Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale-Master

This will be the gold Holman-Moody car with the pink flash. Body is resin; the locating groove for the splitter in the hood vent needs to be filled for this version, (the kit builds one of two versions), and the lower rocker panels also needed some filler. Otherwise it is a relatively nice and thin casting.

DSC00076.jpg

Did you ever run across any info as to why they decided to paint parts of the front pink? Was someone else running a gold Mark II there?

Did you ever build any of the IMC/Testors kits? If so, I'd love to see those sometime too.

Edited by Monty

There was the #4 (also Holman-Moody) car that was a somewhat similar color, more bronze/copper than this one's color.

It had a green flash on the nose and a green panel on the right side. This one will also get a pink diamond on the right side.

The coloring was for easier identification.

I have some of the original IMC kits, but have not built them. Yet...

After the body was cleaned up and lightly primed, I shot a tan base coat then built up the gold in very light coats using Tamiya paints. DSC00096.jpg

The first couple of passes were done from the can, but the more than half of the paint was applied by airbrush, the finish and metallic came out finer that way.

DSC00097.jpg

Once the base coats were built up I could see I would not be happy with the flake and texture. I color sanded the body with 1000 grit wet. (It smelled like sanding aluminum metal, must be a lot of actual metal in TS-21.)

A few more rounds of airbrushing the gold and color sanding filled in the texture and very light coats proved to be the key to achieving a uniform and smooth finish.

Did you ever run across any info as to why they decided to paint parts of the front pink? Was someone else running a gold Mark II there?

Did you ever build any of the IMC/Testors kits? If so, I'd love to see those sometime too.

The original flashes were done at the track after the team had trouble identifying the cars coming into the pits at night. If you see photos of the start, they don't have the pink and green flashes. One of those on the fly modifications.

Here I have started applying the decals. You can see the gold looks smoother and less grainy now. The roundel for the rear that goes over the rear edge of the scoop was not made to fit over the scoop. So I hand painted the white and the fine black pinstripe outline by hand. (Too bad my “registration” is better than the kit’s decals, that issue didn’t jump out as much to me before…)

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

The interior did benefit from the seat decals. If I do another one of these I’ll fill in the molded seat dimples. At least through the windows and inside the body it looks good. The kit even provides a fiddly little vac-u-form piece for the intake as well as two white metal parts and one PE.

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

Not exactly the best rendered wheels, but then it is an older kit. Did what I could with them…

Kit was missing the tire decals, but the Ferrari 330 had an extra set, but a tad small in diameter for these tires, so I cut the pinstripe and hand painted the gaps back in after they were applied.

DSC00104.jpg

Not exactly the best rendered wheels, but then it is an older kit. Did what I could with them…

Kit was missing the tire decals, but the Ferrari 330 had an extra set, but a tad small in diameter for these tires, so I cut the pinstripe and hand painted the gaps back in after they were applied.

WOW, what Great detailing! But I've finally figured out how you can do such amazing TINY detailed work!!! You've got 20X Eyes, Your Heart has been replaced with a constant flow pump and your Nerves have all been removed. Yep I'm on to you now!!!! :lol::D