Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Scott... thank you bud! I couldnt agree with you more about keep doing things right and hust take my time.

Art... thank you. Bud!! I have been a little slower on this build lately than I would like to be. May be i will be able to have it done for the NNLs in Southern California this year.

I cant wait to leave work in an hour because I plan to spend most of the evening at the workbench on this build tonight.

Darryl.... thanks Buddy!!

Joe... thanks bud.

Well everyone I was able to make some more progress on the rear body bracing tonight and pretty happy with it so far. I was able to get the mount pads glued to the rear body panel and get the tubes made and mounted for those guys. I still have some clean up work which I will be sanding and filing the solder joints down. I also need to figure out the mount pads for the sides and cutting down the main tube the body is pivoting on. I apologize that they pictures aren't the best, seems I have been having trouble with my little point and shoot camera. Here are the pics....

Here are the mounting pads that I got mounted on rear body panel:

DP-Army-Vega2819-1_zpsbc4e4158.jpg

Here is the rear body bracing mocked up and in place, the two tubes on the side will get cut down and mounts made to go on the side:

DP-Army-Vega2810-1_zps5dd511e8.jpg

Here is the rear body mount out of the car all of the parts have been soldered together. When I was working on this tonight I was thinking I was going to have to super glue the middle bracing in but I got it in place on the body and figured what the heck and see if I could get it soldered in because it was my preference. I was afraid of heating the brass up to much and causing it to do something to the body or let the other joints loose. I am happy to say I didn't have any trouble with it and it went smoothly for me:

DP-Army-Vega2823-1_zpsd220ab28.jpg

Here is a side view of the bracing to show the tubes that I soldered on the ends for the bolts to go thru. I used 1/32" tubing for all of this and after I had soldered the end pieces on I drilled them out with a .039" drill bit so the Scale Hardware bolt would fit thru:

DP-Army-Vega2826-1_zpsfa69c117.jpg

Brad...thank you!! Hoping to be able to finish that rear bracing tonight. I just need to make 2 more of the mounting pads and trim the main pivot rod to fit.

John... thanks buddy!!! I am trying to get as much done on this so I have some good progress to show everyone at the Desert Scale Classic

Aaron... thanks man!! I sure hope you are gonna bring your Radici Wise vega to the show. Really woukd love to see it in person.

Dave... thank you for the kind words and wouldn't that be cool to do these in 1:1.

Joe... thank you bud! It has been fun working with brass and I felt would be a little stronger than plastic.

Bill... thank you man. I can't wait to have more done myself. This weekend is going to be a weekend that I am going to soebd mist ifcmy time on this build.

Mike.... thank you bud. I am gonna try and give you a call when I get home from work tonight.

Well guys I am excited to say that I have been thinking how I was going to do the front body supports and I have a plan that I think will work. I just need to finish the rear body supports so I can start on the front. But a plan is in place.

Hey Chris. This build is incredible. The attention to detail is outstanding and your skills are mind blowing.

I do have a question for you.
Back when you started painting some engine parts, you made reference to "Alcad Aluminum" Is that the Alcad plating process that got posted in the tips and tricks section with the Jay Leno video or is it just an airbrush application?
I have for a long time been frustrated with the way chrome parts look out of the box but have yet come up with a better alternative or better yet, one that fits in my budget. Any input from you or other builders following this build would be appreciated.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished build and i'm sure you feel the same way..

Hello Steve... Thanks for the Kind comments on this build. The Alclad I was talking about is a paint that you spray thru an airbrush. At my local hobby shop that I get them from they run around 7 to 8 bucks a bottle and the bottles are 1 oz each. Here is a link to the Alclad paint site.... http://alclad2.com/ . they are fairly easy to spray and it doesn't take much to paint your parts with it. If you want to see some Gorgeous Alclad work.... you need to take a look at John Teresi's builds, He is a master at spraying alclad and his work is beautiful. His has a build here in the drag racing section. Check out the 1/6 scale 1970 snake and mongoose "hot wheels' Dragsters thread he is doing.

Ok Fellas.... I have some great news. I can officially say that I have completed the rear body bracing and supports.... Finally!! now time to move on to the front body bracing and other parts of this build. It feels great to have jumped that hurdle. I still have to sand and file down the joints and then I can primer and get some paint on it. Anyway here are a few pics for you....

Here is a shot of the Body Mount Pad that I needed to add to the inside of the body as well as getting the ends of the rod done:

DP-Army-Vega2845-1_zpsec9ef15b.jpg

Same Pic from a different Angle:

DP-Army-Vega2851-1_zps7e37360e.jpg

Here it is installed:

DP-Army-Vega2839-1_zpsa4ea1d0a.jpg

Another shot outside:

DP-Army-Vega2849-1_zps34041710.jpg

Dave....thank you. I do feel good about getting this part of the fabrication done. Now I get to have fun doing this for the front end lol. Niko.... Thanks man.... I tried making the body mount pads as accurate as I could from a few reference pics I had found plus I found parts at the chassis shop website.

Bill....thank you very much sir. I appreciate it. I am extremely happy with it now that I have all of the joints sanded/filed down. I got started on the front body mound structure last night. Got all all of the body mount pads completed and today I am hoping to get the front structure done today.

Chris, I just looked at the excellent job on the rear body structure, what a nice job. Can't wait to see the front structure. I always wanted to see this was done. Now I know. I have seen through out this build you have soldered some parts. How do you solder these parts?

Edited by F/C NUT