Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Brad... Thank you my friend. I am not sure which I like best at the moment. The Brass one is .010" thick and the Aluminum is .016" When I go drill the rivets out I think the aluminum will be much easier to drill but the brass is probably more correct for a scale thickness. Here is a shot of the real back window

LA2010Rod-8621_zpsfifpgaan.jpeg

Danno... Thank you buddy!!!

John... What can I say my friend... I don't think I have ever gotten the "WOW" factor from you. Umm I don't think anyone has ever crapped a twinkie looking at my stuff Rolling%20On%20the%20Floor_zpszxzwuolv.g

Clayton... Thank you. You are right having those proper tools helps as well. I feel sorta lucky that the guys at work were willing to help me out with this. No way I could of machined this on my own.

Bob... Thank you very much. I know this was going an extra mile or two. I could of made the panel out of plastic but no way in the world would I of gotten the slots to all match.

Ray... Thank you man!! I think its pretty cool in my book. ;)

Hi Chris, this is good stuff you have going here! It's fun to check out the updates and to see how things are done in 1:1, and then applied to modelling.

I'll bet that Joe is even thinking about one of them millin' mo-sheens for the hobby room in his new house.

Michael

Edited by 10thumbs

Paul... I think maybe John accidentally ate one of his minions by chance... lol

Micheal... Thanks. yeah I wish I had the 3 Grand to go buy the Sherline machines that I want for home. I feel lucky that a couple of the guys at work don't mind helping me machine a few parts here and there. I had designed the fire bottle and it was turned on a CNC lathe as well.

Bob... I bet the part could of been laser cut. Although I would not know what company I could of went to for that. One of my other original ideas was to have this window 3D printed to see how it turned out but I am glad I just had these machined first because of how well they turned out. The co worker that helped me yesterday is supposed to run a bunch more for me tomorrow as I wanted extra. I figured since the set up time took a while which was longer than actually machining the parts. the parts took about an hour to run and it made 4 parts by stacking material up on each other and He will either double or triple the material stack up this time.

Art... Thanks buddy.

Tim.. Thanks my friend. I wish I could take all of the credit for machining them but I can't...lol.

Joe... Get it right. I think those sheets cost me only $2.70 a pop.... hahaha. Yea I figured that if the guys don't mind I will try to have them do some stuff here and there for me. Heck I just need to draw the stuff in Solidworks and give them a parasolid of the 3D model and he can program it in the CNC program they use to create the tool paths to cut the material.

Ok Fellas... I am going to go and see how many Rivets I can cut in a hour. Man I have been dreading this part of the build, I think its why I didn't do any work yesterday or today so far on it.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Dave... thank you. You are welcome for sharing.

John.. thanks brother. That made my day.

Mike... thanks but please don't quit. I have learned so much from all of the amazing builders here and if mybsriff helps others learn as well that is a bonus

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Fellas... I totally forgot that I took some video of the machining process and I meant to post it along with the pics. Here are a few videos for you to check out....

Here is a short video that is cutting the slots. You will see the top template holding down the pieces being cut:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Mooneyzs/media/Plastic%20Models/1974%20Vega%20Army%20Funny%20Car/DP-Army-Vega%207393_zpsyjaa9anx.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

Here is the first pass for the profile of the outside of the window:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Mooneyzs/media/Plastic%20Models/1974%20Vega%20Army%20Funny%20Car/DP-Army-Vega%207394_zpsrnkta1nk.mp4.html?sort=3&o=1

Here was I believe the 2nd to last past of cutting the profile out:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Mooneyzs/media/Plastic%20Models/1974%20Vega%20Army%20Funny%20Car/DP-Army-Vega%207395_zpshgqk840f.mp4.html?sort=3&o=2

Scott... thank you very much. The rivets shouldn't be too bad to do. I will transfer drill the holes from the the body that I already did. I will be working on this soon hopefully. Would like to get it knocked out so I can start blocking the body out and getting it reqdy for paint.