Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Momad

Custom Mike

Thanks Doc, let's see what you think of this! Since Fotki is back up and running, I can do some updates! I made up the lower grille surround Saturday, and it came out great! I've still got to get the corners looking better on the top sides, but I can do that (Hopefully) pretty easily! On with the update!

I started with some angle-shaped styrene, cutting four pieces to fill in the lower grille. Once they were all ready, a bit of Tamiya liquid cement was applied!
Momad316-vi.jpg

Momad317-vi.jpg

Momad318-vi.jpg

Momad319-vi.jpg

And what it looks like from the inside. The channel will allow me to cut a flat piece of mesh to fit, and give me something to glue it too! It also makes the grille assembly completely removable!
Momad322-vi.jpg

And some quick mock-ups. I added in the stainless mesh, in silver and black, then slapped some foil on it real quick and tried the brass mesh. It actually looks better in person, but the camera shows how rough it is, so the foil will be removed and the corners smoothed out. But it does show that the idea worked, and looks pretty good to boot! The upper grille is gonna kill me, but it's gonna get done, I have no choice now!

Momad333-vi.jpg

Momad334-vi.jpg

Momad335-vi.jpg

Momad336-vi.jpg

Momad337-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I got a bit of work done yesterday on this one. I worked on the upper grille some more, but scrapped what I made again, it's just not working right yet. SO I threw some primer at the hood to see if maybe the opening was the issue....

Momad338-vi.jpg

Now I know why I can't get the upper grille surround to look right, the opening isn't square! I'll get this straightened out and squared up if I get the chance this week, then we'll take another shot at making the surround!

And another small update, I started in on the rear side windows. I spent a long time carefully sanding the openings on the driver's side until I had them where I wanted them. Once I get the passenger side to match, I'll throw some primer at it and see if they're even.

Momad340-vi.jpg

Momad341-vi.jpg

And the unmolested passenger side. In this first picture you can see the flaws in the body work above the windows, which is what caused me to set this build aside for so long.
Momad339-vi.jpg

Momad342-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I want it to look like it rolled out of the factory like this, so I'll keep working on it until I feel it's just right!

It takes a lot of courage to make such changes so late in the game. Outstanding work!

David G.

David, I have one that I finished just because I felt pressure to get it done over on BMC years ago. I had so many people watching that I felt like it needed to be wrapped up, and I hate it now. It's got tons of little flaws that drive me nuts. It takes a nice picture, but in person it's a wreck, and I want every custom I do now to satisfy me first, and everyone else second. I appreciate that people want to see what I'm building, but I won't cut corners to get one done so I feel like I satisfied everyone, I want it as close to perfect as I can get!

• 7 months later...

Well, since the deadline for this one is May 1st, it's time to get it in shape for paint! I got the side windows tightened up, and with just a bit more fine sanding, the body will be ready for a re-paint. I also got the new windows made up, and the retaining channels in place, progress is coming fast on this baby, and I should have the Momad script decals in hand from Speedway Decals by the 14th!

Momad361-vi.jpg

Momad362-vi.jpg

Momad363-vi.jpg

Momad369-vi.jpg

Momad370-vi.jpg

I also got the side windows "tinted", I tried out three different spray tints, Tamiya, some stuff for RC Cars, and the old Testors Tint...five coats of each, and the Testors won out by a mile! It'll need a bit of polishing, but it's a good match!

The kit's sunroof on the left, my Testors test piece on the right, this should work just fine!

Momad367-vi.jpg

And the new windows sprayed. Yeah, they're gonna need some clean-up, but that will be a breeze!

Momad368-vi.jpg

Most of my bench time last weekend was spent trying to get the grille opening in the hood right. I got the opening as squared up as I could get it, then went about making the surround. I went a slightly different route than the lower grille this time, mainly because of the size of the opening itself. It's a bit harder to get everything straight the way I did it before, so I started with a piece of styrene sheet this time, and added the quarter round to it.

Momad371-vi.jpg

Momad372-vi.jpg

Momad373-vi.jpg

Momad374-vi.jpg

Momad375-vi.jpg

I know, there's a slight bulge at the top of the surround,and a gap in the lower right corner, but I didn't notice those two things until I got the pictures uploaded, so it looks like I have some more work to do still. Gotta love the camera, it just doesn't lie! Barreling ahead, I cut a piece of mesh out for the upper and lower grilles and did some mock-ups, then threw in the Chrysler wing PE parts just to see how it looks...Mikey likes!

Momad376-vi.jpg

Momad377-vi.jpg

Momad378-vi.jpg

Momad379-vi.jpg

I got about two hours of work in tonight, and all of it was spent on the upper grille. I think I've got it right now, so I tried something out, let me know what you think. I'm considering leaving the insert as it is, painting the center black, and laying the foil in like in the pics, Let me know what you think of this look. It's either this, or open it up and put the mesh on the backside of the insert like the lower grille.

jFqrYrNw6ZnVIVZvMjKHSXY8QJWAmQ-vi.jpg

fiUXGU_S-vi.jpg