Model Cars Magazine Forum

rust

so ive seen a few people here and there who do the table salt method when weathering paint. a few nights ago i decided to give a go at it myself. personally i like this method and think it works great.

i tried a few different things til i perfected my rusty base coat

i used three different colors for my rusty base coat.

i used rustoleum flat brown for the base coat

Rust-Oleum-214085-rw-161321-226091.jpg

the i misted krylon pumpkin orange and krylon ruddy brown primer on top of that and sealed it with a flat clear coat

31eHbJY3-YL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

01405-8506-3ww-l.jpg

49 ford club

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

68 plymouth barracuda

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

they both look better in person. i thought i did well. it was my first time trying it out befroe i do it on a real build

comment, suggestions, criticism?

its always welcome :)

Brandon

Looks pretty good. Might I suggest-use REAL rust washes. This is done by scrapeing some rust off of metal objects onto a piece of paper then put in film canisters,try and get different stages of rust. Then take a wet brush and dip into rust canisters and dab on where you want the rust and then take your brush and get wet and dab back on same spot. Just brush the rust around the spot where you want the effect and let dry.When dry you get real rust effect-takes some practice. If you want to see some of my rust projects,you can see them at Hubgarage.com and in the upper righthand corner of the page is a search-just type in RaysRadicalMind and it should take you to my garage-then just click on vehicles and enjoy. I can't post my pics here because I dont have an account with the photo places. If your serious about learning rust effects get in touch and I'll try and help.

thanks for the comments guys

ray, i have thought about that but was never really sure how yo do it. i have used the sophisticated finishes rust which is alright but id like to try new things. ill look into it though it sounds interesting. if you would like, send me some info on it in a message

Ok, where can I find out about the "salt" method?

i do believe i seen a video on dr crankys youtube channel

Also I have had good results adding a little matte clear onto the exposed areas, sprinkle on a little baking soda (texture) and then adding a rust colored wash (acrylic). The baking soda just draws in the pigment and looks very good IMO.

trailer004.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Also I have had good results adding a little matte clear onto the exposed areas, sprinkle on a little baking soda (texture) and then adding a rust colored wash (acrylic). The baking soda just draws in the pigment and looks very good IMO.

trailer004.jpg

Wow,

That is one of the most impressive samples of rust I've seed. Looks fantastically bad!!!

Mike

Wow,That is one of the most impressive samples of rust I've seen. Looks fantastically bad!!!

Mike

Thanks very much. Everything I did on that trailer I've learned from the people on this forum. Since taking that picture, I've added a light rust wash to the area between the rust and the painted area so there isn't such a defined line between the two effects. Looks more natural. Fantastically bad.......I like that. :(

Edited by Jantrix

Wow, if I didnt know this was a model car forum, I would have thought it was real.... I would love to learn how to do stuff like this.. as all the projects I build tend to be "showroom" cars.... I think building a junker or a weathered car would be a fun project to do!

I think building a junker or a weathered car would be a fun project to do!

Steve - You might find weathering very enjoyable, as I have; after building nothing but shiny showroom-ish models for decades, I've become a huge fan of making them look awful.

Rob - "Fantastically bad." LOL :) That might be the new compliment to pay someone on their weathered models

Wow, if I didnt know this was a model car forum, I would have thought it was real.... I would love to learn how to do stuff like this.. as all the projects I build tend to be "showroom" cars.... I think building a junker or a weathered car would be a fun project to do!

The best part of weathering is you get to DO all the things you learned NOT to do when finishing a car! :)