Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is your Favorite Hobby Tool?

Hello to Everyone..Sit here and wonder what is your favorite hobby tool? which is the one you Like and Use the Most..

Mine seems to be my Tweezers..which i have taken and put heat wrap (the stuff used for electrical wires) on the end of the tweezers gives me a firm grip on the part...and will not harm the Painted surfaces..anyway that is my favorite Tool..What's Yours?.....Cheers

I may have the same affection for my self closing tweezers. No matter what other tool I'm using they always seem to be involved. I have many other regular tweezers of various shapes that just sit unused.

I'll say that while the tweezers and excato are crucial to building, my favorite tool would have to be the panel scriber. I know guys use the back of the excato blade but for me its the scriber. I use this around doors and trim so that when I paint I don't loose detail! I scribe these things and give it a black wash before painting my base color. Makes a huge difference in the cars appearance.

For me i'd have to say my hand and fingers !!! I know that sounds off the wall, but as a 30+ year auto mechanic and model builder, i've learned that my hands are the most important tool in my toolbox !! I've already had 1 surgery to replace a thumb joint and rehab that. Very soon after that the same thumb had to get repaired again after a slip of the xacto knife ( which is why it is not my favorite ) that severed a nerve and lost all feeling in the hand. Rehab again for it and after a couple years the feeling has returned slowly. So, yeah, appreciate those hands and fingers !! :D

One of MY favorites is an electric pin vise. These things came in certain AMT Star Trek kits that had fiber-optic lighting, and I modified one to take a #76 bit. It runs on 2 AA batteries and you just squeeze the handle to make it run. It turns slow enough to not break bits, but fast enough to make drilling those wiring holes a breeze. I've been using it for about 10-15 years now.

One of MY favorites is an electric pin vise. These things came in certain AMT Star Trek kits that had fiber-optic lighting, and I modified one to take a #76 bit. It runs on 2 AA batteries and you just squeeze the handle to make it run. It turns slow enough to not break bits, but fast enough to make drilling those wiring holes a breeze. I've been using it for about 10-15 years now.

Oh man, I could REALLY use one of those right now!!!!!!!!! Can they be bought anywhere? I never knew they even made anything like that?

Oh man, I could REALLY use one of those right now!!!!!!!!! Can they be bought anywhere? I never knew they even made anything like that?

I've never seen them for sale seperately. The one I have came in an AMT Star Trek Enterprise D(TNG)with fiber optics. I think they were also in the Star Trek DS9 fiber optic kit. You can find these kits on Ebay, but they would be pricey for just the drill....maybe take the drill out and resell the rest? If mine ever stops working, I'm going to give up modeling. B):o :o

I've never seen them for sale seperately. The one I have came in an AMT Star Trek Enterprise D(TNG)with fiber optics. I think they were also in the Star Trek DS9 fiber optic kit. You can find these kits on Ebay, but they would be pricey for just the drill....maybe take the drill out and resell the rest? If mine ever stops working, I'm going to give up modeling. B) B) B)

Look into a flex shaft with a foot control...I used to have a few of them at he benches in the shop, mine came from "foredom" if memory seves me right.You can get dentist style or jewelers style handpieces...I used the foot control and was spoiled rotten !!.Makes the dremel more like a chain saw!!;):o

Look into a flex shaft with a foot control...I used to have a few of them at he benches in the shop, mine came from "foredom" if memory seves me right.You can get dentist style or jewelers style handpieces...I used the foot control and was spoiled rotten !!.Makes the dremel more like a chain saw!!B) B)

Hi, My 40+ year old xacto hot knife. Great for cutting glue bombs apart. Steve