Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Momad

Custom Mike

And now a few "overall" shots to let you see how it's gonna look once it's all redone. I like the look much better, but I know it's gonna mean more work and a repaint, but it'll be worth it!

Momad290-vi.jpg

Momad291-vi.jpg

Momad294-vi.jpg

Momad295-vi.jpg

And a couple of shots of the passenger side for comparison, I think the modified window shapes will look much better!

Momad289-vi.jpg

Momad292-vi.jpg

Thanks guys! This one will be done when I'm finally satisfied with the look, no matter what it takes. I compromised on my Concept Charger and I really can't stand it, I won't make the same mistake on this one!

Yeah Bruce, they are. It was one of those weird ideas I'll get once in a while...I gave up on those real quick! Believe me, not all of my insane ideas work out, but every once in a while they do, and I look like some kind of genius!

Edited by Custom Mike

OK, here we go! A buddy over on Scale Avenue did a quick couple of MS Paint versions of an upper grille in the hood, and hit on one that really does the trick! Here's what Jeremy came up with, the Momad script won't be there, but the grille idea itself is solid, so I'm going for it!

Momad5_zps180dd8d2.jpg

I started out marking the area I wanted to remove with a pencil....
Momad300-vi.jpg

Two small holes were drilled at each corner, and larger holes were drilled across the top and bottom edges....
Momad301-vi.jpg

Now the fun part begins, cutting the opening. I used a Photo-Etched saw blade in an X-Acto handle to do this part, and proceeded carefully...
Momad302-vi.jpg

Here's where the first problem popped up. As I was removing the center section, I heard a crack. If you look on the lower left side of the hood, you can see where it's not lined up anymore. I got it glued back together cleanly though, so that little disaster was averted...
Momad303-vi.jpg

A couple of quick passes with a 180 grit sanding stick got it looking like this. The hood's crack still has not been glued back together at this point, so it's still a bit off.
Momad304-vi.jpg

The crack in the hood was glued back together, sanded smooth, and some more sanding stick work was done to smooth everything out and square-up the new hole in the hood...
Momad305-vi.jpg

And now a few shots to see how it looks at different angles...
Momad306-vi.jpg

Momad307-vi.jpg

After getting the hood cleaned up, I removed all the parts from the body that didn't need to be there. Side mirrors, headlight and tail light buckets, and side windows are all now sitting in the interior so I hopefully don't lose them! The Photo-Etched '57 Chevy side trim can't be removed without damaging it, it's epoxied in place, so I'll just have to mask over it and be very careful working on the side window modifications.
Momad308-vi.jpg

Momad309-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

And now I show the second crack. I did this when trying to shape the stainless mesh to fit in the lower grille opening. The stainless is much harder than the brass mesh I used on my '32 5-Window, so it took a bit more force on the basswood buck I made to get it to form properly. After a hearty whack on the basswood buck, a loud crack rang out, but I had a pretty stainless mesh grille at least! The good news is, it's already fixed, so no big worry there.

The stainless mesh grille...and the crack. The good part was, the cracked area on both this and the hood were 90% Acrylic Filler, so a drop of superglue put them both back together good as new!
Momad311-vi.jpg

And the lower grille in brass mesh. I still don't know which one I'm going with at this point, they're just here so I can look at 'em and decide which way I'm gonna go.
Momad312-vi.jpg

And now a couple of shots of the upper and lower grilles in brass.
Momad313-vi.jpg

Momad314-vi.jpg

Momad315-vi.jpg

I'll make up and upper grille in stainless tomorrow night if I get the time, just so I can see how it compares to the brass mesh. Right now the only thing I'm concerned with is getting the upper grille opening finished off, and making a quarter-round surround for both grilles. then I'll start worrying about which one looks right!

Thanks for the compliment Wayne, I appreciate it!

Maybe you could have gone with vinyl like the Sprint Cup series cars do..A decal maybe, it looks good on race cars, why not yours..It could have saved

you some work and damage control...

Maybe it's just me being a glutton for punishment, but I just couldn't do a decal, an open grille looks so much better! Yeah, it's a pain, and yeah, I screwed up twice, but it'll look better being able to see through it in the end!

Greg, I'm not sure about the round bumperettes myself, but I can always mock something up. I talked to a buddy of mine today who does nothing but Military stuff about some Photo-Etched gunsights to go in the upper grille, we'll see how that looks too!

Glenn, all the stuff posted right now is purely mock-ups, but if I like the looks of something, I'll keep it. Right now I'm just trying different styles of mesh and looking for the one style that I like the most with this model. Color doesn't matter yet, that comes later! But the '57 Chevy and Nomad had Gold grilles..... B)

Pat, if you can get some pics of that car, I'd love to see it!

James, thanks brother, now get back to work on that killer '53 Panel!

Dan, I'm leaning toward that stainless mesh just for that reason, it's a match for the original grille!

Chris, I had never heard of the Stagea, but after a quick Google search, I've gotta say, that one cool little wagon! :wub:

Edited by Custom Mike

Thanks Ray!

Dennis, thanks for the high praise, but I just try out new stuff and hope for the best. Doing a custom is hard, but after you get a successful one under your belt, they get easier and easier. It's all about building your confidence with each successful custom you build. I'm at the point now where I can "see" what I want in my head, and I have no doubt I can pull it off. It doesn't work every time, but I'll keep trying until I force my skills to match my vision! It's also made me a better scratch-builder than I ever thought I could be, I have to make things that don't exist all the time on my customs, so now I can make what I need on my other builds with a confidence I never had before!

One day I'll drop my Jo-Han Javelin chassis/interior/engine bay re-engineering project here. If I had never done a custom, I wouldn't have tried tackling this project, but so far, the plan to improve all the flaws in that old Jo-Han kit is coming along beautifully! Maybe that'll be the one that gets attention from a resin caster, who knows?

Edited by Custom Mike

Well, I want to do an update, since I got the grille surround for the lower grille made up Saturday, but Fotki is still down, so I can't. Trust me, it came out looking cool, but it was a long process to say the least, about 10 hours worth of work in all.

The upper grille is gonna be a real pain, I already tried once and scrapped it, so I know I'm in for a fight!

As soon as Fotki gets their stuff together, I'll post the pics!