Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Chris, I went to Hobby Depot yesterday to find some of the tubing to make those throttle cables and they do not have those sizes and they do not seem to be getting any more. So I went on Ebay and I found a Hobby Shop in England that carries all Albion Alloys Tubing that you are using. Just enter ALBION ALLOYS and you will get the web sight. They are a little more expensive but they are available. I hope this helps.

Dave... Thanks bud. I have got the start of the rest of the plug boots done. I just need to do a little filing now and possibly a tad of bondo then its primer. I have been taking pics of the steps I am taking to make these and will show you when done.

Steve... ahh man what a bummer they didn't have any in at Hobby Depot... sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase there. sometimes it seems that they don't always get stuff back in. I have been there a few times for some 3/32" brass tubing and looks like I need to head to Hobby Lobby for it. That is cool you were able to find it on Ebay. Maybe a little easier to have sent directly to your house than to drive around for it...lol

Brad.... That's a good idea about having some guys that want to go in on it to save on shipping.

Ok guys.... just want to show you some progress of the spark plug boots and the process that I used to make them......

Here is all of the materials I started with. 3/64" OD brass tube, 1/32" OD brass tube, 00-90 brass washers:

DP-Army-Vega2657-1_zps125b8ebd.jpg

Then in my make shift Header jig I drilled a hole to hold the 3/64" brass tube and set a 00-90 washer on the balsa wood so the washer and brass tube was flush:

DP-Army-Vega2659-1_zps4bcd0df4.jpg

next I then took the 1/32" brass tube and set on top:

DP-Army-Vega2661-1_zps68632f1e.jpg

After that I took my soldering iron and set it on top of the 1/32" brass tube heating it all up and then hitting it with solder:

DP-Army-Vega2665-1_zps302184e9.jpg

After repeating that 8 or more times ;) Here are all of the finish soldered parts. It seemed it took me a couple hours to get it the way I wanted:

DP-Army-Vega2668-1_zpsee5b93e8.jpg

I took one set here (the one to the left) and filed the solder down with a round file and then took sand paper to shape them as well as drilling the 1/32" brass tube ID with a .024" drill bit that will fit the Pro Tech 1/16th scale Spark Plug Wire:

DP-Army-Vega2675-1_zps49d6150f.jpg

Here is a pic after I put a quick coat of primer on the spark plug boots. The next step is to finish the other four the same way I did here and then I will add bondo to the spark plug boots for final shaping and they will be ready for another coat of primer, then Paint :D:

DP-Army-Vega2681-1_zps92843358.jpg

Love you like a brother, Chris, ... but ... why wouldn't you make one good one and cast the set in resin?

Seems like it would have saved you a lot of soldering, filing, bondo-bondo time, sanding, and priming.

Plus you would have a mold for any other Hemi you build in the future.

Or is it just me?

;)

Danno....you have a very good point. I should have made a mold and casted them. I didn't think about it at the time. Plus I have never really done any casting or molding before I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to try. I need to pick up some material to do so.

Brad... thanks bud. I had to be creative to get what I was looking for. Lol

Niko...thanks. yeah these parts are small. I will have to take a pic of them in my hand lol. Man i sure wish this was a 1:1 hahah.

John... thanks buddy. That woukd be cool if you could make it but totally understand if yoy csnt cause I know GSL is around the same time frame. I would sure love to take some builds to GSL.. .especially this one.

Scotts... thanks bud!! You are right i have put this much detail into so far that i need to continue lol. I guess i have set a bar for myself to prove to myself that i could reach the goal i set for this build.

the details are looking great, chris! don't feel bad about not casting stuff chris. i don't either. for me, it would be one more area i'd have to create to work in and deal with getting materials and the mess it makes.........and do you really plan to build another one of these? plug boots on a hemi are definately a peroid correct thing. if you build a newer car those are no good.

keep up the fantastic job you are doing!!!!!!

Jeff.... thanks bud!! I sure am trying to be a mad man ;)

Charlie.... Thanks!! I got close to burning myself a couple of times, all fingers are ok at this time :lol:

Dave... thank you

Dave... Thanks Bud!! you are right about not having the materials by the time I would have to go to the store to pick some of it up and learn how to start casting it was easy enough to do them this way. And now that I have figured out to get these types of boots they are actually easy to make. :D plus you are right depending on the era of the drag car decides what type of boots they are.

Steve... thats cool you were able to find some

Brad if I ever see that Hobby Depot has those sizes again. I can pick them up for ya. I am usually there a few times a month or when they call me when the new MCM magazine arrives lol

Bill.... thanks buddy. I am pleased with them so far ;)

So tonight I felt like I sanded and filed for an hour our two...and then had to so a little re-soldering on one I messed up. Anyway I got the rest of the spark plug boots done and tomorrow night I will add some bondo to them and sand, then finial primer. Then they are ready for paint. for such small Items that they are they sure took a lot more time that I thought but then again doesn't help when I am trying to make them perfect :lol: . they all have their own character...haha... anyway here is a pic of them....

Spark Plug Boots ready for final details:

DP-Army-Vega2685-1_zpsa2d8a775.jpg

Brad... thanks man. Once I get the bondo on these parts tonight as well as a few other parts, I will shoot some more primer on them and then I can start prepping and sanding the chassis and getting it for paint. I am hoping to shoot some black on some parts this weekend. Would love to possibly get the chassis painted as well but i know I will wamt to reprime it after I do my final preppings or I could just shoot the base on it and see how it turns out.