Model Cars Magazine Forum

worlds most expensive model

sm2gq.jpg

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-09/13/worlds-most-expensive-model-car

Most drivers wouldn't even be able to fit a toe inside what is mooted to be one of the most expensive cars at this year's Frankfurt Motor Show.

The Lamborghini Aventador,which will be on display under tight security and in a bullet proof case, is a 1:8 replica model of the original but, at €3.5 million, is nearly 12 times more dear. It has already won the title of the world's most expensive and precious model car -- a title ratified by Guinness World Records .

The car was crafted by German model maker Robert Gülpen -- who has also created miniatures of the Morgan Aero 8; Mercedes Benz 500 SL and Aston Martin DB5 from precious metals and gems.

The Lamborghini is made from carbon fibre like the original and its shell was milled using computer modelling data handed over from the Italian car manufacturer. But, adds Gülpen, he wrapped a 1/1000mm thin thread of solid gold around the carbon fibres -- a feature the original doesn't boast. The tyre rims have been cast from solid gold and platinum as has the entire interior, while diamonds have been inserted into the seat, headlights and steering wheel, adds Oddity Central.

The car is going to be auctioned in December by Sotheby's, in either Dubai or New York, with the bidding starting at €3.5 million, but if you have €4.5 million to spare, you could take it home from Frankfurt tomorrow. I just wonder if the security guards are included in that price.

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

But in my very personal taste and appreciation, for much,much less than that I could have several models made by great scale model car artisans in the traditional manner and amazing full detail by the greats Gerald Wingrove,Michele Conti and Manuel Olive Sans...these by no means are cheap as they go from $20,000 and up....but what masterpiece they are!!

This Lambo model is an impresive model in it's real carbon fiber look and the modeler/artisan did a great job in capturing the lines and looks of the real car, but take away the presius metals and stones and the price will drop like a rock in a pond and there not to much to look at in terms of detail/replication in scale of the real car like engine,suspension,etc.

Edited by Plasticfanatic

It does rather look like the windsheild is missing, doesn't it?

At least as of right now (subject to hourly change considering how unstable the Euro is right now,) 3-1/2 million Euros= $ 4,849,449.84, per www.xe.com at 2:24 AM, EDT, Sept. 16, 2011.

I think I'd rather a 12-room Tudor or Victorian mansion in Wellesley, Weston or Newton for that kind of money.

Charlie Larkin

I agree Charlie, I could get a nice house ( Indiana ) and get out of debt, AND get a few cool cars!! Oh, and remodel my " model " work space!!! LOL!!!

Actually, given the depressed state of real estate in Greater Boston, Derrick, with the exception of Weston (one of the ten most expensive towns in America,) The $4.8 million, even if after taxes, will still get me a decent house someplace in eastern Massachusetts, pay off everything else, get at least one business started, and buy me a new Town Car, a pickup for utility work, and clean up the Roadmaster for hauling lots of people. And I'd still probably have enough for two weeks someplace warm in January.

Charlie Larkin

I'd like to know how he does his basic casting, molding, etc. I just visited his site, and it's clear to see that the Mercedes 300 SL Roadster has been taken from the Italeri/Revell 1/16 kit and the 300 SL Gullwing is from the 1/16 Minicraft/Entex/etc. kit.

They offer 1:18 diecast models which he says are significantly less expensive than the others because they plate the metal of the existing model rather than making new molds every time.

Edited by sjordan2

Actually, given the depressed state of real estate in Greater Boston, Derrick, with the exception of Weston (one of the ten most expensive towns in America,) The $4.8 million, even if after taxes, will still get me a decent house someplace in eastern Massachusetts, pay off everything else, get at least one business started, and buy me a new Town Car, a pickup for utility work, and clean up the Roadmaster for hauling lots of people. And I'd still probably have enough for two weeks someplace warm in January.

Charlie Larkin

:D :D :D That killed me Charlie!!!!! LOL!!!