Model Cars Magazine Forum

the horsemen are coming nearer

brett

Thanks Brett, I was wonderin' because a certin resin body (for now it's Top Secret ssshhh!),I plan to order in the near future. It's based off a real car (thats retired now), there were 3 different versions, mainly 3 different paint jobs on the same body, but when the 2nd paint scheme was put on the car, a set of rear tire "bubbles" were added, since I like the 2nd paint job better then the 1st or 3rd, I was planning on trying to add on the "bubbles" to make it look right, if I can't get it to come out right I'll just give it the 1st paint job (which happens to be my 2nd favorite of the 3).

Brett, nice start on the 55 pro mod and even going to the work of stretching it in the front and back. I think you are running into the same issue I have. The body still sets way to high to be a true Pro Mod, and reminds me more of the old 90's 2000 Pro Stock door slammer due to setting up right.

Here is what I am talking about from a ride height standpoint. Very different from the stock height. :rolleyes:

0410st_06_z1955_chevrolet_pro_modminiature_stature.jpg

And the truck bed is the standard length if not shorter shortbed, only thing done is lengthened the nose and sectioned the heck out of the Cab. They said roughly 13" was taken out of the cab.

0410st_04_z1955_chevrolet_pro_modfiberglass_body_components.jpg

Edited by eviltwincustoms

Thanks mate, Whilst I love the 5 second passes from doorslammers and the 4's from the funnies I'm really turned off by the current body styling issues that are conductive to those time slips. And while I will still build and watch both, I much prefer the early 90's stock-ish appearing doorslammers and 70's funnies. you know when cars looked like cars rather than the wedges they have become. That being said I started this truck in early 07 when my skills ( and the putty I'd used ) were well below what they are today so wedging the body hadn't even entered my mind as being possible at that time. As to the truck above,the proportions are way off in my opinion the bed looks too short too high , almost like an afterthought. And although I'd like it a little lower if it comes in at the height of the top mockup pics, I'll be pretty happy with it . But again thanks for the comments, opinions and constructive criticism, after all without them how are we to improve ?

Thanks mate, Whilst I love the 5 second passes from doorslammers and the 4's from the funnies I'm really turned off by the current body styling issues that are conductive to those time slips. And while I will still build and watch both, I much prefer the early 90's stock-ish appearing doorslammers and 70's funnies. you know when cars looked like cars rather than the wedges they have become. That being said I started this truck in early 07 when my skills ( and the putty I'd used ) were well below what they are today so wedging the body hadn't even entered my mind as being possible at that time. As to the truck above,the proportions are way off in my opinion the bed looks too short too high , almost like an afterthought. And although I'd like it a little lower if it comes in at the height of the top mockup pics, I'll be pretty happy with it . But again thanks for the comments, opinions and constructive criticism, after all without them how are we to improve ?

Hey no problem, I agree with you the whole wedging and shrinking of the nose of the cars now days does take some getting use to. But if they didn't do that, they wouldn't be hitting those 4 seconds or less in the 1/8 mile now would they. Better aerodynamics and more down force with keeping the car as low as possible due to the speeds. :) I agree that the bed is not proportioned and that is because the guy that built the truck didn't section the bed at all and just shortened it in the front and back if I recall. The cab being sectioned and chopped and extended is what throws everything off, and with a 55 Chevy being so boxy in the rear that doesn't make things any better.

DoubleD makes a very valid point, due to moving the bed up some reduces the need to cut into the rear fenders to make new Wheel Tubs up and over the bed rails. Which would really make the truck look odd.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys , Seems like this ones taking forever due to all of life's holdups , got a couple of hours in to day though. Made up some rear shocks and finished up the 4 link

sept011029.jpg

sept011031.jpg

added a few more bars to the cage, just need to make up the motor plate support bars and the fuel cell cage and it will be ready for primer ( I hope)

sept011034.jpg

sept011035.jpg

Thanks mate about another twenty doorslammers to go at this scale (all with brass chassis) learning easier and better ways with each one so hopefully by the end I should have that looks ok. got a little done today

sept011042.jpg

sept011043.jpg

sept011038.jpg

and a couple more gratuitous mockups

sept011041.jpg

sept011040.jpg

as you can see I cracked the back guard today :( so I might do a little more body work

Edited by brett

• 1 month later...

great work man! keep it up. i too had this same idea about the 4 horsemen racing team about 3 years ago, still working on the first one lol, great inspiration to get back in it! would i have your blessing to post up pics when pics are ready and not be called out buddy? lol

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

OH MY WORD!!!

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

That has got to be the most fantastic Brass work I have ever seen to date!!

Awesome work on that '55 truck chassis Brett !!

And the concept of the four horsemen is so different!!

Your design for the three cars so far is "eye-ball splitting!!' to say the least!!!!

WOW!!!

I am gonna be watching this one !

Thank You for sharing

Later

Russ

;)

Thanks guys, much appreciated .

Vince, I dont have a problem with that, but you should start your own thread just to showcase your work. But as I said really don't mind.

Russ, thanks very much but I think your praise may be a little high. There's some great brass chassis ( and other work ) in these forums that I couldn't hold a candle to. That said I try to improve everytime I build one so maybe I'll get there one day :rolleyes: .

That said and done I've pulled the injector hat off and am raising it up into cleaner air. Still working on ( or reworking) some decals , so progress may be a little slow for a couple of days.

That wall damage is good idea. It looks pretty good too, and I like those decals. Frame looks superb. Great job with this Chevy Pickup, never seen Doorslammer built from this year's Chevy.

Edited by W-409