Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Hey Everyone!! I want to thank everyone one of you for your kind words and support on this. i got a little more work done last night. to the floor pan and seat. i added a little more primer to the seat last night. now I just need to sand one more area and the seat will be ready for paint. Then i moved back to the floor pan tin work. I finished the fabrication on it and got some primer on it as well. i just need to add a little bondo to it, sand and then ready for another coat of primer, then paint. I will post a few pics tonight when I get home from work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys I apologize that I didn't get pics posted sooner. I just got back into town from visiting family for Christmas and wanted to share a few pics. I will be working on this build over the weekend. Here are a couple of pics of the floor tins in primer. Since these pics I have added a little bit of bondo to them which needs to be sanded and another coat of primer. Then it will be ready for paint.

2v2uJym2hxAhe9C.jpg

2v2uJym3CxAhe9C.jpg

2v2uJymU6xAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Joe... thanks buddy!!

Ok so I can finally say that I am done with the floor tin work. Been messing with it for a bit this evening and got the bondo sanded down and primered it. I am still debating if I should sand down one more time for another coat a primer but when I sand it I will see how it is and if it looks good I will leave it and it will be ready for paint. Now I am debating which part of the build I should move back too...lol I want to go back to the engine but I am thinking I need to focus on a few things in the drivers area....etc.... getting the steering gear box mounted as well as making the steering shaft and butterfly wheel, I am going to redo the gas pedal once again. Anyway let me show you some more pics of the floor tin....

Here is some bondo I added on the inside of the tin:

2v2uJym9txAhe9C.jpg

Here is some bondo I added on the outside of the tin:

2v2uJymuYxAhe9C.jpg

Here are three views of it after I sanded the bondo down:

2v2uJymERxAhe9C.jpg

2v2uJymHsxAhe9C.jpg

2v2uJymaPxAhe9C.jpg

And with primer back on it:

2v2uJymekxAhe9C.jpg

2v2uJymQDxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Art.... Thanks buddy. I will be working my butt off on this one to finish it for the Desert Scale Classic. I can't wait to get it done.

Brad... Thanks Bud.... I am thinking I will have more than just the chassis and engine done for the DSC ;)

Bill... Thanks man. it feels great to be back on this and making progress

Ok Fellas I made a little more progress on this last night. I started on the steering gearbox mounting bracket and luckily enough I made it one shot and didn't have to redo it :lol: . Now there is some clean up with the gearbox that will be done along with ditching the plastic steering shaft and kit butterfly wheel. I will be using aluminum tubing for the steering shaft and making my own butterfly steering wheel. Here are pics of my progress.....

I first started with a pic off the internet which I reduced on my printer and glued it to a piece of plastic to use as a template:

2v2uJymbtxAhe9C.jpg

Here it is after I got the basic shape cut out:

2v2uJym17xAhe9C.jpg

Next I cut a lightening hole in the bracket:

2v2uJympRxAhe9C.jpg

Here it is once I glued it in place:

2v2uJym7RxAhe9C.jpg

Top View:

2v2uJymBDxAhe9C.jpg

View from the other side:

2v2uJymY7xAhe9C.jpg

Another view:

2v2uJymsPxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Henry... thanks man. hey I finally found those parys when i cleaned up my hobby room this week.

Darryl...thanks bud. That would be so cool to hear one if these lityle engines fire up..

Niko... thanks for the kind words bud.

Jeff...thanks bud. I can't wait to have this thing finished myself. i have been on it way too long lol.

Bill... thank you. There are many wonderful builders on here including yourself who have set the bar high. I am trying to keep upwith you guys. i keep dreaming of getting a lathe.

Joe...thanks man. that is a good idea on the gearbox. I still have a few items that i need to draw up for the fire suppression system that I was going to have Jim machine for me which will mount to the steering shaft. I will see if i can draw and model up a decent steering gearbox in solidworks.

well guys last night i started working on an updated gas pedal since i wasnt happy with the on i had done. This time i made it out of brass and have a couple of styles. i will post them later tonight. they still need a little work done to them.