Model Cars Magazine Forum

Am I seeing things?? You've GOT to check this out!!

I got this link to check out this auction on the 'Bay..................the guy's gotta good sense of humor I got to say.

But the real screams are the absolutely HILARIOUS comments below the auction. It literally had me doubled over laughing!! :D

You'll want to click here to see it...........if you were having a bad day like I was, this might have you crying with laughter! :D You'll definitely want to click the link on the page to view all 20 remarks!

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Guest zebm1

Bill, I think this is related to an add someone ran on eBay that advertised Ken Hamilton's Diorama book as worth several hundred dollars.....kinda like a joke war. :roll: In BnB....bet khart knows all about it. :roll:

zeb

It's no joke, Zeb. The seller bought 6 bodies from Reliable Resin and they're all terrible. He put the auction up to advertise the fact that Reliable Resin is a ripoff. You can read more about it at the Straight Line Modeler e-mail group on Yahoo!. On that group, one guy says he tried to return a defective body and Don of RR accused him of defacing it so he could get his money back.

I have also been stung by unscrupulous resin casters. Just wanting to share your hobby with others is not enough. You have to make quality parts and have a little bit of business sense...even if that business sense is knowing that you don't really have a small business. If it's a part-time deal, just sell on ebay when you have parts made up. Don't advertise and let people send you money then give them excuses. When you take their money, you agree to give them a good product in a timely manner. Bad resin sellers deserve to be outed.

I have one of their bodies here... a McLaren M8. I agree that the quality is a bit poor compared to what other companies are currently producing. Maybe 15 years ago we would have accepted this level of work with out question but today the technology is perfected so I see no reason to produce this shoddy a product unless it is purely unadulterated laziness.

I have one of their bodies here... a McLaren M8. I agree that the quality is a bit poor compared to what other companies are currently producing. Maybe 15 years ago we would have accepted this level of work with out question but today the technology is perfected so I see no reason to produce this shoddy a product unless it is purely unadulterated laziness.

I love this site.

It's no joke, Zeb. The seller bought 6 bodies from Reliable Resin and they're all terrible. He put the auction up to advertise the fact that Reliable Resin is a ripoff. You can read more about it at the Straight Line Modeler e-mail group on Yahoo!. On that group, one guy says he tried to return a defective body and Don of RR accused him of defacing it so he could get his money back.

I have also been stung by unscrupulous resin casters. Just wanting to share your hobby with others is not enough. You have to make quality parts and have a little bit of business sense...even if that business sense is knowing that you don't really have a small business. If it's a part-time deal, just sell on ebay when you have parts made up. Don't advertise and let people send you money then give them excuses. When you take their money, you agree to give them a good product in a timely manner. Bad resin sellers deserve to be outed.

Don't believe everything that is posted on Straight Line Modeler. Don is not an unscrupulous resin caster. In fact, the body that is posted on the Ebay auction was given to the person in question at the same time he purchased a good body in order to build a replica of Art Chrisman's flat top Cyclone flopper. Don does NOT sell resin like what is pictured in the auction.

Don has been casting resin for 5 years this weekend and his positive feedback on Ebay proves his worthiness. I just won a first place and third place trophy with Reliable Resin products.

Guest zebm1

And, as waz drumed into me in Paralegal school...never, never accept the first discourse that yu read. Always, always....check yur sources, do tha deep research that is required to support any "argument" with 2 or more supporting documents. Word of mouth is just that, words and with tha prevalence towards accepting rhetoric as truth...anyone remember why we are in Iraq? I still say it waz meant as a joke, however IMHO it is "bad form" and if it turns out to do harm to Reliable Resins "goodwill" I see a lawsuit on tha horizon.

Re: tha old saw...Opinions are like dark holes, ever body has at least one. :o

And a gentle bit of a suggestion, be very careful where and how yu express yur opinons, we Americans unfortunately live in a litiginous society. :) (Note: Harming a business' "Goodwill" capriciously is "grounds" for a legal lawsuit for punitive damages.)

zeb

And, as waz drumed into me in Paralegal school...never, never accept the first discourse that yu read. Always, always....check yur sources, do tha deep research that is required to support any "argument" with 2 or more supporting documents. Word of mouth is just that, words and with tha prevalence towards accepting rhetoric as truth...anyone remember why we are in Iraq? I still say it waz meant as a joke, however IMHO it is "bad form" and if it turns out to do harm to Reliable Resins "goodwill" I see a lawsuit on tha horizon.

Re: tha old saw...Opinions are like dark holes, ever body has at least one. :o

And a gentle bit of a suggestion, be very careful where and how yu express yur opinons, we Americans unfortunately live in a litiginous society. :) (Note: Harming a business' "Goodwill" capriciously is "grounds" for a legal lawsuit for punitive damages.)

zeb

It was not meant as a joke....this is serious and will no doubt result in serious consequences.

Guest zebm1

Not related to tha K. hamilton joke then Marc, then I agree with yu Marc,,,,very serious matter then. I saw where yur freind posted on his web sales site his appology and promises for tha future. Bad business indeed.

zeb

All my dealings with Don at Reliable Resins have been good. Even the "factory second" he sent me (at no cost I'll add) to help with a project we were working on was of decent quality. (hopefully now that work has slowed down and the weather is getting better I'll actually finish it.)

