Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Here is the breathers compared to one another.... white strong & flexible on left and frosted Ultra detail on right:

DP-Army-Vega5945-1_zpsf506b876.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5946-1_zps700655be.jpg

Here is the Fire Bottle Mounts in Frosted Ultra Detail:

DP-Army-Vega5948-1_zps0e1d6df6.jpg

Here is the Fire Bottle Mounts in White strong and flexible:

DP-Army-Vega5951-1_zps66a6c194.jpg

Here are other parts of the Fire Suppression System. The bottle I printed just for mock up. I will have a bottle turned from Aluminum and the Valve body and knob I will have printed in the frosted ultra detail but I also think that I should have the valve body machined from aluminum as well:

DP-Army-Vega5959-1_zpsd6d18e6b.jpg

Hi Bob.... you are correct that there are some lines in the frosted. I can tell you this much the frosted ultra detail material is so much softer and easier to sand. I used some of the tdr brake calipers on the rear end and I had no issues sanding. Now the White strong and flexible is the pain to sand because it is much harder. Also the price difference on the breathers is about $4.00 ea so about $8.00 for a pair. I will definitely show you the results when I get to starting to sand them. I will let the primer dry for a day or two. before I mess with them...lol who knows maybe I will be sanding them tomorrow night...haha. But will keep you posted so you can see how they turn out.

I have bought some stuff from Shapeways/TDR Innovations printed in the frosted ultra detail medium, a 18-71 blower and a set of Chevrolet 572 Valve covers in 1:24-1:25 scale and they looked very nice with very little cleanup.

I wish I knew how to use a CAD program as I have a couple of older style Weld Racing wheels I would have liked to do for a Funny Car project as nothing like the ones I want to replicate are available...I thought in the line of doing new inserts for the So-Real / Pegasus Hobbies Weld Magnum PRO 1:24 scale drag racing wheels...but I don't have a CAD program nor can I use it as I have never been in contact with anything like that.

Edited by Force

Chris, It'll be 1/25...Ok, I see, but, if those ones you're showing here are first prints, I think they all looks pretty good. Ok,it won't be a problem to drill the holes..I would send for the Frosted Ultra Detailed ones...The breathers and the Fire Bottle mounts...Let me know as soon as you can..

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Simon....thanks. would you prefer the breethers to be 1/24th or 1/25th? Guess i could make both available although I think I will leave the mounting holes off on these so it will print ok. The modeler will have to drill the holes if they want them. I will admit I am a little nervous releasing these in 1/24...1/25 without seeing them printed and havungvacsetvin my hands to look at before making them avaliable. I wonder if i shoukd have a set printed first to double check them. i just feek there may be a risk onthe first set is all.

ok guys I sanded on the breathers and added more primer for about an hour to hour and half tonight for the first round of body work on these. The don't look too bad although I will be sanding some more with some finer paper this time. I had just used a fine pink sanding stick and some 500 grit paper to get the printing lines and I think looks goo for the first go around. Then I added some primer to see how they looked and here is the results.... They do need some more primer and some more sanding:

DP-Army-Vega5963-1_zpsf8f6d821.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5966-1_zps1647700f.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5971-1_zpsc9d2a091.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5974-1_zpsb91f522e.jpg

Here is set them on the valve cover to get a look at them:

DP-Army-Vega5975-1_zps62c9bc3a.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5976-1_zps07bcf5e3.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5977-1_zps7935a767.jpg

Chris,

For a first go around with the sanding and primer the look really great. The world of printing is fascinating and growing every day. I have some shapeways parts I bought through a vendor. How were they to work with on a one to one. As always looking good!!

Jimmy "RASS"

P.S. Are your gears grinding? lol

Jimmy... Thanks, yeah it doesn't look too bad for the first go around. This Frosted Ultra detail material sands very easy. I have to say i am fascinated with this 3D printing technology as well. Shapeways was really easy to work with. Once you upload your part it analyzes the model showing areas of concern if any and gives you pricing in a few mins. You know my gears are turning. Sent you a PM

Tom... thank you

Bob... thank you. I have to say that the writting turned out better than I thought. I didn't know if it would even work that small. I will have to take a pic of it next to a penny for reference so you can see how small it is.

