Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP - BMW Z3 - **WARNING. PIC OVERLOAD**

wolvyreen

Hello All,

Please see progress pics of my first build. The BMW Z3.

IMAG0063_2.jpg

IMAG0064_2.jpg

IMAG0067_2.jpg

IMAG0068_2.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

Quick Update. Some color on the body. I chose Tamiya's Gun Metal. There are 2 small spots with dust particles in them which I will wet sand out and respray the affected area.

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

Edited by wolvyreen

Man, remember the good old days when a persons first model was a glue bomb of mythic proportions? When you could see though only 20% of the glass, the Testors bottle paints brushed on so thick it looked 1/20 scale? Sat on three wheels? Heads on backwards? So full of fingerprints and glue marks? Enter this new guy with paint work that blows your hair back. Ah, nostalgia.

I'm guessing this is your first "scale auto" model and that you are a veteran of some other genre. You do very nice work sir, and I look forward to seeing more of it.

Edited by Jantrix

Man, remember the good old days when a persons first model was a glue bomb of mythic proportions? When you could see though only 20% of the glass, the Testors bottle paints brushed on so thick it looked 1/20 scale? Sat on three wheels? Heads on backwards? So full of fingerprints and glue marks? Enter this new guy with paint work that blows your hair back. Ah, nostalgia.

I'm guessing this is your first "scale auto" model and that you are a veteran of some other genre. You do very nice work sir, and I look forward to seeing more of it.

Thank you for such a nice comment :) It is a real motivation but to give you an answer, no...I am no veteran in anything else. Ok, maybe web development and design but that's not practical work.

But really people, this is my first model ;) I have had a lot of people ask me "how can this be your first model etc etc." but I don't know how to respond other than tell them that I have done a CR@P load of reading and research about how to make a good model.

The wealth of knowledge here and on many other websites is immense and I think that if new modellers just applied themselves, they would be able to produce an eye catching model as well. One thing I am learning a hard lesson through this build is NEVER RUSH!

Another update soon to come when I start putting it all together. :)

Edited by wolvyreen

Guest Sickfish

Mate I second Jantrix! Absolutely great work so far, for a first timer  You've done exactly what you should've, read, researched & prepared for this build.

And yes, you will learn, the Number 1 thing you need, to churn out good solid clean builds, is Patience!  It's a hobby.... There's absolutely no rush to build anything fast.... The only person you're building for is... Yourself  Pace yourself & don't allow building as many models as you can overtake your love for making a good model... Pace & patience 

Looking forward to the Z coming together 

Cheers, Cliffo 

Wow, I have never seen someone new to the hobby so well setup (and stocked with nice kits) before delving into their first model. Most people don't have the wherewithal to invest in a paint booth, let alone all the tools and paints before starting, let alone know how to use them properly. Can't wait to see how well this one (and your second build) will look!

That's a great little kit and easily builds up into a real sharp little car. I especially like the layers and detail that they put into the headlights.

If you want a companion for this car, its more potent brother you might say, get the Dragon kit for the BMW M Roadster. The M was a performance version of the Z3 with a variety of body mods and interior mods. Model Express is carrying that kit and while its a prepaint, a good soak in 91% alcohol will take care of the bad paint job, and you'll have a solid foundation for a second BMW.

I look forward to seeing this one done.

rob

That's a great little kit and easily builds up into a real sharp little car. I especially like the layers and detail that they put into the headlights.

If you want a companion for this car, its more potent brother you might say, get the Dragon kit for the BMW M Roadster. The M was a performance version of the Z3 with a variety of body mods and interior mods. Model Express is carrying that kit and while its a prepaint, a good soak in 91% alcohol will take care of the bad paint job, and you'll have a solid foundation for a second BMW.

I look forward to seeing this one done.

rob

Thanks Rob B) I will definitely look in to that .... I was actually looking for the M version and couldnt find it. I am happy there is a kit like this.

I have deleted some of the posts that I know will cause some problems.

Enough said.

Let's welcome our new friend from South Africa and his first build here on the MCM Forum.

ENOUGH SAID

e komo mai

Ok, I have not yet been able to do the wash on the underside of the chassis but I have been busy with floor mats and polishing the body.

I bought some contact velour paper for the mats and as you can see below, this was my attempt to make realistic floor mats ;) For a noob, I think I did ok.

IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

I managed to make a stencil of the Z3 logo as is shown on the original floor mats of the car.

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

BIG problem here that I desperately need help with. I was trying to fix a hair that got caught under the clear paint and sanded a little too much through the clear and ... well,...I'm not to sure how deep I sanded whether it went through to the primer. So I'm hoping someone can give me a suggestion on how to fix this.

IMAG0161.jpg

After some polish. No waxing has been done yet. Those spray nozzles will be painted black. The orangle peel that you see in this photo is actuall the silver heat shield that surrounds the bulb in the light.

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

Hey Wolvy,

Welcome, we are glad to have you here, your skills will be very enjoyable to watch. It is just so exciting to me to share this wonderful hobby with new (and now a little older) friends on the forums from all over the world, only forum I have ever participated in. Your work is just very, very nice, please keep things coming our way, we look forward to more. Your camera skills are very nice too, and it is good to have you here!!

Mike

Very nice work! I built this kit to replicate my brother's 1:1. His was silver with red seats and door panel inserts with the rest being black. I was best man at his wedding, and he and I drove to it with the top down on a beautiful September morning in our tuxedoes. I felt like James Bond for a day! B)

Thanks but I can cry right now ;)

big problems :D Sadly, the whole process of masking off and respraying, has gone and messed the whole body up. The trunk is now darker than the rest of the car and I fear that I am going to now have to strip down and redo.

IMAG0181.jpg

I wish my first builds were anything like this one, (But they weren't !) really looking to see this one finished, I wouln't hurry to strip to paint, just try flatting it out with some fine wet & dry paper, start with something like 2000 grit, then you will have to repaint to get the colour to match, but that's modelling, we all get set backs from time to time, don't let it put you off, as your doing stunning work on this BMW.

Yh well :D I have learned hard lessons through this build but I am not giving up on this hobby just yet! ;)

I have now officially screwed the body up royally! I'm honestly just sitting here sighing ;) and wanting to cry! hehe

I have decided to strip it down and start again cause this time after I applied the clear, a lot of the clear started to run cause I am a noob and a boob! :P

I am now going to try and obtain a new sheet of decals for this build!

Go easy on me. Its my first official build :P