Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can't we all just get along????

Hello there friend! At one time we did!!!!!

Ive been here since 07' and the greetings that I received is what kept me here at MCM!! What I mean is alot of the experienced and "ole timers were on the board alot and giving their thoughts and sharing their experiences.. All of which was model related! Now I go to the same members profile to check up on them ( sorta speak) and they havent been around in months! Ive recently been keepin in touch with them thru PM's and they all say the same!! Tito my good friend Its certainly not what it used to be!!! Anyhoot!! I love this board and come to know alot of the members jus from posts and Pm's. I hope this doesnt turn out the flame that MCM contributes to 'OUR HOBBY and PASSION!! With that being said you all keep on wit the keepin on!! And Ive heard the ignore button is a heck of a tool!! heheheheheheheh!!!

Can't argue with what you said, but let's be smart and let it go. Those locked posts are drifting downward on the page and will soon be gone. Let's move forward.

That's just it, Harry. Every time these (as they have been called) "pissing contests" are allowed to slide... the proverbial poop just keeps flying. Maybe a little more speed on the trigger could stop the nonsense sooner? You must admit... you try... and want to let it go, but sooner or later, it's the same thing. Posts get locked. Godzilla doesn't think about crushing someone for two+ pages before stomping 'em! We need more godzilla.

godzilla1954photo1-vi.jpg

Edited by Jon Cole

That's just it, Harry. Every time these (as they have been called) "pissing contests" are allowed to slide... the proverbial poop just keeps flying. Maybe a little more speed on the trigger could stop the nonsense sooner? You must admit... you try... and want to let it go, but sooner or later, it's the same thing. Posts get locked. Godzilla doesn't think about crushing someone for two+ pages before stomping 'em! We need more godzilla.

godzilla1954photo1-vi.jpg

wow!....calling out a moderator and telling him he isnt doing his job....definitely takes balls but not alot of brains....i dont see YOU volunteering to be a mod

wow!....calling out a moderator and telling him he isnt doing his job....definitely takes balls but not alot of brains....i dont see YOU volunteering to be a mod

WHOA !

Keith..Jon is not calling out Harry.....just giving a bit of "tough love".....I thought it was low key.....

We both have seen this nonsense too many times...I have been involved a few times....no more...Harry does a great job, with few if any thanks, and if memory serves me the last mod (nameless.. started this flame war) did volunteer....

I know I'm young and may not know much but it seems to me that this forum is goin to hell over things that in all reality just don't matter. I know, gas is high, the dollar is pretty much worthless and just about all politicians these days suck. These things won't be changing anytime soon. So I say we just let the past be past and keep on modeling! Together we can make the world a better place, one model at a time!!

If I'm guilty of anything, it's that I'm too laid back as a mod. I hate to lock threads and be (scary music intro here) "THE MODERATOR"... it really goes against what I believe a forum should be (free exchange of ideas and opinions between members).

So yeah, maybe I let those threads go on a bit too long. But you know what? I'd rather be called out for letting threads go on too long before I lock them than to be locking threads too soon and clamping down too much on your "freedom of expression."

What it all boils down to is that I need the members here to sort of do their own policing... and not just let it fly and expect me to always be there to clean up the mess. For the most part, the people here are good about that. Sometimes it gets out of hand. That's to be expected. But overall, like I said in a previous post, I think the members here do OK for the most part.

So, Harry...does your face look like the tail of a '59 Chevy?

Please Skip, some things are just better left to the imagination, and my imagination tells me Harry looks something like this! ;)

MPW-54797.jpg

Can't we all just get along????

That's what we would like to know too! :lol:

KidsPicture-1.gif

Now, on the serious side, I enjoy being a member here, and I commend Gregg and Harry for the job they do not only to not let things get too far out of hand, but also for the fact they do let members post their feelings and get it "out of their systems" so to speak. Yes, sometimes those feelings lead to a topic getting locked, but at least we DO get to air those feelings. I could guarantee the locked threads in question and this thread also would not have gotten this far on the "other" forum we all know is out there. That is one of the reasons I don't visit that one very much anymore and I'm on this one countless times a day, I'm a "casual" type of person and not one for "stuffed shirt" types, and that's the way I see the two forums, this is my "casual" meeting place just as if I'm "talking" to you at a show or model club meeting and the other is the "stuffed shirt" meeting place where all that is discussed is the "business" of model building. I even sometimes enjoy the difference of opinions and watching some of the threads that spiral out of control to lockdom (if that's even a word :lol: ) because it adds some laughter to my otherwise boring life, and if that offends the few "stuffed shirts" here, I'm sorry.

Also, just as Skip, Ed, and Don did, here is a picture of me with my fiancee so you can know who you are "talking" too. By the way, to show how casual I really am in life, this was taken at her cousin's wedding. This is as "dressed up" as I get, and yes, I AM wearing blue jeans! :o

PA041159_234.jpg

Say what, Keith? How on earth did you come up with that? I just support the concept of stronger, quicker means to the end. Harry has one tough job here. And like any moderator, he is trying to be as lenient as can be... which, btw, is far, far more than we get on the competing message boards! All I say is... "Look at the end result in past situations. Always a lock. So I suggest a faster transition between beginning to end.

