Model Cars Magazine Forum

Connection problem - at my end or this site?

It's the same for me.

This site is acting weird way too often. I PM'd Dave Ambrose the other day, but so far no answer.

Perhaps a phone call from Gregg is in order. Would you mind suggesting it?

Perhaps a phone call from Gregg is in order. Would you mind suggesting it?

I talked to Gregg about it yesterday. He's trying to Skype Dave, no luck yet.

The way Gregg explained it, the site has become too big for the current server to handle reliably... so he's shopping around for a new server/host. The problem is, to upgrade the site will cost $$$... and seeing as how this site is provided to you guys for free (Gregg pays for it out of his own pocket), I can see why he's hesitant to shell out big bucks to upgrade.

It would be very interesting to see how many forum members would be willing to pay a modest yearly fee to join the forum in exchange for a server/host upgrade...

Wait, I can hear it already.... no fee, keep it free! No fee, keep it free!

Well, remember that old saying: You get what you pay for... :)

This may be an unpopular and drastic solution, but would it be helpful to go in and delete older files? I don't know how they would be selected. Or would it be doable to move the server to a cloud computing service provider?

Edited by sjordan2

This may be an unpopular and drastic solution, but would it be helpful to go in and delete older files? I don't know how they would be selected. Or would it be doable to move the server to a cloud computing service provider?

I'm not a computer guy, so my answer is: I don't know. But Gregg (and hopefully the tech guy Dave) will figure out something... because what we have now isn't cutting it.

What about a dedicated server in his home connected to a dedicated high speed connection. Would that work?

Yeah... but that would mean adding a new dedicated high-speed connection, running the server 24/7/365, etc. I doubt Gregg would want to physically host the site out of his home.

We'll just have to wait and see what he decides to do.

It would be very interesting to see how many forum members would be willing to pay a modest yearly fee to join the forum in exchange for a server/host upgrade...

Wait, I can hear it already.... no fee, keep it free! No fee, keep it free!

Well, remember that old saying: You get what you pay for... ;)

A $10 annual fee is not uncommon on bigger site's, but usually has perks like on-site photo hosting, premium member's only forums, etc. I'd have NO problem paying that for the valuable info here, plus the entertainment value :lol:

Put up a poll Harry...

A $10 annual fee is not uncommon on bigger site's, but usually has perks like on-site photo hosting, premium member's only forums, etc. I'd have NO problem paying that for the valuable info here, plus the entertainment value :lol:

Put up a poll Harry...

No, no poll. It's just me wondering what the result would be. But I know Gregg wants to keep the forum free, a pay site isn't going to happen.

Put up a poll Harry...

I don't hang out on many other sites so a donation wouldn't be that bad.

As long as Gregg doesn't run out and get a Saleen Mustang... ;)

just got the "SQL" error message for the 1st time. Would it be help the site at all if older, currently inactive accounts were deleted if they take up space? Say for members that haven't logged in for a year or more? Or would it help if active members deleted their own topics that haven't been updated for a year or so, or maybe ones in the Swap/Trade/Free or Wanted Sections that are no longer needed? It's just a suggestion and I'm not sure if that might help how the site runs, but if it's over capacity then wouldn't that help? That way the mods & Gregg wouldn't have to do all the work, it's easy to delete our own unneeded threads/posts by clicking on "Topic Moderation" at the bottom of the page and selecting "Delete", then confirm and you're done.

** Just deleted 25 or 30 old topics of mine, only took about 10 minutes. If everyone cleaned up their old stuff hopefully it will help B)

Edited by MB_ChargerChick

keep the forums free and make the magazine an online deal with paid subscriptions just like the print magazine, drop the print magazine and it's related costs.

what, no magazine on the shelves?

you want it in print, you print it B)

no more problems with getting a torn, wet or previously viewed issue in the mailbox anymore.

I actually think this is a good idea. You wouldn't have to worry about ruined mags, you could read them right after they are published, more content could be added due to "unlimited" space, and the subscription could be cheaper due to the related costs. Heck, if you host it in PDF format, it's easy to print for those who want the print version, and no one should have problems loading it.

I actually think this is a good idea. You wouldn't have to worry about ruined mags, you could read them right after they are published, more content could be added due to "unlimited" space, and the subscription could be cheaper due to the related costs. Heck, if you host it in PDF format, it's easy to print for those who want the print version, and no one should have problems loading it.

No No No No No..

Gotta have the paper copy, be hard to carry my PC into my Library ;):unsure:B)

keep the forums free and make the magazine an online deal with paid subscriptions just like the print magazine, drop the print magazine and it's related costs.

you want it in print, you print it ;)

no more problems with getting a torn, wet or previously viewed issue in the mailbox anymore.

NO, no, no, and no. I want a mailed hard copy, damaged or not. I HATE online reading. And I hate electronic books as well. I am a old fart, and I love print. and NOT print from my computer.

you want it in print, you print it ;)

Dave's comments here have some merit. Every time a new issue comes out, the posts start adding up over the torn/damaged copies, haven't seen mine yet, what are Hot Wheels doing in a model mag, etc complaints and having the mag online allows you to avoid those problems. Everyone would have access to the magazine at the same time, no ripped up copies, ignore those articles that don't appeal to you, and if you HAVE to have a paper copy, print off the pages you want!

Gregg would save himself time and money if he were to go this route and server upgrades would be much easier to do.

Just my two pennies, I am sure I will get blasted.

PS- the connection problems seem to be worse for me in the evenings so I find myself not logging in then.

Dave Ambrose got back to me. Here is part of what he said:

"It looks to me like our hosting company had some sort of systemwide failure. Not sure what, but I'm hoping things are better.

Yes, we've outgrown this host -- in several ways.

With our current host, it's the number of simultaneous connections to the database, which causes the SQL errors that people are seeing. There are some other, more technical, gotchas too.

I've been hesitant to recommend us getting our own virtual server, but I think this is the way we need to go. Fortunately, we have many more options than we did 6 months ago.

I'll be talking to Gregg as soon as I get back to California (I'm currently in Toronto) if not sooner.

I hope people can be patient while we work on this, and I'll post something as soon as I can. "

So there you have it. That where it stands as of now.

Harry, this might sound like answer to someone who is "Computer - Literate ". However , most of this is just over my head . When someone candumb it down to a simpleton like me who saw huge computers in 1958 at a local I B M branch .......... Ed Shaver

Edited by Eshaver

Harry, this might sound like answer to someone who is "Computer - Literate ". However , most of this is just over my head . When someone candumb it down to a simpleton like me who saw huge computers in 1958 at a local I B M branch .......... Ed Shaver

In simple terms: This site has gotten too big (too many people connected at once) for the server (the computer where this site actually originates from). Sort of like if you overload an electrical circuit... you turn too many things on at once, the circuit can't supply enough power for everything, and the fuse blows.

We need to upgrade to a better/bigger/faster server.

Or get rid of a bunch of members... ;)