Model Cars Magazine Forum

Morris Traveller Parts?? Suggestions Please..

I recently bought a Morris traveller resin body from Bandit Resins off Ebay just like this one..

http://cgi.ebay.com/RESIN-1956-Morris-Traveler-Slammer-Bandit-Resins-/170594093722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b8334a9a

It's a cutie and a very cute and charming little car. This comes as a body only and I'd really like to build this as close to factory stock as possible. There's lots of reference pictures and information on the web but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what kit I can rob a chassis, tires and wheels from? I am thinking that an MG or Triumph sportscar will provide the drive train but I am thinking thatthe chassis will be wrong. Any suggestions??? B):):)

I recently bought a Morris traveller resin body from Bandit Resins off Ebay just like this one..

http://cgi.ebay.com/RESIN-1956-Morris-Traveler-Slammer-Bandit-Resins-/170594093722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b8334a9a

It's a cutie and a very cute and charming little car. This comes as a body only and I'd really like to build this as close to factory stock as possible. There's lots of reference pictures and information on the web but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what kit I can rob a chassis, tires and wheels from? I am thinking that an MG or Triumph sportscar will provide the drive train but I am thinking thatthe chassis will be wrong. Any suggestions??? B):):)

I would thing the Tamia Morris Mini kit would provide the motor and drive train and possibly a chassis that may need to be modified...

I would thing the Tamia Morris Mini kit would provide the motor and drive train and possibly a chassis that may need to be modified...

Only problem there is that the Minor was front engine, rear drive with a separate frame. B) The engine would be correct but nothing else. I am not familiar with the Gunze Sprite kit but I would guess that chassis combined with the Mini engine would get you within kit-bashing distance of where you want to be. A possibility might be parts from the Lindberg Triumph GT6. I don't know that kit and don't know how good the frame is.

Edited by Modelmartin

Thanks guys. I'll look into those possibilities. I am NOT into imports at all but this little guy and the Austins of this vintage do appeal to me. There is a Morris or Austin panel available too that I would like to get and build but only because they are unique. Toyotas and Datsuns and the like just don't move me at all - but to each his own - right? Any other suggestions as to parts sources will be greatly appreciated. Here's how I envision the little car in model form.. Thanks in advance. :):):)

59_Morris_Minor_1000_Traveller_DV_05_HH_011.jpg

Edited by impcon

It appears the engine was based on an Austin, and you might be able to make engine decisions from the information here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Minor

If you need wheels, these look similar to those on a Lotus 7, though they might need a tiny bit of modification...

800px-Morris_Minor_1000_green_woody_l.jpg

Of course, any kit-bashing would depend on whatever the comparative scales are.

If you want to pay a certain amount of money for a 1/12 diecast as a reference, SunStar has it.

Only problem there is that the Minor was front engine, rear drive with a separate frame. :lol: The engine would be correct but nothing else. I am not familiar with the Gunze Sprite kit but I would guess that chassis combined with the Mini engine would get you within kit-bashing distance of where you want to be. A possibility might be parts from the Lindberg Triumph GT6. I don't know that kit and don't know how good the frame is.

In a few words? The frame in the GT6+ is NOT GOOD.

i used a diecast for the basis of this one, i need that resin body for another!

dscn8855io2.gif

i used the wheels and tyres from tamiya lotus seven and i would bet the cosworth motor would be close or at least could be made to be close to the morris with some de-tuning.

The Minor, AFAIK did not have a separate chassis, it had monocoque construction.

The engine was a BMC A-series, so one from a Sprite would be OK (single carb though), but I think the gearbox is different. Front suspension is also different - the Minor had torsion bars. MGBs had a B-series engine and Triumph used their own engines, so neither of those are suitable.

That said, although I am British, I actually know more about American cars from that era, so I'm sure someone else will chime in with more useful information.

i know at least a couple of Morris owners here in california...they have all switched over to japanese (datsun/nissan mostly) motors and running gear. so it wouldnt be too far a stretch to use something like that from the revell datsun 210 i think it was.

dodgefever, you mention a sprite engine. any idea where to get one of those? only sprites i know of are Gunze and i dont believe they came with motor or under the hood detail. they did a nice elan with a twin cam lotus motor though.

by the way thats Jairus Watson's hand lettered graphics on the morris i posted below. i am rather proud he undertook that project and very pleased with how it came out. thanks again jairus!

Edited by jbwelda

Collectible Automobile Magazine's immediately current issue, on newsstands, has quite a comprehensive feature article on the classic Morris Minor series. Well worth picking up!

There was, I believe, a 1/24th scale plastic toy MM Traveler toy a number of years ago, which is where the resin body shell comes from, I believe.

