Model Cars Magazine Forum

'76 Chevrolet Caprice Classic

Nick Winter

Have been a bit of a slow builder lately, so I felt that I needed something to just have finished. This poor old Caprice has lived with me since it was first reissued by RC2 and shipped to Dailey Hobbies not long after it opened, I purchased it there around the time that I was first starting out (well I was a year into the hobby), It sat and Sat and SAT, till this year when I realized I would never build it, so I tried trading it off, then Round2 Reissued it, so it gradually donated parts, while getting something out of it the other day, I deceided what to do with it, at Work me and my boss have been body working and preping a truck to be painted, it's a '90 Ford Bronco, naturally we removed all the trim and replaced the rust with new metal, pulled dents, banged out dings and started the priming and filling, so that's where the idea comes from, funny enough the paint also came from work, Thanks to my great boss Doug for the donation.

In the near Future I see a finished version of this car (I want the Emergency equipment from that Kit)

Paint is Ford Medium Cabernot Solid M6156A and Ford Silver Poly M6349A , both done on my lunch break.

FILE0775.jpg

FILE0777.jpg

FILE0779.jpg

FILE0780.jpg

FILE0783.jpg

FILE0778.jpg

FILE0781.jpg

FILE0782.jpg

Nick

Edited by Nick Winter

Nice touch with the mix-n-match wheels. Much like every car I've ever seen on a budget lot. Ever wonder where all the treaded tires on budget lots migrate to? Is there a used car axiom that mandates all tires must be mixed sizes and come from a ditch?

What are the big holes for all over it? Gangsta car? You are improving.

Scale i think he wants it to look as if all the molding and out side items were removed for paint.

This is a neat looking set up . If you keep it this way you should take a news paper to copy shop and have them reduce it to scale and cover the windows to show that they were mask off and sparyed .

What are the big holes for all over it? Gangsta car? You are improving.

Scale i think he wants it to look as if all the molding and out side items were removed for paint.

This is a neat looking set up . If you keep it this way you should take a news paper to copy shop and have them reduce it to scale and cover the windows to show that they were mask off and sparyed .

David you Hammered the Nail right on the head (thank you gramps for that paraphrase), that was the idea of the holes, And Steve, I know the marker lights would have open holes if removed, but they are too tiny for these big hands to remove square, so I just drilled a hole in the center like I've seen on newer cars with flush mount Marker lights.

Thanks Guys.

Nick

I like your idea and execution. The overspray on the wheel/tires works great. However, (and I could be wrong, so if any of you know, please post,) I think by 1976, GM and a lot of other US manufacturers were using self adhesive body trim rather than metal trim clips. I bring this up, as I'd like to know when this transition was made. I suspect the name scripts would have been bolt on, but not sure of the side moldings. Nick, I'm not trying to nitpick here; your modeling skills and creativity improve every time I see one of your projects. I'd like to know on the trim myself, as I find myself thinking about building a "junker" or resto style project like yours more and more.

I like your idea and execution. The overspray on the wheel/tires works great. However, (and I could be wrong, so if any of you know, please post,) I think by 1976, GM and a lot of other US manufacturers were using self adhesive body trim rather than metal trim clips. I bring this up, as I'd like to know when this transition was made. I suspect the name scripts would have been bolt on, but not sure of the side moldings. Nick, I'm not trying to nitpick here; your modeling skills and creativity improve every time I see one of your projects. I'd like to know on the trim myself, as I find myself thinking about building a "junker" or resto style project like yours more and more.

Jim I also wasn't sure and thought that this way people would notice that the trim was removed.

I appreciate your kind words.

Nick

Nick, the side moulding, window trim, and vynil roof chrome trim was attached with small studs that were welded to the body, then plastic clips were used to actually hold the trim to the body. There were only holes to install script. At least that's how we did it at Cadillac in 76.

beginning in 74, the side molding on the Impala Custom was glue on, my dad's 74 had it and it was a constant source of annoyance to him as the ends would start falling off and droop. Some Impala models with the metal moldings, and Caprices, had clips. I think that by 76 though, all the B body Chevys had stick on trim on the sides.