Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford Sedan Street Rod

mrmike

Influence is a big thing. It can make you want to do something, do something like it, or not do something at all. As a member of the Classic Plastic Model Club, I have seen several members' Street Rods over the last several months and it has influenced me to want to build one myself. At the last meeting, member Dave Perkins brought in his AMT '32 5-Window Street Rod WIP and that was the push I needed to start this one. I am building Revell's '32 Ford Sedan Street Rod kit with the Ford 302 engine and auto trans. Unless I decide to put a Hemi in it! B)

32SR01.jpg

For this build, I am using Testors One Coat Revving Red. This is my first time using this paint.

32SR02.jpg

32SR03.jpg

More to come.....

Edited by mrmike

Rob, I must admit that I really know nothing about flatheads that warrants any real interest for me. While they were/are quite popular in some circles, it really doesn't gather the interest that a modern V-8 does. For the street rod version, a flathead doesn't scream power as I think it is a bit undersize compared to the Ford 302. I took advantage of the 50 degree weather today to get out onto the roof to remove most of the heavy snow on it and to think about some things including the '32 Street Rod. I'm sure I have two complete Hemis in my parts box, but I am going to stick with the kit 302 and maybe change to a dual carb setup or change the air cleaner to a racier unit. After doing a few builds with plenty of kitbashing and scratch-building, maybe I'll stick to some mostly box stock type of builds for a while.

Thanks Dr. Cranky! Every year in August, I attend the New Hampshire Street Rod Ass'n. Show-N-Shine with at least 600+ cars from all over New England in attendance. I see many '32 Ford Sedans that are red in color and this says to me...STREET ROD! So, the influence here is the color red (amongst others) for this build.

Thanks Charlie and Bruce! This is a good kit and it appears to share several componants with the '32 High Boy kit which I built several years ago.

After searching through my parts box, to no avail, for a different induction system for the 302, I have decided to build the engine out of the box.

32SR04.jpg

There is a lot of parts to paint here! It is a lot of Revving Red and it looks great!

32SR05.jpg

32SR06.jpg

More to come.....

Thank you Marcos for the recommendation! That supercharger looks like a great piece to add if I was using the flathead engine. I am using the modern Ford 302 engine from the kit for this build. I do have the Revell '48 Ford Woody and I wonder if the flathead parts or the entire flathead motor would fit the Woody with little to no mods? I'll find out when I get to building the Woody.

Thank you Marcos for the recommendation! That supercharger looks like a great piece to add if I was using the flathead engine. I am using the modern Ford 302 engine from the kit for this build. I do have the Revell '48 Ford Woody and I wonder if the flathead parts or the entire flathead motor would fit the Woody with little to no mods? I'll find out when I get to building the Woody.

mike..get an Ardun flattie for that woodie...Power and looks.....It comes in the 50 ford pu from revell

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

The R&M blower looks great on this one..

Looking great. I agree with the engine choice - the rest of this kit (suspension, disc brakes) doesn't flow so well with the classic flathead. I like the look of the newer engine with the build.

I just picked one of these up and moved it to the front of the queue, so thanks for posting!

Looks great so far Mike. I have this kit myself and am looking at taking an engine from one of the Revell Mustang KR kits to put into this. I'm not sure what mods I'd have to do to make a conversion like that work, but at least it would be Ford powered and i haven't seen this kit with one of those engines used...yet.

Nice color combo and clean build, as always Mike. She's gonna be another head turner! :mellow:

Thanks Greg, Brian, and Terry!

I have finished the interior.

32SR10.jpg

I did a mockup to see where I am going with this build. I have decide not to install the bumpers, instead I'm using the frame bars for a splash of chrome on the front and rear. I am undecided on painting the steps between the fenders. I kinda like the red steps, but then again... And, I am considering changing the wheels to American Racing Torque Thrusts.

32SR11.jpg

32SR12.jpg

More to come.....

Well Greg, I have decided on the Torque Thrusts. The wires are nice for a rather sedate looking ride. But the Torque Thrusts give the '32 Sedan a more I have also decided on not painting the steps flat black and will leave them as is in red.