Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 917 '71 Daytona winner - race ready.

classic

Hello all,

my first model post on the forum.

Fujimi kit painted with Zero colour matched Gulf colours. Most of the Studio 27 etch fret. I added the tape on the front to try and mimic the race preparation put on the car, as per box art photo. Tamiya tape was used with strips of black decal around the headlight covers, finally all oversprayed in Gulf blue even down to the overspray on the tear-off strips.

A nice kit to build apart from the dash-top assembly, dunno what Fujimi were thinking of, letting that out, not a quality move.

Here are some pics.

015.jpg

008-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

012-2.jpg

011-1.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Steve.

Edited by classic

Fantastic. I too love the little details. The over spray is interesting.

Chris

It's a great build, and the overspray on the headlight covers looks perfect. I wonder how that came to be on the 1:1. Repairs during the race?

Picture1-1.png

Edited by sjordan2

Thanks for the kind words on my build guys.

On the dashboard panel, Fujimi have made a bit of a mistake with the tubing that the panel sits on. The pin and hole fixings are a bit askew and one of the holes is not moulded on the tubing. To be honest, it is an easy fix but a bit suprising from this manufacturer and a bit annoying considering what they charge for it.

I am not entirely sure why the tape was applied to the front end. An educated guess, bearing in mind the box contains a pic of the car straight after winning the race, is that the protective tape was applied, not to repair or hide damage, but to protect the finish so that it could be ripped off, when the car won, and the car could be viewed in a clean condition.

I hope I explained that OK, my sentances could have been constructed better!

The S27 etch fret contains the usual stuff like hood catches, wiper (very nice), steering wheel spokes. etc. One handy item is a paint mask for the tyre lettering, that will be useful for resin kits without tyre decals. I used the tyre decals in the kit for this build but I think a better look could be achieved with the masking plate. I am currently building a Fisher 917 LH so I will try it out on that.

Kind regards,

Steve.