Model Cars Magazine Forum

Strange business practices?

Even more surprising is the number of things made in China that are almost impossible to buy in China!  I am an American living in Nanning.  There are NO hobby shops at all here.  If I want a model kit made in China I can order it from South Korea (International shipping is free) or buy it in the USA and have it shipped here.

I recently had three visitors from Shanghai for a week at our company in New Jersey.  What did they want to do in their leisure time?  Shop!  They admitted that they'd be buying things Made In China, but either not available there or only available at enormous prices!

This is the way everything works today and the main reason is: MONEY

Not to make things cheaper for the consumer but to make more money for the fat cats that sit in offices with swetty palms all day.

I can give you an example that has nothing to do with models at all. It is fish that is fished in seas outside Norway, it comes to land as complete but frozen fish. Packed in big boxes with ice. The boxes are loaded on to trucks, driven to the airport and loaded on to planes, the planes fly accros the world to...somewhere...(maybe it is China, I'm not sure) and then it is proccesed. The product is then again loaded on to planes and they fly all the way back here to Norway. It is then loaded from the planes on to trucks again and driven to a plant that take the product and packages it. And again it is loaded on to trucks and then spread all over the country and the rest of the world.

Why does the fish need to go around the world when it is dead before it lands on our dinnertable?

Even more surprising is the number of things made in China that are almost impossible to buy in China!  I am an American living in Nanning.  There are NO hobby shops at all here.  If I want a model kit made in China I can order it from South Korea (International shipping is free) or buy it in the USA and have it shipped here.  Paint is another thing as it is hard to ship due to its flammability.  What is an enormous hobby in the rest of the world is a pain here in China.  Dragon and Trumpeter models are more easily bought through South Korea, even though they are made in China. .

Internet shopping is so prevalent in China that many shops have turned online only.

Have you tried TaoBao (www.taobao.com)?  There are quite a lot of stores that are selling model kits and paints.

I have personally bought from T7 Hobby and I am very happy with their services.  Just pick shops that have been in business for a fair bit of time.

Edited by fumi