-vi.jpg

Momad229-vi.jpg

Momad230-vi.jpg

Momad231-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Thanks for the compliments guys, they really keep me going on things like this. I finally got my side windows made up, and even with the templates I made this was a real pain to do. I wasted a bunch of clear plastic, but I've got all 4 windows now, they just need the black paint on the inside and I can glue them in. I've also got my windshield and door window trim painted, with a tiny amount of clean-up to do. Here's some pics of the trim and the windows set in place (They really didn't want to stay in place for the pics!), enjoy!

Momad232-vi.jpg

Momad233-vi.jpg

Momad234-vi.jpg

Momad235-vi.jpg

Momad236-vi.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm currently trying to tint the side windows without much luck. Looks like a trip to Auto Zone is in my future, actual window tint seems to be my best option, because Future and Tamiya Smoke Clear don't play well together...GRRR! :angry:

Alyn, the flocking isn't perfect, it's kind of sparse in a few spots in the back, but it photographs well. I'm going to take another crack at tinting the side windows tonight. If the film doesn't work, I'm going to try to find some Black food coloring to mix with Future and give that a shot!

Mike......I have to say.....you do some impressive work......really like this build.

John, I am humbled by your comment, you're one of the guys I really look up to!

Now, for my little (And I do mean little) update, I'm trying to tint the side windows for this one, but I'm not having a whole lot of success with it. I've tried window film, Tamiya Smoke clear, and now tinted Future. The Future has come the closest, but I'm still doing something wrong. Here's where I ask for some help from those who have used Future before, I'm at my wits end with this stuff. I got it tinted nicely, but can't get it applied evenly to save my life.

I tried dipping the windows in it....FAIL

I tried dipping just one side in it....FAIL

I tried brushing it on....FAIL

I tried airbrushing it (6 light mist coats @ 30 psi)....FAIL

Here's a picture of what they look like, ignore the little black dots and lines, that's on the lamp base itself. They'll be making a trip into some fresh Future for stripping in a few minutes. I'm going to bash my head into the oak tree in the backyard.... :banghead:

Momad252-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

I think I might have my tinting right finally, but I had to come up with my own method for applying it. Instead of getting the glass wet or adding baby oil, I went a whole new route. The problem I had before was tiny specks of dust, so I figured if I put some soapy water in the sink, put my film into the water, then put the glass pieces onto the film in the water, it might just work out. So far (I haven't trimmed the film yet) it looks perfect, I'll be slicing it all up Tuesday to be safe. I also laid down the Krome Foil on the driver's side and got my Photo-etched trim inserts applied to both sides. Next up is getting the tail lights done, and touching up/re-polishing some of the foil!

Momad253-vi.jpg

Momad255-vi.jpg

Momad256-vi.jpg

Momad257-vi.jpg

Momad258-vi.jpg

Have you thought about developed 35mm film for window tint? Nice work on the build. It'll be perty cool when you get done with it!:D

Marshall, I appreciate that tip, but I think I nailed it this time. By submerging the film in soapy water, I eliminated the dust/hair issues, and applying the "glass" to the film while it was submerged took care of any dust/hair on the glass itself. The results will be posted tomorrow (Gonna give the film's adhesive two days curing time to be safe!), but they're looking really good right now!

My side windows are done! They have a few minor problems where the film didn't completely adhere (Mainly at the edges), but they look much better than any other time I tried to tint them. I painted my black edges, and glued the driver's side into the body. I've got to add some strip styrene to the top edges to glue the windows to (I had to remove it when I reshaped/resized the window openings), but that will be a piece of cake. I snapped a few shots once I got the windows in place just to check it out, here ya go, enjoy!

Momad259-vi.jpg

Momad260-vi.jpg

Momad261-vi.jpg

Momad262-vi.jpg

Momad263-vi.jpg

Momad264-vi.jpg