Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Dave.... Thank you so much Buddy!

Jimmy... Thank you. You are right that race teams change things up all the time...lol.

Bob.... Thank you so much. I knew were you were coming from on the spoiler. The spoiler that came in the kit was completely wrong in my opinion. Here are some shots of the spoiler of the real car as promised. I apologize that some of the pics aren't better but they are all I was able to find on the innerweb

20100630083326614_zps3c530cca.jpeg

Army-12copy_zpsa551d53d.jpg

Army-17copy_zpse695036f.jpg

Army-18copy_zps8c8133f2.jpg

Army-10copy_zpsbb32694b.jpg

Bob I will take a look at the You Tube video to see if there is any good shots I can screen capture of the spoiler as well.

Chris, I had a laugh and a trip down memory lane when I saw Lil John Butteras name on the back of Snakes car. That had to be one of the last funny cars that John had built as he was getting more into street rods, bikes and INDY CARS ( the Iinterscope/ Danny O/ Snake Indy deal/ & Lil John they were all mates) If you look up R & B chassis on the internet you will see that the B in R & B chassis of Kenosha, WI is John Buttera. the other half of the duo was Dennis Rollain, The company that I used to be part owner of (HVAC and Metal Fabrication) used to sell materials to these two on a regular basis. I didn't know John that well as he moved to the west coast as I was coming on board at the company. I became great friends with Denny over the years and John would visit and work in Dennys shop as Johns family still lived in Kenosha. John built and entered a car at Indy in 81 or 82 and much of that car was built in Kenosha at Dennys shop of which I sold them a lot of material. It is indeed a small world we live in. jimmy "Rass"

Dave.... Thank you so much Buddy!

Jimmy... Thank you. You are right that race teams change things up all the time...lol.

Bob.... Thank you so much. I knew were you were coming from on the spoiler. The spoiler that came in the kit was completely wrong in my opinion. Here are some shots of the spoiler of the real car as promised. I apologize that some of the pics aren't better but they are all I was able to find on the innerweb

20100630083326614_zps3c530cca.jpeg

c

Chris if you look at the 2nd and 3rd shots and compare the molded in portion of the spoiler on the body you can see that the model's body portion is a litle thick. .

Do you see what I'm talking about? If you could sand down the body portion of the spoiler it would look better relative to your brass extension you made. Just a thought. Keep up the good work.

Army-12copy_zpsa551d53d.jpg

Army-17copy_zpse695036f.jpg

Army-18copy_zps8c8133f2.jpg

Army-10copy_zpsbb32694b.jpg

Bob I will take a look at the You Tube video to see if there is any good shots I can screen capture of the spoiler as well.

Bob... I think i know what you are tslking about. I will add a photo of the body and wing later when I get home and I will add an arrow to it to make sure i am understanding. But on the real car I belive you are talking about the area in the white color portion on the rear of the car, correct? I will definity take a look at it and you know I will need to fix it...lol

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris, The youtube vid is pretty good and the Snake narrates it. It looks like some of the pictures posted appear to be in Snakes shop and may be part of that Vid. The vid has some great shots.

Bob, With the side shots now I can see you are spot on with regards to the body on the model and the 1:1 It's much thinner on the 1:1

Jimmy "RASS"

Jimmy... the video is pretty sweet to watch. Yep you are correct about some of the pics. As the video was playing I would pause it and hit print screen and then paste it into my photoshop program, crop and save he pic. It was the inly way I could find more pics of the car besides what was on the snake racing website of the vega. Thats all I have to go by... lol

Bob.... I do have to agree with you that it needs to be thinned out at those spots. As far as the rear window piece goes, I think I will make one out of plastic as a template to check the fit out. I would love to be able to take a stab and make a photoetch piece out of brass for the rear window. I havr a few ideas how I am gonna approach the rear window and Ibmay end yp trying them all to see which tur s oit better.

Chris and Bob, As you two know all of those grilles, headlights, taillights etc were airbrushed back In the day to give the faux appearance. Their is a 3 part youtube video of Kenny Youngblood doing said procedures on a Mustang Nostalgia Funny. It's fascinating to see him perform his magic!! Check it out. Jimmy "Rass"

Glenn... Thank you. I did get some bench time in this evening and finished up the bodywork on the tins. I also got another couple coats of primer on it and letting it dry. I will have some pics up of it tomorrow and hoping to get some work done on the engine.

