Model Cars Magazine Forum

Highly Detailed GENERAL LEE.... finally done...!1yr and 6 days

mopar01lee

Funny I never read/interpret that anywhere he was building an exact replica. But then there were so many on the show that varied so much it would be impossible to build any specific one exactly anyway!:lol:

thank you ... i never said a replica or an accurate General Lee !!!! At least someone understood. But i did pick a touchy subject ,but no one will ever be right . in my own opinion a true accurate General lee would have to be from LEE1 since it was labled the first one. It was a peice of insperation for this build.

And im shure there will be more chewing and spitting as i get further in to this build.. :lol::lol::D

Later Days ..Davin

Edited by mopar01lee

thank you ... i never said a replica or an accurate General Lee !!!! At least someone understood. But i did pick a touchy subject ,but no one will ever be right . in my own opinion a true accurate General lee would in fact have to be from LEE1 since it was the first one. It was a peice of insperation for this build.

And im shure there will be more chewing and spitting as i get further in to this build.. :lol::lol::lol:

Later Days ..Davin

Sorry bro, but Lee1 was not the first General Lee to be built, Lee3 was. Lee1 was labeled Lee1 because he was the first car to be used for filming down in GA. Lee3 the car with no numbers on was the first car and also the one that was used for all photo shoot photos promos. If he had servied the show he would have been in fact the holy grail of the General Lee's.

No since in posting pics . i just got the door jamms started.. ill post pics when there done, As well as building pics of them.

But i did get more PE in the mail today.. I'll post the pics tomarrow, Its been a long day. :lol::lol:

make sure you weld them in place properly

the jams i mean, wouldnt want that door to swing inward :lol:

Sorry bro, but Lee1 was not the first General Lee to be built, Lee3 was. Lee1 was labeled Lee1 because he was the first car to be used for filming down in GA. Lee3 the car with no numbers on was the first car and also the one that was used for all photo shoot photos promos. If he had servied the show he would have been in fact the holy grail of the General Lee's.

My mistake ... an it did survive, with a lot of money to restore it . They found it in a boneyard in GA, as it was in repo men.but im shure you know that bro...

hey do them hinges look familiar.... hahahaha.

Made a few changes to that post .. thanks bro

Edited by mopar01lee

No since in posting pics . i just got the door jamms started.. ill post pics when there done, As well as building pics of them.

But i did get more PE in the mail today.. I'll post the pics tomarrow, Its been a long day. :lol::lol:

watch out for the scrolls and letters for the body bro. I did the PE set for the 59 caddy and everything was cool until the letters on the front fenders infront of the doors. They took about a hour each side and the thought of throwing the build against the wall went through my mind 28 times.

Edited by evilone

My mistake ... an it did survive, with a lot of money to restore it . They found it in a boneyard in GA, as it was in repo men.but im shure you know that bro...

hey do them hinges look familiar.... hahahaha.

Just for the record, your talking about Lee1 they found NOT Lee3 bud. Lee3 would have been the holy grail. Also for record Lee1 was shop up and parted out.. drop by the www.cglfc.com and find out what happen to him for real. It's a sad loss also even though he was Lee1 the first car they used for filming down in GA. But you and the others can believe what ever you want to about Lee1, but me and the guys and gals over on the club knows what really happen to him afew years back though. Another site also knows what happen to him as well.

Yea, those hinges does look familiar hahaha. At least you are one of afew I know that askley intsalled the door ones correct. :lol:

Edited by m0parman

Just for the record, your talking about Lee1 they found NOT Lee3 bud. Lee3 would have been the holy grail. Also for record Lee1 was shop up and parted out.. drop by the www.cglfc.com and find out what happen to him for real. It's a sad loss also even though he was Lee1 the first car they used for filming down in GA.

Yea, those hinges does look familiar hahaha. At least you are one of afew I know that askley intsalled the door ones correct. :lol:

Again. my mistake . a lill missreading on my part . lol

And thanks . thats the only way i figured they went. :lol:

i also have them on a 71 duster im doing.

Edited by mopar01lee

watch out for the scrolls and letters for the body bro. I did the PE set for the 59 caddy and everything was cool until the letters on the front fenders infront of the doors. They took about a hour each side and the thought of throwing the build against the wall went through my mind 28 times.

Thanks for the tip . i will keep that in the front of my mind !!!!!

I hope anal isn't a bad word here, cause that's what the last few pages are here ... for those that don't know, this was a television show .. NOTHING on it was true.

Please let let Davin continue his build. B)

Edited by Foxer

Guest Johnny

I hope anal isn't a bad word here, cause that's what the last few pages are here ... for those that don't know, this was a television show .. NOTHING on it was true.

Please let let Davin continue his build. :)

:oB) Say it ain't so Foxer!!! :lol: Seems every General Lee thread gets serious!:lol:

I just noticed that it looks like it's got the K.I.T.T. chaser lights in the grille, too. Didn't see that before.

I'm still trying to figure out the "Golden Girls" tie-in with the front license plate "Blanche"!?!? :lol::blink::D:blink::lol:

Ok heres a update for you .. and to get off the topic of a van . (witch i mighte add i wouldnt mind building as a dodge) :D

heres the new PE i got in the mail.

IMAG0118.jpg

heres the opened doors an trunk after the glue dried.

IMAG0110.jpg

Now time for the jam of the week.... :lol::lol:

IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

Thats it for now the other side is in the middle of drying...

Later days ....Davin

Edited by mopar01lee

Stationery to answer your ??? The section of the pin loop thats attached to the body is in a (L) shape to prevent that from happening.

Thanks for the comments guys ...

Laterdays Davin .

Edited by mopar01lee

First I taped the door on an left a gap around the door aka (door gap ) . And then glued the hinges ln place making shure the tube on the door was pushed down on the pin as far as it would go before I glued it in place . As far as paint goes I may have to do some adjusting to the hinges to get it back in shape ...lol

Okay, I don't want to hi-jack Davin's nice build here, but I will answer the questions sense he got them from me. You all, when you put the hinge in place on the door, the plastic round stock and metal hinge is all place as a unit onto the door. Lined up to where you want the hinge located. It's like Davin said, tape the door shut first and get that in place 1st thing. The hinge at the bend area is bent sharply mostly and the round stock is mostly a hair taller then the metal pin itself. This making the round stock set in place on the hing and not shift back and forth (as in up or down). The metal pin can be trim down also if they are to long. Now to attach them, mostly like Davin said, glue the round stock to the door and the shell. Also take some superglue (CA) and put on the hinge area over the metal pin going into the round stock on the shell inner fender area. This way it will keep that side of the hing solid mostly from moving around (out forwards or inwards) when opening the door up or closing the door.

Now I see where Davin mention about readjustment of the door down the line, alittle advice bud, try maybe triming down the metal pin alittle on the door side, I know I had ran into this very issue as well myself and I make the hinges LOL. I found if I trim the hinge down alittle, and lighly tilt the metal pin outwards the door will slide on and off very easy.

If the hinge pin is stationary, what prevents the door from sliding down the pin when you open it? Is the bottom of the door supported by the sill? how will that affect or be affected by paint?

From what I can see on Davin's build, the retainer for the hinge is glued (Super Glued?) inside the fender, and the door swivels on the "collar" that swings on the outside "loop" of the hinge. Very clever as this is a simple way to do inward turning doors, which is correct for this era Charger. In fact, most cars built after '66--------the doors opened this way.

I do my hinges a bit differently (if not a bit more complex), but it all looks good to me Davin! :o