Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is it still a flathead?

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? And what does the Chevy 348 and 409 have to do with this? They both are not Flat heads. If your buddy had a flat top hair cut all his life and you called him flat top and then suddenly grew a full head of hair would you still call him flat top? :lol::lol:;)

Dan

Chevy 348/ 409 : in reference to "Truck engines" "the heads were not originally designed as speed parts. they were designed for more torque for use in garbage trucks." Just a little bit of history. Look at this as a learning experience.:D

I think the evidence for what is intended by the organizers of the model show lies in the title of the theme they've chosen, "flatheads & inlines", referring, of course, to the period of popular hot rod engines which preceded the dominance of the mass produced OHV V-8 (i.e. the emergence of Cadillac, then Olds, Buick, small-block Chevy, the various Chrysler Corp. Hemis, etc.). The Chevy 6 cylinder inliner that's contemporary with the Ford flathead (which is what they are no doubt referring to in their title) was an OHV design, one reason for its brief popularity in that postwar period. So I guess that puts me in the camp that the Ardun, as rare and expensive as it was, is still a legitimate period hop-up part from the "flatheads & inliners" era...

Some here really know what their talking about yes sir-ee (not so much the GM types) as we know Ford has won hundreds more races

than any GM powered car just in F-! and Indy alone never mind all the other forms/ type and classes of racing world wide .

but i regress here is a source for speed equipment info.â–º http://www.smithcollection.com/Collections/Engines/EngineFlatheadThumbs.shtml

Some here really know what their talking about yes sir-ee (not so much the GM types) as we know Ford has won hundreds more races

than any GM powered car just in F-! and Indy alone never mind all the other forms/ type and classes of racing world wide .

but i regress here is a source for speed equipment info.â–º http://www.smithcollection.com/Collections/Engines/EngineFlatheadThumbs.shtml

Hmmm- didn't see anything relevent in this post (except maybe a couple of pics of an Ardun flattie from the link)- certainly nothing on an Ardun 4 cylinder

you are right, i have no idea what i'm talking about :lol: i guess that article in the Rodders Journal was an April Fools joke.

Nevermind, I found out wat they really are. They are not real Arduns, but a later version made by Norm Frick. I only spoke for real Arduns manufactured by Ardun Mechanical from '47-'49 for the 24 stud Flathead.

Norm Vebers Replicas and Miniatures sells a BEAUTIFUL Ardun Head Conversion,along with an equally beautiful SCoT Blower setup. The detail is fantastic!!!;):D;)

I have some of Norms Flathead stuff (well, a complete engine actually) and can attest to the quality of his products.

IIRC, Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland has an Ardun conversion in resin.

Norm Vebers Replicas and Miniatures sells a BEAUTIFUL Ardun Head Conversion,along with an equally beautiful SCoT Blower setup. The detail is fantastic!!!:D;) ;)

Thanks guys, I thought Norm did them. I looked over his stuff that was out at the NNL East show, but didn't see any. I should have asked :D

Sorry for the hijack Rob, I say build it the way you want, it's still considered a flathead! ;)