Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Steve.... Thank you for the kind comments aboit the rear body structure. I am hoping to get more of the frnt done tonight when I get home from work. I started on the front yesterday and made some good progress. Hoping to get it mounted tonight. And will post some pics of it as well.

As far as soldering goes. I picked up a Weller pencil solder iron from home depot for around 20 bucks and that is what I use to solder my brass tube/rod together with.

Rodger.... thank you!

Steve....you are welcome about the info on alclad. I have only shot a couple of the colors so far. Although I have a nice collection. They are fairly easy to use and you dont really need ro use a whole lot. Theor videos help rhat they have or you can even you tube videos on it too. I bet you can mail order the colors so you dont have to make the 180 mile drive.. lol. They are really nice paints to work with.

Steve.... you are welcome. the solder that I am currently using is some stuff I picked up from home depot from BernaOmatic and its silver bearing rosin core solder. I do want to pick up some silver solder and try that but I know its a little more expensive.

Well I have gotten a little bit of progress on the front body bracing. I was able to get the start of the structure done but I still have more parts that will make it up. I had a little mishap with my little rod ends I was creating and they kept breaking when I was drilling them out so I tired another way and was happy with my test run. I will redo those parts tomorrow because I need to get to bed. Anyway here are a few initial shots to show you what I have so far......

Here is the initial structures I created. I started out with a plastic template of what I wanted and then proceeded to copy it in brass:

DP-Army-Vega2866-1_zpsb7fb1d49.jpg

Here is a front view and keep in mind that when I do get everything in place that they will be straight up and down and will have a support rod that connects the two and there will be bracing that will go from these pieces towards the front bumper as well:

DP-Army-Vega2862-1_zps440039c8.jpg

Here is a somewhat side view of the structure, I need to trim down and drill out the rod ends so they will fit in the body mount tabs. When I get them trimmed and drilled out, I will put bolts thru them. Then get them position in the locations I want them to be in and glue the body mount pads in place:

DP-Army-Vega2856-1_zps7d0a6075.jpg

That is completely cool. Nicely done. You're really breaking new ground with these body mounts.

A question: will the solder connections be strong enough for you to put strain on when you trim down the rod ends?

Edited by gasser59

Dave.... thank you.

Bill... thanks bud.

Brad...thanks man.... i am trying to make it as real as possible. And to answer your question the solder joint is much stronget than you woukd think and i have had some good luck with them so far. And if you think about it there really won't be much weight from the paint and body on the mounts. I did consider using RB Motion rod ends but when I did find some reference pics it looked like all they did on the real cars is weld a tube perpendicular to another tube. Hope that description makes sense.

Mike.... thanks again. I appreciate the kind words.

Ira...thank you for stopping by and checking in on the progresd.

John....thanks bud for the encouragement. I am really wanting to have this frint body structure dine by the DSC so I can show everyone there that progress in person. I am also trying to complete and old 16 year old build.... the purple FED in time for the show too. All parts were pretty much done way back then and I just need to install them and finish that build so I can have a completed kit at DSC lol

Jim... thank you for the kind words and motivation. Everyonce in a while I get discouraged that some of my progress is slow on this build. I am hoping to have some more progress pics up soon.

Brad... Thanks bud. Looking forward to you getting to see this in person next week. The picture in my avatar is a gear shifter knob from Mooneyes aka. Moon Equipment I saw it and loved it on their website and had to save the pic. I actually have a resin Shift Knob from Jimmy Flinstone that is a little similar that I want to do. Here is a pic of the shift knob I picked up from him a while back:

Pics018-1_zpsdd3a1d8c.jpg

Good Morning Fellas.... well Last night I got some time in at the bench and was able to get phase one of the front body supports completed. The body mount pads have been located and glued in to position. The rod ends for the structure were made. I kept test fitting and test fitting making sure I was good with where the locations were. I also had trouble with the rod ends with how I was making them with brass rod and brass tube, which I had gotten fustrated with but its ok because I only had to remake it about 3 times....lol. I now need to add a support piece between these to pieces I am showing here. Once I get that piece located and put into place I will then get the front end glued in and then make the portion of the structure that runs to the front of the car connecting to the front clip. Here are a few pics to show you.

Here I have the car upside down so that I could get everything lined up and in position that I wanted, and I applied a small dab of weld on #3 to hold it into place so I could make sure it was were I wanted:

DP-Army-Vega2867-1_zps5c58520b.jpg

Next I had flipped the car over to make sure I was happy with where things were. Held the front clip up to it and it looked fine. Then the body was flipped back over so I could glue the pads in for good;

DP-Army-Vega2877-1_zps0a2b9ac1.jpg

Here I just propped the body up so you would be able to see how it looked hanging:

DP-Army-Vega2873-1_zps68d52347.jpg

Another Angle:

DP-Army-Vega2875-1_zps4571163d.jpg

Henry... thank you

Mike...thank you bud. I am really happy with how this has turned out so far. I totally spaced it last night getting a side view with the body down. I was up late fighting with this for a bit but i did get all I wanted to get done bedore going to bed. I will get a side view pic for you.

John... thanks my friend. I am looking forward to showing you this next week.my goal is to have the rest of this front body bracing done by The Desert scale Classic. The only part I may not have totally complete is the working body latch that I am going to do for it.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Danno... thanks bud. I better start brewing coffee if I want to get it painted by then... LOL

Dave... thank you!! Yes I will be adding more of the support structure to the body. The front still has more that will get attached to the front grille area. I jist wasnt able to get it done yet since I still need to glue the front panel on. Then there is another on the sides to the hood area i will be doing. Besides the body Tin that will have to be done as well. Hopefully I am making sense.