Model Cars Magazine Forum

scratch built 1965 Crown Firecoach Engine 51

I just finished this engine today. I scratch built the entire body, and cab from styrene, as nobody makes a 1/25 scale Crown. These are what a fire engine should look like to me. This model represents LA County Engine 51 from the series Emergency in the early to mid 70's. This engine appeared in the first two seasons. I made patterns for the main parts of the cab so I can trace them out and make different Crowns in the future. I used various detail parts in white metal from AITM, and the front and rear ends and wheels from an AMT LaFrance pumper. I still need to find some decals for LA County fire apparatus. There are a lot of area I want to improve on the next one I build, but this is my favorite fire engine of all time.

P1010023-1.jpg

P1010021-1.jpg

P1010020-2.jpg

P1010019-2.jpg

P1010022.jpg

Cheers Bill

P1010024-1.jpg

P1010025.jpg

P1010026.jpg

P1010027.jpg

VERY nice Bill!!!!!!! Are you going to build the Dodge rescue squad to go with it? Everything was available to build it not too long ago but I'm not sure if it's still all available?

Beautifully done Bill! I agree with you about the Crown, one of the finest fire rigs built. The Dept. I work for had one until 2002. Wish I had pictures of it. I thought that someone at one time made LACOFD decals but I don't remember who. If I had any I would send them to you. You might try the internet for some images and make some. If I turn something up I'll PM you. I like the outdoor pictures too.

That cab is a hard one to replicate with all of the curves on the front. It looks like you nailed it!!!

As far as the Squad that was available, it was from 10-8 Hobbies, which closed up awhile ago. I do have his moulds for alot of the fire parts including the Squad parts. Unfortunatly, most of them are beyond using, and I'm having to start over.

The Jbot decal set would have everything except the license plate, and the E51 lettering in white.