I'll be the first to admit Don is a little rough around the edges, and a smidgeon opinionated. but all of the product I've seen is at least as good as the Jimmy Flintstone bodies I've bought. Are his bodies modelhaus quality? nope but so few are. as far as return policy goes I've never had to send anything back so I wouldn't know.

I doubt there will be any legal action resulting from the "auction" simply because the amount of damages have to be high enough to make the lawyers paycheck worth while, which is highly unlikely. Lawyers aren't cheap but talk is. His best bet would be to try to smooth things out with this disgruntled customer rather than esculate the feud.

I have to defend Jimmy Flintstone here...

I have many JF pieces and all of them have flawlessly smooth finishes, no voids or bubbles in the surface. His work is simply beautiful as a resin caster! Jimmy provides not only clean and sharp resin but the complete kits include flawless vacuum formed windows, cast metal wheels and other nicely done detail parts.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you on the equity you bestow on Resilient Resins and Jimmy Flintstone!! JF products may not be as nicely done as Modelhaus castings, as you stated. But the prices are a little more reasonable in my opinion, and... they require a lot less prep and correction to build up correctly!

Resilient Resins may have simply allowed a bad copy to go out to the customer... but a response like the eBay posting suggests that some other discourse has gone on in the past between the two parties leaving the buyer still unsatisfied.

I have many JF pieces and all of them have flawlessly smooth finishes, no voids or bubbles in the surface. His work is simply beautiful as a resin caster! Jimmy provides not only clean and sharp resin but the complete kits include flawless vacuum formed windows, cast metal wheels and other nicely done detail parts.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you on the equity you bestow on Resilient Resins and Jimmy Flintstone!! JF products may not be as nicely done as Modelhaus castings, as you stated. But the prices are a little more reasonable in my opinion, and... they require a lot less prep and correction to build up correctly!

Resilient Resins may have simply allowed a bad copy to go out to the customer... but a response like the eBay posting suggests that some other discourse has gone on in the past between the two parties leaving the buyer still unsatisfied.

Jairus, you are referring to a different resin caster. Resilient Resins is not the subject at hand! And I agree; I've seen a Resilient Resin body, and was not impressed. It was definitely not up to JF standards.

I didn't mean my post to be a slam against jimmy flintstone, just the opposite. I meant it as compliment to Reliable Resins. I'm a huge fan of Jimmy's work, and feel he offers a great product for a great price. But even though Don's stuff is pricier, his stuff is still better than a lot of the resin out there for the same price.

I have to agree on the Flintstone products. I've got four of his bodies, and I couldn't be happier with the quality. For $10 you just can't complain about anything, and there's no reason to!

I have only purchased two items from Reliable, but I was very happy with both pieces. One body, and one hood, and they were both very well cast.

Then again, I had been doing a lot of business with another resin parts caster who had given nothing but great service for years. Then, one day....boom. It was like he gave up on the business and all his customers, many of which had been waiting for orders they paid for months ealier.

So you never can tell when a good thing will go bad.

I'm gonna chime in here. First off. I can state for a fact that Alan paid for the body in question. When he recieved the bodies in question, he brought them over for me to look at. Having seen the Comet in person, I can tell you the pics on ebay do NOT do it justice. It is MUCH worse in person. The irony is, I suggested the only thing you could do with it would be to convert it to Chrismans roadster, & posted that AS A JOKE on the Straightlinemodelers board, so thats how that little myth came into being. Honestly even if you cut the roof off, the body is too rough to use. By the way, Alan & I BOTH cast ourselves (not professionally) & have both mastered stuff. He was approached by Thuene via email about replacing the the body after he posted a pic of it on Straightlinemodeler. Thuene offered to replace the bodies in question. After a couple weeks, nothing had shown up, so Alan contacted Thuene. At this point , Thuene told Alan to go **** himself. That was when the decision to put the ad up was made. Alan still has the emails in question.

Its sort of a shame since there are guys out there producing top quality resin castings. Sort of reflects badly on the good guys. If the guy is trying to do business on ebay he should give a full refund. If not he should be reported to ebay. I'm sure after this his sales will drop. From the pictures he would probably do better selling them as 'junk yard' bodies.

Yes Henry, we are talking about Reliable Resins! I got the two mixed up because I have a Resilient Resin body here and was NOT impressed with the quality. Very rough! Sorry 'bout that guys!

(backing away slowly....)

Should we start calling you "Emily Litella"?...Nevermind. :)

Guest zebm1

That name rang a distant bell, but I couldn't place it..so I googled it.....funny Darin, very funny... :):lol::lol:

zeb

and BTW, I knew it waz reliable resins.

Guest zebm1

Hmmmmm, I wonder ifn e-Bay will be getting involved in this fracas now. That body looks like a styrene body I left in mineral spirits too long, it melted just like that body on e-bay did.

I still have it, maybe I should take a pic.

zeb

whats got me is the owner of reliable resin evidently did a "buy it now" on it for a thousand dollars!

thats pretty hard to believe. 1000$ basically for "hush money"?

and if thats a fraud, who is going to pay the ebay bill for it? doesnt that add up to something of some consequence for a 1000$ sale?

anyway i bought one RR body once, think it was a 1/32 king cobra but dont recall for sure (could have been a lotus 22 or 15?). it wasnt junk per se but lets just say its sitting in a pile of slot car bodies for which i have no use.

EDIT:

note i was confused and the "RR" i was referring to is NOT the "RR" in question. mea culpa

end EDIT