Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just a quick question, I'm getting back into building and have decided I want to make a dually version of the revell silverado I built this version back when it came out

1.jpgand I've been looking at revells website and I see this version

7200_99_Chevy_Silverado.jpg

My question is are they the same kit? Are there parts in this new version to build a stock truck? or is this a different kit altogether?

any info would be great thanks!

-Dante

It's the same basic kit, with a lowering suspension and custom wheels and tires.

Ok thanks, is the suspension to make it the stock ride height included? or only the lowered suspension?

395813955.jpg

I need to find that kit so I can make a copy of my daily driver.

That looks sweet! are those the 20's chevy was offering through dealers?

heres a few places for it 99 Silverado

My question is what parts do you need to make it a dually and or a 2500 or 3500.I have made a stock version and want a 2500 and 3500 and yes,dually truck.I know the rearend and springs have to change and the rims have to change.the decals have to say 2500 or 3500. what else has to change.and or course the where do you get the bed rear fenders or the whole bed with the rear fenders atteached.Thanks.TIA,Chris

My question is what parts do you need to make it a dually and or a 2500 or 3500.I have made a stock version and want a 2500 and 3500 and yes,dually truck.I know the rearend and springs have to change and the rims have to change.the decals have to say 2500 or 3500. what else has to change.and or course the where do you get the bed rear fenders or the whole bed with the rear fenders atteached.Thanks.TIA,Chris

From what I remember the HD models have the black plastic fender flares on the front and their hood is slightly different, it bulges up higher than a 1500, of course the wheels and suspension and bed, I'm actually going to make a work truck of some kind so I may use the modelhaus utility bed or I'm seriously thinking about waiting until the wrecker that revell is releasing comes out and mixing the 2 kits and making a 99 3500 wrecker out of it.

I also want to mix the wrecker kit or utility bed with the AMT 93 F-150 to make an F-350 too.

About the only parts in common are the basic cab and the bed, depending on model. The entire front clip is different. The bed from the kit could be used with a 2500 extended cab, as the 6.5' bed was available with that cab. The other 2500s and 3500s used the 8' bed. The frame and front suspension are also different, in addition to the rear suspension and axle. The 2500 and 3500 used a torsion bar front suspension w/forged control arms on boht 2wd and 4x4 models.

As far as the cab and bed go, I have seen both available in resin, not sure of whe makes them, as i saw them at a show in Indy. I might have the casters name, as i did purchase a few items from him. I think I still have his card. If I find it, I'll let you know.

From what I remember the HD models have the black plastic fender flares on the front and their hood is slightly different, it bulges up higher than a 1500, of course the wheels and suspension and bed, I'm actually going to make a work truck of some kind so I may use the modelhaus utility bed or I'm seriously thinking about waiting until the wrecker that revell is releasing comes out and mixing the 2 kits and making a 99 3500 wrecker out of it.

I also want to mix the wrecker kit or utility bed with the AMT 93 F-150 to make an F-350 too.

Thank you for the info on this.I don't know what the hood for the HD trucks would look like.is it a tuff scrath build to do? I do alot of scratch building.....I do love that. is the engine that is in the 99 kit the right one for the heavier trucks?Thank you

About the only parts in common are the basic cab and the bed, depending on model. The entire front clip is different. The bed from the kit could be used with a 2500 extended cab, as the 6.5' bed was available with that cab. The other 2500s and 3500s used the 8' bed. The frame and front suspension are also different, in addition to the rear suspension and axle. The 2500 and 3500 used a torsion bar front suspension w/forged control arms on boht 2wd and 4x4 models.

As far as the cab and bed go, I have seen both available in resin, not sure of whe makes them, as i saw them at a show in Indy. I might have the casters name, as i did purchase a few items from him. I think I still have his card. If I find it, I'll let you know.

Thank you for this info on the truck.I have a couple rearends like the ones used in the 3500's.I'll make the springs and perchs for the springs.I guess I will look for some info on the front to see if I can make the front suspension as well.what is different in the frame besides length and highth? and is there a dual tanks and where are they located? is the engine that is in the 1500 the same or is it different as well? yes if you can find the casters name I would like the contact info.again I thank you for the info on this truck.Thank you,Chris

The frames are similar in basic design, most of the difference is in the suspension mounting, material thickness, and siderail channel depth. You should be able to use the 1500 frame as a base to start from. The pickups never had a factory dual tank option, so the factory tank will be fine. As far as engines go, most 3500s on the GMT800 chassis ('00-'07) used either the Vortec 8100 big block or a Duramax Deisel, neither of which have been done in scale to my knowledge. The Vortec 6.1 did see use in theem as well, and would be virtually identical to the 1500. The transmissions were either the 4L80E (light duty) or the Allison 1000. The 4L80E can be found in the AMT 454SS. Manual transmissions were mostly NV4500.

For the front suspension, it follows the same basic layout as the AMT Tahoe, though with forged lower control arms instead of the ealier stamped control arms that the Tahoe has,