Art

It appears the engine was based on an Austin, and you might be able to make engine decisions from the information here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Minor

If you need wheels, these look similar to those on a Lotus 7, though they might need a tiny bit of modification...

Of course, any kit-bashing would depend on whatever the comparative scales are.

If you want to pay a certain amount of money for a 1/12 diecast as a reference, SunStar has it.

Holy Cow! I looked at the Sunstar die casts.. I wonder what kind of precious metals those things are cast from? I am not that impressed with some of the 1/18 Sun Star models - I have their '60's F100 pickup.. it's not bad.. but nothing to rave about either IMHO. Maybe they've improved their product with the Morris die casts.. talk about sticker shock!! But thank you for the suggestion - it's appreciated. :lol:;):)

They are all over the place in Europe, so best bet is to look around on eBay.co.uk, but I bet there have been a few imported into the USA, I just got no idea what they want for it.

Store prices are between 50 and 60 dollar US and then you need to add shipping, it isn't that bad for something quite different, but you are almost talking Tamiya money.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item588c5eaca0 This price is actually not that bad at all.

I purchased this one:

1771_1.jpg

Where the Landrover has a bit more cartoon-ish dimensions, the Austin has good proportions and you can build it into a nice panelvan.

Edited by The Creative Explorer

Argh morries , i used to play and street race these in the 70's and even now its parked beside the garage rotting away .

You "could" use the motor out of the mini but you'd have to cut the block from where the gearbox meets the block and scratch build a sump .

Now the gearboxs they were bloody huge , when i first pulled it out it looked as big as the road ranger gearbox in the semi trailer i drove at night ,i really dont know what you can substitute for that .It was bolted to the bell housing and went roughly half way up the middle of the car, maybe a sprite gearbox as whats in mine .

The diff was the usual bolt to floor , via normal springs and shackled to the body .

The front suspension was a torsion bar setup that was bolted to a welded to the body cross member half up the floor , and then bolted at the front lower control arm .The cross member also had the tailshaft go through it as well .

If it helps , some of the guys here in sydney put datsun 1200 motors and gearboxs in them until the DMV caught on and said you needed engineers cert as morrie had 1000 motor and dato was a 1200 .

The wheels were bigger than minis so you cant use those , factory four stud.

Any way thats all i can remember at the moment that maybe able to help you .

They are all over the place in Europe, so best bet is to look around on eBay.co.uk, but I bet there have been a few imported into the USA, I just got no idea what they want for it.

Store prices are between 50 and 60 dollar US and then you need to add shipping, it isn't that bad for something quite different, but you are almost talking Tamiya money.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item588c5eaca0 This price is actually not that bad at all.

I purchased this one:

1771_1.jpg

Where the Landrover has a bit more cartoon-ish dimensions, the Austin has good proportions and you can build it into a nice panelvan.

Thank you. I'll look into shipping costs to North America.. I like that kit ( the Austin ) as it's different and to me anyways, I like stuff that is different and unique and besides, it's a cutie. I am not very fond of most imports ( to North America ) but I do like a lot of the English cars because of their design which I find charming. I really wouldn't mind having a 1:1 old Morris or Austin and I have owned a couple of late '50's/early 60's Vauxhauls when I was much younger - a Victor I loved them because they were simple to work on and fun to drive. If nothing else, if I can't find the right components, I'll build the Traveler as a curbside but I'd really rather have the hood - oops - I mean, bonnet :D opening. It's too bad that they don't cast a stock interior, chassis and engine for this model.

The Minor, AFAIK did not have a separate chassis, it had monocoque construction.

I might be confused, but the '62 Morris Traveler in the carport has a separate frame and body. The Mini had the monocoque chassis.

You should be able to modify sprite running gear if you can find them.

The wheels are 4x14, and use 165/14 tires. They are not the same as the mini's, but would be the same size as a VW beetle. I have seen a few injection molded Morris Minors, but they are very few and far between. You might be best off to find something like a stock Anglia, and modify that well enough to pass.

Alternatively, you could just go curbside.

Let me know if you need any pictures. Just promise not to laugh at its condition. :D

I might be confused, but the '62 Morris Traveler in the carport has a separate frame and body. The Mini had the monocoque chassis.

You should be able to modify sprite running gear if you can find them.

The wheels are 4x14, and use 165/14 tires. They are not the same as the mini's, but would be the same size as a VW beetle. I have seen a few injection molded Morris Minors, but they are very few and far between. You might be best off to find something like a stock Anglia, and modify that well enough to pass.

Alternatively, you could just go curbside.

Let me know if you need any pictures. Just promise not to laugh at its condition. B)

Dave - you have mail! :P