Model Cars Magazine Forum

2011 24 Hours of LeMans Build

Zoom Zoom

Here is what I built during our annual "LeMans Palooza" that a group of ACME members participate in every year. Basically we build a LeMans racer during the race. We're pretty liberal with rules; the main objective is to have fun and finish the model by the end of the race. This year 5 of us were building together (there were others in attendance but didn't participate for the entire race). We have a blast doing this, it's great fun.

I chose the Hasegawa Mazda 767B "Finish Line" racer. It placed 7th in 1990, and I like the livery better than the 1991 787B that won (the orange/green "Renown" version). This is a really simple curbside kit. Before the race I prepped the body and painted it Tamiya Pure white, and the night before the race I masked/painted the blue canopy area w/Tamiya TS44 Brilliant Blue. This area is a decal in the kit, but I didn't trust the decals, so I scanned them just in case. I trimmed the canopy decals down to just the white/blue pinstripe that borders the white and blue, and it worked pretty well. I used Microscale decal film over all the other decals "just in case", therefore I spent about 6-8 hours just doing the decals slowly/carefully. It was fun doing the model "backwards"...I did the body final assembly and decals first, once they were done I did the interior, chassis, and rear wing. It also made the harder part (decals/final details) happen early in the day vs. in the middle of the night. I was done around midnight, with about an hour of work Sun. AM before the race ended to put decals on the rear wing and dry transfers on the tires. Next year, Revell's upcoming Compuware C5R :lol:

IMG_9002-vi.jpg

IMG_8990-vi.jpg

IMG_8991-vi.jpg

IMG_8995-vi.jpg

IMG_8997-vi.jpg

IMG_8998-vi.jpg

Basically we build a LeMans racer during the race.

Before the race I prepped the body and painted it Tamiya Pure white, and the night before the race I masked/painted the blue canopy area w/Tamiya TS44 Brilliant Blue.

Cheater! :lol:<_<

Nice work, Bob! B)

Edited by Trae

Thanks for the replies B)

Yes, I cheated my you-know-what off <_<

Hey, race teams prepare well ahead of the race, they don't just unload the car from the transporter 5 mins. before the race...:lol:

Let's just say I'm always going to start the palooza w/a fully painted body...after doing the final body assembly and decals first (as in when I'm fresh and in a good mood :lol:), I'm going to continue w/that strategy in the years to come!

Next year, Revell's upcoming Compuware C5R :angry:

Excellant job Bob!.. I am also waiting the the C5R Compuware Lemans car. I already have the body painted LeMans Blue and cleared ready for the decals.

:huh:

Looks as if I'm not the only one eagerly awaiting the release of this kit. Great work on the Mazda, Bob.

Edited by Jackson