Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show Yer Drag Racers!

SuperStockAndy

DSC03298.jpg........ The '64 Impala won the '64 US Nationals C/FX class (this was pre funny car) owned by Dave Dehart owner of Suburban Motors Muncie, Indiana and driven by Don Rudick. It had a de- stroked 327 by use of a 283 crank making it a high reving 301 cubic inch engine built by Don. After the Nationals the stock 327 was put back in it and the car was sold with only the low drag strip miles "1/4 mile at a time" on the odometer.

Somehow, some way, I missed this thread all the way back to last year!!!

Firstly, It is really gratifying to see a number of builders building the resin I sell. You all did a great job. I also mastered the Flinstone Studebaker Funny Car and Top Fuel bodies and the Cheez-Cast Opel GT. Very fun to see the Opel built!

Even though I am into a lot of things, drag racing is my first love and do my best work on drag cars.

Without further delay......

I had to build one of my own! The Bugzapper is done in custom mixed purple to match the M&Ms wrapper. Also used were Slixx decals, lots of photo etch, LOTS of braided line and A/N fittings- holy cow! I hinged the escape hatch, machined a drive shaft, front hubs and wheelie wheel and bracket. Scratchbuilt a new magneto set-up, fuel system parts and wheelie bars. The paint was a little weak and Steve Perry and John Teresi skunked me at GSL 2011!! :angry: I am plotting revenge. Anyway, it was a fun model to build.

CIMG2917a-vi.jpg

CIMG2924a-vi.jpg

CIMG2918a-vi.jpg

A rebuilt an already built Jo-Han Superbird into one of my faves - The Sox & Martin Superbird! Used an AMT Road Runner chassis-fit like a glove. This is also one of my faves.

415030-vi.jpg

I built this in 1972-73 and won 1st junior at the St. Paul MPC contest with it. IMC with chopped top, candy green with Pactra clear flake over it.

big4-vi.jpg

big2-vi.jpg

Edited by Modelmartin

I built this 928 funny car back in about 79-80. It has a flat-12 engine with compressed air induction and ground effects!

928fc-vi.jpg

928fc1-vi.jpg

928fc4-vi.jpg

Relatively out of box Revell Firebird with Slixx decals and Tamiya paint. The paint job and decalling was challenging but fun and it turned out well.

madpolitical2-vi.jpg

I mastered this for Cheez-cast and built one for me. No wiring or plumbing on this one. Just some quick fun building.

vette001-vi.jpg

This was a gluebomb/Parts box special I built just a few years ago. It is a "What I would have built when I was 13 but couldn't" special. It was fun to do. I even used Testor's Lime Gold flake on it! The engine is a blown olds from the AMT willys kit.

gt12d-vi.jpg

Cool builds Andy. The Porsche is really interesting. Too bad you don't have any color shots to show off.

Thank you, Wayne. I really appreciate the compliments when they come from an accomplished builder such as you! I still have the Porsche but unfortunately I repainted it a year or so after those pics and it doesn't have the same impact. I have thought of restoring it to the original Martini colors of white with red and blue stripes. I do have the decals. They are off the Tamiya 936. At the same time I built the funny car, I also started a Porsche flat 12 Top Fuel car and a 928 Pro Stock. Never got those beyond the mockup phase.

I hope to be posting some more pics this week of some of my stuff that hasn't been out in years, if not decades!