Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your all time top favorite model?

Reading through these postings I realize how out dated I am. Those foreign cars hold no allure for me. The newer cars, 1970 and above are of no interest at all.

My all time favorite model is the 1940 Ford Coupe from AMT. The one I was able to purchase for $1.03 in 1961.

'53 Ford pick up...most nostalgic (the only model my Dad helped me build!), and the fact there were custom parts, tools, and welding tanks! I bought a re-issue from a few years ago, and haven't built it yet. The first one I rebuilt 3 times, and I still have it in the last iteration I built it in from about 35 years ago!!

Mine? The 1/12 Otaki/Entex/Doyusha/Testors Lamborghini Countach.

Those of a certain age will remember seeing the ads for this kit (from Model Expo) in countless magazines. I bought one, and tube glue in hand managed to somehow build one when I was 12. That accomplishment grows as time goes on since I am struggling to restore one today, and have no idea how I could build one at that age. I am struggling to repeat the task today. Over the years I've built 3...the first one fell off a shelf, and was replaced with a second one built when I was 14 or 15. It still sits on proud display at my parents' house.

IMG_0395-vi.jpg

IMG_0396-vi.jpg

Here's what I started with...

IMG_0407-vi.jpg

010-vi.jpg

Here's how far I got with the restoration. This will be a long-term project, so I put it aside when I got tired of working on it. Sooner than later I need to get back to it though...I really love the engineering that went into this kit, and the challenge of assembly is well worth it when you're done.

Man this is looking sweet, dont give up, your work is awesome and the engine is looking great! I have an original testors edition of this kit that I got at a consignment shop for $40.00 and have gotten the engine block built and part of the frame built and then it has just sat in the box for 6 years, I want to finish it but no inspiration. Your right the engineering in the kit is mind boggling and its such a great scale for super detailing, I wish I could get the motivation to finish mine.

Edited by Darren B

What is your all time single favorite model kit? The one you would build over and over no matter how many times it's reissued or you how many you build.

Example; you can't pick the Kurtis Midget Racer because there are two of them. You would have to pick with either the Offy engine or with the other engine.

Hi, AMT '58 Chevy Impala. Gary B.

1964 JoHan Plymouth Fury convertible. Any rendition of a 64 Plymouth (correctly) would be nice too. The 64 JoHan rag was very nicely done except for the tub interior and bucket seats. Cheaper Fury would have been nice and an engine without any holes in it. Nice kit though. I have two unbuilt in flat boxes and one has the bench seat interior from one of the 63 kits which happens to be the same pattern as the Fury. Their promos had the

Fury with bench seats in them.

hey old hermit, where did that 1/8 409 come from? and the straight six? those are some impressive builds!

personally my "all time top favorite model" is the revell orange crate. how many have i built? zero. i have two of the reissue on the shelf and have yet to tackle one. but its still my favorite kit just from whats in it and the incredible (but fiddly to the max) detail. and i have always loved that chopped and customized 32 vicky body. (sorry if its not exactly a vicky body, im not an expert in the field by any means.)

hey old hermit, where did that 1/8 409 come from? and the straight six? those are some impressive builds!

Thanks for the compliment. I really love building in 1/8 scale.

The 409 came from Bob Hayes and I mastered the inline six.

Edited by old-hermit

That is the hardest of hard questions for me. And I have no explanation for the answer. If you go by how many I have actually had it would be the AMT Merc or the Beer wagon. The BW was one of my very first and it just made a huge impression. Since the 60's, I've probably done 5 or 6. I would actually love to do this in 1:1 scale. I think that it would be one of the easier TD creations to scale up. I realize it wouldn't be a daily driver, but I think it would be a popular thing at the car shows

wolfbat022-1.jpgwolfbat017.jpg

amtmerc041-1.jpg

My best attempts at both to date

Edited by samdiego