Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will nothing remove this stuff?

oldscool

What is this indestructible clear coat that Revell uses underneath their chrome? I use Purple Power to strip chrome and paint and this is the only thing I have found so far that it won't strip off. Chrome comes off in 5 mins but the clear never budges.

grumpy gus

Edited by GrumpyGus

I just experienced this too on a set of wheels I worked on this week. Never seen it before. I use whitewall cleaner to strip and it seems to bust through it pretty good. It got it all pretty loose. I just had to use a toothpick and an old toothbrush with running water to get the rest of it off. You might try it!

DoubleD (Dave Zinn) has reported that Dawn Power Dissolver will remove the clear coat under chrome. Unfortunately,I've not been able to find it yet to give it a try. ;) You might try oven cleaner to see if it will bring it off.

Easy Off won't work on the undercoat.

I already tried it on my AMT '65 Pontiac 2+2 front grill. I got the chrome off, but haven't found anything that will remove the undercoat

Would brake fluid work?

got some amt bumpers in the dunk..tried the purple pond, bleach. now easy off..still isnt budging....

Are you guys using the yellow can Easy Off and NOT the "fume free" stuff?? That fume free junk is worthless IMO. If it's not working, either Easy Off isn't as potent as it used to be, or the model companies are now using some mighty potent undercoating which the only result might be sanding it away. B)

Why do you need to remove it ? If all these things wont disturb it, no form of paint will either. I just scuff it a bit and paint over it, no problem.

I want to remove it because it softens the detail like a thick coat of paint does. Especially on small parts like the alternator and carbs.

grumpy gus