Brad.... hey Buddy glad you are checking in. I do have an update to show just disnt get a chance to do anyrhing last night or get on my computer to post pics. My Dog was acting funny and walking with a limp yesterday when I got home from work. i was trying to figure out how he hurt it. Just hope it is a pulled muscle and nothing bad at all. Needless to say I was stressing aboit it. So I was keeping an eye on him and am taking gim to the vet here in a little bit. I will get pics up when i get home this afternoon of the car and planning in getting in some bench time as well.

Gotta hate it when the puppy is hurtin'.

Haven't reared my head up in a while, but I've been watching progress Chris. Actually, checking on your build is a daily habit.

Incredible progress. We're all itching for you to get on the engine as much as you are. Can't wait to see it all gussied up with plumbing and details, sitting between the frame rails.

When it's contest ready have you considered putting a 6" X 18" sponge down in front of any display you'll be using? Or you could have people put on a chin strap before viewing to keep their mouths closed.

We all know that day is coming.

Chris, I hope the pooch is ok & looking forward to a update! I haven't been around! Last Thursday I took a big tumble and broke my left leg so I have been taking up space at the hospital. Did you get a chance to check out the Youngblood Video's? jimmy "RASS"

Chris, I hope the pooch is ok & looking forward to a update! I haven't been around! Last Thursday I took a big tumble and broke my left leg so I have been taking up space at the hospital. Did you get a chance to check out the Youngblood Video's? jimmy "RASS"

I hope your leg heals well, you'll be in my thoughts.

Me too, can't wait for a update .. :D

Hey Everyone.... I just wanted to say thank you for all of the warm wishes for my dog and asking how he is. Took him to the vet earlier this morning and after his Dr. saw him she wanted to do some X-rays. So he had to stay at the vet for a while because they needed to sedate him so they could take the X-rays. I got to pick him up this afternoon and he is doing good. I found out that he has Spinal Arthritis and had some inflammation which was probably causing the pain he was in yesterday. So He was sent home with some pain meds and some meds for the imflammation. My boy will be 9 this year and just like us dogs get old and he will be on some meds to keep the inflammation down. He is a trooper and doing good.

anyway back to the build. I apologize for rambling on about my dog. Here are some pics I have been meaning to post for the past few days. I am at the point where I feel I can officially say that the Tin Fabrication work is done. I have shot pretty much the last coat of primer on it and now going to let it dry really good for a week or so. It feels great to have it at this point since I feel I have been reworking the tins for a while...lol. There are two spots on the dash where it looks like the body work swelled or popped from the primer. Those areas I may lightly sand and mist some more primer in those areas and It will be ready for paint. Now I can't wait to paint it but then its going to suck to have to cut and trim all of the rivets after that...lol Alright I will get on with the pics.....hehe

Here is the dash once again, and as mentioned there are a couple spots which you may be able to notice where the primer made some of the body work pop that I will lightly sand and mist some primer in those areas:

DP-Army-Vega5537-1_zpsadb4648e.jpg

Here is an overall shot of the tins, views of two different angles:

DP-Army-Vega5539-1_zps29abe088.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5540-1_zps227acacc.jpg

Here is the firewall, I do need to drill out all of the rivet holes to help prevent paint build up in them:

DP-Army-Vega5542-1_zpsa4fc0577.jpg

Here are some shots of the bottom side of the tins from different views:

DP-Army-Vega5543-1_zps67e65382.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5545-1_zps664073da.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5547-1_zps18533b4a.jpg

Now I am anxious to get this body tin painted but the weather here has been really humid and hot.... But I am also wanting to repaint my chassis tins which I will be striping and re primering, which my plan would be to spray the same color as the body tin. It makes sense for me to get the chassis tins prepped so that I can spray everything at the same time since I need to mix up the automotive paint that I will be spraying for this. Stay tuned and I will be back on the engine now. my plan is to get back to the valve covers and I have to draw up the breather/blow off vent and then I will be making some valve cover gaskets and finishing the body work on the valve covers. Thank you for following along.