As for helping moderate, well, after this last round, I would certainly consider it (be careful what you wish for?) I would prefer not, considering how a previous moderator was so poorly treated, and quit. Tho I do admit, I do not know the whole story on that one (PLEASE do not tell that tale here... any comments can be made via PM). Different moderators, each with a diff style, but the same goals. These opinions do not diss Harry, if anything, they are meant to agree with, and work together toward the same goals... which are, to take away the sandbox, but allow differing opinions to flourish. But with that freedom will come responsibility. One week bans can be very effective imho. Look at what has gone on here... not just in the past few days, but in the past few years. The poo keeps flowing over the wall... time for a bigger wall. Tough love time.

Please Skip, some things are just better left to the imagination, and my imagination tells me Harry looks something like this! ;)

MPW-54797.jpg

Actually, I'm a bit more handsome... In fact, people keep stopping me on the street and saying "Excuse me, Mr. Clooney, but could I have your autograph?" :lol:

If I'm guilty of anything, it's that I'm too laid back as a mod. I hate to lock threads and be (scary music intro here) "THE MODERATOR"... it really goes against what I believe a forum should be (free exchange of ideas and opinions between members).

So yeah, maybe I let those threads go on a bit too long. But you know what? I'd rather be called out for letting threads go on too long before I lock them than to be locking threads too soon and clamping down too much on your "freedom of expression."

What it all boils down to is that I need the members here to sort of do their own policing... and not just let it fly and expect me to always be there to clean up the mess. For the most part, the people here are good about that. Sometimes it gets out of hand. That's to be expected. But overall, like I said in a previous post, I think the members here do OK for the most part.

Harry, I think any person that was on the SA forum and came here came for the statement you made above. Over there the mod had a hair trigger on anything. I appreciate your style and I think Gregg has a lot to be thankful for by having your help here.

We just need to move past the nonsense and keep this about building models, plain and simple. ;)

Actually, I'm a bit more handsome... In fact, people keep stopping me on the street and saying "Excuse me, Mr. Clooney, but could I have your autograph?" ;)

And you carry a bigger gun too, right!?!? :lol::lol::o

I never could understand why anyone would 'lock out' viewing another persons posts. Kinda says more about the "banner" than the one being banned. But if that is what is desired... OK. That is why I called it "Tough love" Because it is TOUGH. And like it or not, punishment gets results.

The problem with "civility" as it's being bandied about here and on the National scene is that it's just another word for censorship. "I don't like what you said in that thread, so you can't say it or anything else for week!!" Well in that case I don't like this thread's tone and I don't think you should be allowed to say it either. So nany-nany-boo-poo on you! Now where did that get any of us?

This entire thread is nothing more than a cheap attempt to get Mark in here to have a flame war with all the usual suspects that have piled in here calling him out. Skip did suggest at least some of us who shared our opinions on the locked threads were doing so while drunk. Which frankly is just as immature and useless (if not more so) than the posting of an instructional video on peeling an orange.

Bottom line it's Harry's duty here to determine what is or isn't civil. You can say the posts involving the other videos were immature, inane, or whatever. But to condemn everyone who shares a different opinion than you by saying they can't decide what is or isn't boring, is sliding yourself into a giant vat of hypocrisy. Because in doing that you are in effect deeming YOURSELF to be the one that decides whether or not someone else can say something about a particular subject, the very fact you decry some people here of doing in the first place.

Edited by niteowl7710

Hey... whatever. Don't change a thing. I won't say a word. I really thought I was offering help. I was wrong. Instead, lets give them what they want.

You may now continue the food fight. B)

The problem with "civility" as it's being bandied about here and on the National scene is that it's just another word for censorship. "I don't like what you said in that thread, so you can't say it or anything else for week!!" Well in that case I don't like this thread's tone and I don't think you should be allowed to say it either. So nany-nany-boo-poo on you! Now where did that get any of us?

This entire thread is nothing more than a cheap attempt to get Mark in here to have a flame war with all the usual suspects that have piled in here calling him out. Skip did suggest at least some of us who shared our opinions on the locked threads were doing so while drunk. Which frankly is just as immature and useless (if not more so) than the posting of an instructional video on peeling an orange.

Bottom line it's Harry's duty here to determine what is or isn't civil. You can say the posts involving the other videos were immature, inane, or whatever. But to condemn everyone who shares a different opinion than you by saying they can't decide what is or isn't boring, is sliding yourself into a giant vat of hypocrisy. Because in doing that you are in effect deeming YOURSELF to be the one that decides whether or not someone else can say something about a particular subject, the very fact you decry some people here of doing in the first place.

Man, that is as convoluted a screed as I've ever seen. So..you're saying everyone is entitled to their opinion even though they speak harshly to other people, diss them and generally behave in a nasty way? There's a difference between censorship and self-control. And I have never advocated censorship at all. So why do you bring that up? And no, it's not Harry's DUTY to determine what is civil and what isn't. It's what everyone who posts here should consider before they hit "Add Reply."

I'm not sermonizing, I'm merely asking for people to be more considerate of their neighbors and stop these nasty, incendiary posts.

Edited by sjordan2

Kind of like this thread, both boring and useless, and contributes nothing to model building on a (gasp) MODEL BUILDING FORUM.

And what did your prior nasty post (that got deleted) add to the conversation? Or this post? If you are disinterested, why do you bother with a reply?

But I'll agree with you on this: What do nasty, useless commentaries contribute to model building on a (gasp) MODEL BUILDING FORUM.

Edited by sjordan2