Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Thunderbird Custom Project!!!

cruz

Looks like you're off to a great start on your "Bird" project, does the kit come with wire wheels also like it did in the past?

Thanks guys and Yes Nick, it also includes the wire wheel type hub caps.... B)

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH! That's what I'm talking about! You are absolutely right, the decals really do go well with this color. Can't wait to see the whole thing cleared and BMFed. How many more coats of clear will you be adding and what clear will you be using? I also love the satin look of that paint before you shot the clear, can it be left like that? B)

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH! That's what I'm talking about! You are absolutely right, the decals really do go well with this color. Can't wait to see the whole thing cleared and BMFed. How many more coats of clear will you be adding and what clear will you be using? I also love the satin look of that paint before you shot the clear, can it be left like that? B)

Thanks fellas! Ed, I will be adding at least 4 to 5 more coats of clear once all is said and done, I am using Odds and Ends clear for this one, it is very similar to PlastiKote clear. Yes, you can go with the satin look on it, I still suggest that you wetsand it and use the polishing cloths to make it look even better, there are always small defects on the paint that you need to correct in order for it to come out smooth. If you look at this picture closely, there are some small pebblelike marks on this paintjob. That's the reason for sanding before applying my decals.

ThunderbirdCustomproject002-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Fantastic build you've got here Cruz! In one of your pictures, I saw that you had a nice display case. My dad and I are looking for one, what brand is the one in the picture? It's the one with the Porsche in it. Thanks.

Thanks man. That is one of several different style cases I own, don't even remember where I got that one, I am sure it was at a hobby shop somewhere, they usually carry an assortment of them. They can range in price from 6 upwards to 12 or 14 dollars.

This is Simply an Amazing built. Great job on this so far. The craftsman ship looks great. the color is awesome. decal work is nice. I do have to ask a question on the Mexican hat hub caps, are those turned aluminum and if so where did you get them. I have been looking for some of these for a '49 Merc I want to build. I know Machined Aluminum Specialties used to make them but, he stopped making them. Keep up the great work.

What a Beaut!

I've seen this "embossing powder" for interiors mentioned a couple of times here..it's said that it works & looks better than the old flocking method.

What exactly is it & where do you find it ?

What he said. This is going to look good... :)

Those are Bob Dudek sombrero hubcaps in metal, I am sure someone here can help you find a way to get them. The embossing powders? Any good craft store like Michael's carries them.

Thank you Marcus... I will search them and see what I can find.

lOOKS GREAT !!! Great clor just started sanding mine Was going to use it as a dooner but going to build it up maybe pearl white. OK am i loosing it I dont see any mold lines on the body or am im blind? anything else to look for on the kit build also?

This is gonna look awesome Cruz, those decals look great under the clear. Can't wait to see it with the bare metal foil in place and polished to perfection. You are making a lot of people buy and start putting this one together, I just hope mine comes out half as good as yours will.