Brad... thank you. yes they cleaned up quite nice. You are right we have a winner :D. I think i may do what you suggested for the blower and add a light wash of black around the letter to make them pop.

Edited by Mooneyzs

3D printing is really going to be the future for this hobby. Once the digital model exists for a part it makes it easy to make refinements.

Another great tool for a lot of things. As with anything it has its strength s and weaknesses. Right now there seems to need some cleanup but it didn't look as bad a the resin blower.

Chris maybe you should try doing the front of the blower with a 3D part. I would be curious to see how the lettering would be on that.

Yes Chris. in 1/25...If you can do the fire bottle as well, I'll take it too...But for now, the 1'25 breathers and the fire bottle mounts in frosted ultra detail, and like I told you before, I'm in some kind of hurry...hehehe

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Simon sounds good I will get them scaled down to 1/25th. I think I did 1/24th another time. You would also like the fire bottle mounts? what about firebottle.... well not in the white material but the frosted Ultra detail...lol

Bob... you are so right about the 3D printing that it has its strengths and weakness. Your part isn't going to ever be perfect like a kit part coming from an injected mold process and there is some clean up and work. But isn't this what this hobby is about is being creative and having fun. That's what I am doing with it and having a blast. all of the extra sanding and hard work I have been putting into this is going to pay off when its all done. You have read my mind about the blower, You will have to hang tight because as soon as I am done drawing up the Hilborn Fuel pump I was going to mess around with the blower.

Simon... Sounds good about the firebottles. I will need to work on getting those files created.

Ok Fellas... a little morning teaser from what I did Friday night. its not much of an update but I did get the breathers mounted to the valve covers. so now the valve covers can get their final sanding and will be ready for paint. I did some fun shots of the engine just to play around. I have a couple of house chores I was going to work on then I was going to spend the rest of the day at the bench on this. So I am hoping to possibly have some good progress today. Some of the day may be working on drawing up a few of the other parts so I can get them done and printed. Here are a few pics to tease you all with....

Here is the engine with the oil breathers mounted:

DP-Army-Vega5981-1_zps60c0c4fd.jpg

This shot shows how you can read the EP on the side of the breather:

DP-Army-Vega5986-1_zps6e34cb03.jpg

Front View:

DP-Army-Vega5988-1_zpsbf274778.jpg

Opposite side:

DP-Army-Vega5989-1_zpsfe7c52a9.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5993-1_zpsd5185d1f.jpg

Backside:

DP-Army-Vega5996-1_zpsad48790b.jpg

Brad... LOL I think I am a little nuts... haha Well I guess the little mini me I stole from Johnny T is slacking off his duties.... not used to the AZ weather and all...haha. I had to go back and look at pics and oops they didn't get torqued down propperly...haha

Its always a pleasure to meet up with ya. I had a blast chatting with everyone yesterday.

Tim... Thanks man. I don't know if I can do every build at this level but I will do my best with detailing but trying not to make a career out of it...LOL

Ok fellas I did a little work today which its not much but I sanded the fire bottle brackets and added another coat of primer. They look great and think are ready for a final sand and then primer. Then I sanded on the oil breathers with 1000 grit paper and added more primer to them. Little bummed that one of them I lost a little of the detail of the EP on the side. not sure if it was due to maybe a tad too much primer or what... Here's a few shots...

One side of the fire bottle bracket:

DP-Army-Vega5998-1_zps79b48d35.jpg

Other side:

DP-Army-Vega6001-1_zpsae5a0cbb.jpg

Here are the breathers and you can see how the one EP lost a little of its detail:

DP-Army-Vega6004-1_zps7a7ed192.jpg

The other side:

DP-Army-Vega6006-1_zps9f1cf176.jpg

I've been following this build forever and the attention to detail is insane (or on par with the cars I illustrate.... which is also insane) I have one question though considering how much time you spent on the blower. Didn't Prudhomme always run Pink/Black engines? as in Ed Pink Blowers and KB short engines?
http://www.insidetopalcohol.com/showthread.php?24138-Ed-Pink-Magnesium-Blower-FOR-SALE!!!-Rare-Hard-to-Find!!!