Model Cars Magazine Forum

A rather unusual Street Rod

mrm

Hi gang

ever since I was little I admired Ferraris and they have been my passion for a long time. In my teenage years I discovered street rods (they are almost nonexistent in Europe) So I always wanted to combine the too in models.

This is a model that was a challenge on a diecast forum. What I started with was a die cast toy from JADA, which they claimed was 1:24 on the box, but it was with caricature proportions, some of which almost reached 1:18 size.

This is what I started with

models428.jpg

models422.jpg

models424.jpg

models425.jpg

models431.jpg

models433.jpg

models436.jpg

So after seeing how bad this thing was, I started cutting away. The worst part was that not only I had to cut metal, but the thickness of the molds in some places was just ridiculous.

models474.jpg

models475.jpg

models477.jpg

First a strip was removed from the body from infront of the trunk

models488.jpg

Then another strip was removed from the forward edge of the trunk lid itself

models490.jpg

Then the entire rear was cut...

models491.jpg

and sections were removed

models492.jpg

And then everything was superglued back together, considerably shortening the whole model.

models493.jpg

The entire front was cut off and the sides thinned, which was A LOT of work.

models489.jpg

A new radius had to be cut for the rear tires

models496.jpg

models499.jpg

which meant that I had to also remove the extremely oversize hinges

models500.jpg

The front is way too wide, so I pie-cut the hood and squeezed it at the front

models501.jpg

The entire front sides were narrowed too and mated to a Revell '32 Grill

models502.jpg

It took some massaging, but it all fit at the end

models503.jpg

Then a lot of automotive putty

models504.jpg

and sheet styrene

models505.jpg

and we finally have a modern stretched Deuce body with the exact track dimensions of a Ferrari California

models506.jpg

A lot more putty and self etching primer later....

models507.jpg

models511.jpg

At this time the rear underpannel with the rear diffuser from a Ferrari California (Revell of Germany) was grafted at the rear

models510.jpg

The wheels came from a Joueff 1:18 Ferrari 330P4. The rears are shod in the front tires from the die cast 330P4 and the front wheels were narrowed and shod in the front tires from a Tamiya Ferrari F360

models512.jpg

The entire undertray from a Revell Ferrari 599 was grafted on the bottom.

models514.jpg

At this point the model started to look very WWII bomber like, because of the green primer. so I decided to run with the idea.

I decided to stuff the 599's V12 engine under the hood. The first thing was to redo the intake plenum. It was drilled so the two halves could be separated and the throttle bodies and air filters from the sides were removed

models480.jpg

models481.jpg

The engine block will receive some detailing too.

models482.jpg

some circles were punched from styrene

models483.jpg

and glued to tubing to make some belts pulleys

models484.jpg

Some other uses for the circles, were filling the back of the alternator for example

models485.jpg

models486.jpg

models487.jpg

Because of the cramped space under the Deuce's hood, the intake plenums were all smoothed out and the throttle bodies were moved to the front. they are built from various styrene tubing

models509.jpg

Then a new air filter box was scratch built. I tried to make it look sort of like an ammo box found on a military airplane (although I have no idea how they really look like LOL)

models513.jpg

Thank you guys

The floor from the Ferrari California was cut to shape and slightly modified

models508.jpg

A fire wall was made from styrene, with some strips to imitate reinforcement stamping

models518.jpg

some PE discs with the calipers of the California

models516.jpg

and then some scratchbuilt brackets for the brakes

models519.jpg

And the wired and plumbed engine almost completely ready

models515.jpg

Edited by mrm

When the car was finished I was running out of time for the deadline, so I don't have that many pictures of the final assembly. Also some things did not get done the way I wanted them or did not get done at all. Maybe one day I'll take it apart and add some more detail and correct some other things. I was thinking to even hinge the doors. The hood will definitely need some hinges and then, maybe I'll paint the whole car some cool color. But until then, here is the wicked Wabbit

modelsf.jpg

models454.jpg

models455.jpg

models456.jpg

models457.jpg

models458.jpg

models459.jpg

models460.jpg

models461.jpg

models462.jpg

I'm not a rat rod builder a all.

However this is looking very cool and all the hard work

is paying off to make it a very nice rat rod

Thank you.

I would definitely not qualify this as a rat rod though.

After seeing this. I would love to see one of these in a 1:1 including the engine and interior.

There are two Deuces in the past who have won the title "America's Most Beautiful Roadster" that were powered by V12 Ferrari engines, so the idea is not really new. Recently there was a car that debuted at Pebble Beach that was not a Deuce, but a V12 Ferrari powered Street Rod none the less.

I have one project that was started 12 years ago and was finished about 3 weeks ago, which is a much better interpretation of the same idea. I rushed it for the Heartland Nationals and end up with some serious shortcomings in it, so it needs to be "retouched"- so to speak.

Also on my project lists are three more Deuces that will use Ferrari power. One Phaeton inspired by the Coddington-built Bob Kolmos tub, one woody wagon, which although based on the speed wagon is my design and an all out modern interpretation of a Deuce with V8 California power.

You will see them all in their own time.

mrm