Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 questions in one thread (if allowed)

If you want to see all three 409s build you can do this in model related now, Get a AMT or Linburg 409, There you have the normal 409/409hp, Get the new Revell Impala 409 and you have the service pack 2 or later know'n as 409/425hp.. You can see the high rise difference in the manifold. Take either block and use the Z-11 goodies that came in AmT 62 Bel Air that should have been in the 63 Impala and make your self the 409 Z-11 motor. You can also get the AMT 63 Impala to make the litte 380hp 409 with the single carb.

That's my point. What difference does it make ? The 5.0 started out as a 221. Fill in the blanks.

Well I think it is handy to know what motors shared parts. That way if you get a kit with a certain motor but the car you are building had another it helps track down a donor. This kind of gets to my post the other day about the B/RB block. Dodge used the 413 in many of its medium / heavy duty trucks. I found it helpful to know that the 350 / 361 / 383 and 413 / 426 / 440 are all essentially the same externally, but the 273 / 318 / 360 found in many Dodge kits, despite an overlap in displacement is a completely different motor.

It is also helpful so I don't spend time trying to find a replacement when the kit motor works just fine (for example the Chevy W 348 vs 409 which from a model perspective is the same engine)

Well I think it is handy to know what motors shared parts. That way if you get a kit with a certain motor but the car you are building had another it helps track down a donor. This kind of gets to my post the other day about the B/RB block. Dodge used the 413 in many of its medium / heavy duty trucks. I found it helpful to know that the 350 / 361 / 383 and 413 / 426 / 440 are all essentially the same externally, but the 273 / 318 / 360 found in many Dodge kits, despite an overlap in displacement is a completely different motor.

It is also helpful so I don't spend time trying to find a replacement when the kit motor works just fine (for example the Chevy W 348 vs 409 which from a model perspective is the same engine)

I think you have a valid point.But it's interesting how many build models and don't know the basics (where the plugs go on a specific engine). But to go off on these threads when someone asks a simple question (not a stupid question,there is no such thing) and some one else gives a basic simple answer then everyone and their dog goes off siting all of the finer (?) points. I.E. a 301 is actually a bored out 283. It does nothing but muddy up the waters.

Edited by Greg Myers

If you want to see all three 409s build you can do this in model related now, Get a AMT or Linburg 409, There you have the normal 409/409hp, Get the new Revell Impala 409 and you have the service pack 2 or later know'n as 409/425hp.. You can see the high rise difference in the manifold. Take either block and use the Z-11 goodies that came in AmT 62 Bel Air that should have been in the 63 Impala and make your self the 409 Z-11 motor. You can also get the AMT 63 Impala to make the litte 380hp 409 with the single carb.

What was in this one ?Revell55Chevy1024.jpg

I think you have a valid point.But it's interesting how many build models and don't know the basics (where the plugs go on a specific engine). But to go off on these threads when someone asks a simple question (not a stupid question,there is no such thing) and some one else gives a basic simple answer then everyone and their dog goes off siting all of the finer (?) points. I.E. a 301 is actually a bored out 283. It does nothing but muddy up the waters.

Ok, you were going somewhere other than where I thought. I actually thought you were suggesting there was no point in knowing what the engine in a kit was since they all kind of look the same which surprised me.

What was in this one ?Revell55Chevy1024.jpg

I have several of those (various releases), the W engine in it is kind of an odd duck. The block itself can easily be either a 348 or 409, with a somewhat oversize cast iron Powerglide. When assembled properly, it's not a bad peice, though the 38 from the Revell '59/60 Impalas and the AMT '62 Impala/Bel Air is much better. The dual quad intake is the part that's somewhat odd (there's also a supercharger in the kit for it). The intake is a to peice design, which can lead one to beleive it's a Z-11 intake, though it could just as easily be an aftermarket type intake. It also includes a pair of cast iron headers, similar to the type used on the 409 and 425 horsepower 409s.

BTW, on the 1:1 W engines, the intakes do not interchange between the 348 and 409/427. There's a slight difference in the head machining that prevents it from working.

BTW, on the 1:1 W engines, the intakes do not interchange between the 348 and 409/427. There's a slight difference in the head machining that prevents it from working.

You can use the 348 tri power intake on the small heads 409/380hp,The 409/409 motor heads is when they left out a bolt on each head or you could fit the intake on them.

If you want to do a 348 just put the dipstick in the right location and that is true'ly the only way to tell on the out side of a stock motor that has not had the oil pan changed. A lot of people now that has the 348s are using 409 oil pans so they do not have to fight of having the stick just under the brake master.

Now what would be kind of useful would be a thread on detailing engines. There was an article on Ford flatheads a few years back that went over which kits had flatheads, the quality of detail of each, the version (early or late, 221, 239 etc), special items (speed equipment etc).

Now I agree internals like 402 vs 396 is kind of silly since it is just a hunk of plastic, but it is good to know 396, 402, 427 and 454 (for example) share a block in case you are trying to replicate a specific car and don't know there are two 402s one based off the Chevy Big Block and one based off the small block (and called a 400).

The little details like Chas pointed out about the different location of dip sticks on a 348 and 409, and popular swaps to a more conveniant location is nice to know for those really committed to accuracy.

Seems to me this could be a neat tips, tricks & techniques post.

"Can someone tell me what A/T R/T and the other letterings mean in the car model descriptions? I've seen previous threads but can't find them."

Not sure what part of OPs question wasn't answered. Sure the engine discussions could get rather lengthy but he did ask about engine size as it pertains to big and small block engines. That would be a very long list and I am almost sure he wasn't refering to the scale dementions.

EDIT: It was answered but it was just so slight, I overlooked it. My mistake.

Edited by Tonioseven

No harm, no foul Buddy. Sure we all are willing to elaborate or share what we can if we had more specific info as to what the OP wants to know. I personally enjoy answering these types of questions for anyone, not to look like a know-it-all but to share what I do know. Someone mentioned the lack of Ford info, granted that and many other makes would be a very very long list.