Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Dodge 2 Dr Ht.

Hypermung

Hi Guys. Now I (sort of) know how to post pix, I'm going to share the progress on a build I've been collecting bits for, for a few years now & only recently started. Please excuse me if the text is a bit fragmented, but I'm still learnin!. There's upteen threads on Mustangs, Chevys, Batmobiles, dozens of General Lee's, etc, etc, but I've only seen 1 other thread on a 59 Dodge & that was a very nice wagon in April last year, so I thought I'd get you all 'Forward Looking' & show you what I consider to be one of Virgil Exner's best designs. The 1959 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer body is not an original Johan issue (that are prone to warpage issues), but the later 80's Excell re-issue kit with the better plastic throughout.24thDodgebeforecut.jpg As this is only a kerbside kit & I want total detail throughout, the first order is to open the hood up. Easier said than done though as the plastic towards the bend of the hood is at least 1/4" thick (they must have hung them by the back or something?)Hoodcutout.jpgHoodup.jpgNoticed the AMT 58 Plymouth in the background?. Well, the Dodge needs an engine bay & chassis detail, & as I haven't found a 59 Mopar with under hood detail, a 58 will have to do (not quite 'correct', but near enough). I'll modify it to suit the 59.AMT58Pymouthcut.jpg

You got my attention.. I sure follow this one... :rolleyes:

I know you Fins & Swedes & Danes LOVE your Forward Lookers Hertsi. I also frequent 'The Forward Look Net' & I've seen many fine examples of Virgil Exner's designs go over the big pond over the years. Hey,I done it myself. I imported my life long dream from South Carolina last year (see my avitar). I guess you couldn't have helped taking notice, coming from 'Fin Land" & all...... lol

Two issues I had to deal with straight away, were the firewall & chassis. The 58 uses a different heater box. Similar, but different. So I cut the motor part off the end & the other end got shaved as well, then used some model putty to rough out a correct 59 heater box. It still needs heaps more work, but at least it's sort of the right shape. 58to59firewallmods.jpgNow the chassis. The AMT Plymouth has wonderful chassis detail almost identical in every way to a 59 Dodge, except the Plymouth has a 118" wheelbase, & the Dodge uses a 122" wheelbase. So I cut the chassis & floor pan just before the rear wheel humps & spring perches, & extended the chassis to 122" (scale). More putty to finish the chassis join nicely.Plymouth118toDodge122inchwheelbaseextension.jpg

Attention turns to the basic engine. The 58 Plymouth's engine seems to be a curious mix between an early Mopar 350 big block, & a later 318 poly engine? Perhaps Revell used something that was already modeled previously? Anyway, this is going to be a model of the rare D-500 option which used the (as then) NEW 383cu big block. I sourced a few kits for a '383' & found a couple of nice examples, but decided to go for the Revell 68 R/T Charger kit as this one comes with both a Hemi & a 440 big block. The 440 is almost identical to a 383 externally, so I decided to go with this & modify the 440 to emulate the 383 (& then I've still got a Hemi to complete the 68 R/T someday). The 58 Plymouth's engine was cut from the Torque Flite transmission, & the 383 (440) was mated to the tranny. The sump from the 58 Belvy was also used so the engine / trans combination will fit the front crossmember correctly.Revell383cuwithAMTplymouthsump.jpgAMTTorqueFlytetoRevell383cu.jpg Then we can test fit the whole package for the first time.Testfitcomponents.jpg

You picked a good car for subject matter. Will you be building it showroom stock, or custom?

This is going to be showroom stock, as new condition (sorry Doc, I'm not going to crankify it. I have warped original Johan issues for that someday). I'm still pondering if I should build it as a Coronet or a Custom Royal ? I also have some correct twin air cleaners & manifold from a Johan 1960 Desoto that I could build a MEGA rare 'Super D-500' if I want to. Same 383 engine with the twin 4 BBL carbys. Hmmmm ?. Dunno yet how it's going to go, or even the colour, but it will be fully detailed throughout.

You have my attention too Glen! Mopar builds are my favorites, especially the off-beat ones. I just hope this doesn't fizzle-out before it's done. There was a beautiful `64 Dodge going together that disappeared......

Nice job so far. Color choice? I know they had some...er, "interesting" combinations back in the day.

Very nice work on your research of the engine and trans. You appear to be on the right track and may produce the first 1950's vehicle for this build off as it appeared out of the showroom. My hat's off to you. If you need reference pics, pm me.

Thanks for the encouragement Guys. It's very appreciated. I don't need reference pix thanks as I can always go to the shed to reference my 1:1

Very rare kit you are building. Your progress is looking very good so far. Keep up the work

I have been collecting 59 Dodges for a number of years now. I still have in my stash 2 unbuilt re-issues (1 with the uncommon green tint 'Solex' glass), & 2 factory assembled re-issues. I also have a number of Johan originalsrecents021.jpgrecents023.jpgrecents031.jpg... I guess you could say I love my 59 Dodges

Another update: I've used the fan belts, generator & power steering pump from the 58 Belvy kit on the '383'. Also test fit the radiator, battery & power brake setup. It all appears to fit ok @ this stage. The gaps on the edge of the engine bay will be filled with some sheet styrene to mate it to the body when it finally goes together.DodgeEnginefit026.jpgLookong fairly close to the real thing383Dodgeengine.jpg

You have my attention too Glen! Mopar builds are my favorites, especially the off-beat ones. I just hope this doesn't fizzle-out before it's done. There was a beautiful `64 Dodge going together that disappeared......

Nice job so far. Color choice? I know they had some...er, "interesting" combinations back in the day.

I'll either paint it black (like my 1:1) or otherwise this 2 tone Aqua & white really grabs my eye.57Dodge.jpg