Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th 57 Chevy Turbo ProMod (03-14-13) Finished Bull-Horns with V-band clamps

Prostreet

at 1/16 you should be using a 5/32" diameter header tube (2 2/12" primary) i would think 1/8" (2" inch) would be a little small. depending on the turbos you bought. tubing any where from 1/4" (4") to 5/16" (5"). numbers in ( ) are 1:1 sizes.

when you go to the plastruct site look for tapered reducers and offset tapered reducers. they'll help you go from a smaller tube to a larger tube on the turbo. while it won't fix the turbo size. it may get your tubing sizes to a more common diameter. besides if you burry the turbo down under the headers like that camaro i sent you. you won't even notice the difference.

Plastruct doesn't make those elbows in 5/32" only 3/16" which looks to big for headers to me, but with the 2 side by side i was thinking i may be able to sand the elbows down to look right with the 5/32" tube. This really making my head hurt lol. just to many darn tight bends for turbo headers.

I WAS A BIG SCALE HATER, BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF DETAIL THEY USE TO SHOW

BUT LATELLY, I HAVE BEEN BLOWN AWAY, FIRST BAY THE VEGA FUNNY CAR IN THE OTHER POST

AND BY THIS TURBO BEAST....WOW, OUTSTANDING THE DETAILED WORK YOU ARE DOING.

I WAS A BIG SCALE HATER, BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF DETAIL THEY USE TO SHOW

BUT LATELLY, I HAVE BEEN BLOWN AWAY, FIRST BAY THE VEGA FUNNY CAR IN THE OTHER POST

AND BY THIS TURBO BEAST....WOW, OUTSTANDING THE DETAILED WORK YOU ARE DOING.

Thx. Danny, much appreciated.

joe, sorry i didn't know they stopped at 3/16. i think a 3" primary would look totally out of place. if you want to do 5/32 bends contact me. i have an idea if you want to try it.

Dave you have a PM

Thx. Guys, staying with the turbos no worries. After a couple failed attempts i have the motor plate done, The white you see between the center bolt holes is styrene rod i used to hold the plate to the block and make it strong. I will touch them up with some aluminum paint unless i paint the whole plate, All the other holes will get RB motion hardware. This evening i will get the bench cleaned up and start on new headers and with any luck will have some updates. Need some opinions on the upper intake, Does it look to small for the engine? looking for some opinions.

1233f51e.jpg

80fc6539.jpg

I think it looks right to me, maybe appears small because there are no huge inlets on it yet, that will change the whole appearance for sure, might mock somthin up real quick before you go to the trouble of makin a diffrent one Joe, oh yea the moter plate looks fantastic!

hey joe, this project always looks good to me. the motor plate is lookin' good. the intake plenum and the upper intake both look narrow to me. the runners are probably only 4-5 inches long. you should also be deciding on 1 or 2 injectors and if you use 2 injectors whether they (the injectors) will be mounted parallel or perpendicular to the runner center line. so scale your runner length and lower plenum accordingly. the upper looks narrow too. if your using 2 throttle bodies horizontally mounted (which i thought was your original plan). you might want to consider those into the total width before making your top.

Joe, I am sure you have already worked with Dave on the Header situation... but I was using my calipers to calculate the difference from 5/32" to the Plastruct 1/8", the difference is only 0.0295" between the two. Which looks to be very small, however when scaled up works out to almost 1/2" difference. It would be close enough for Government work! :D

Looking for some awesome updates from you soon... break out that camera when you can buddy..

Thx. Bart, I have 1 header complete to the point of doing the collector. Once i get my order from plastruct i can start on the collector, I have a couple ideas how to do them, will see how that turns out. Going to start on the other header tommarrow, Let me know what you think so far.

The 2 front cylinders are 1 piece, the back two are 4 pieces each. I made some 90 deg. bends and tried to build them like you would real headers, I wanna try to add some weld to them also with either putty or some photoetched weld strips. The joints still need some finishing and the collector are will be cut back some. I built them out of 5/32" rod, The last picture you can see the comparison to my plain looking 1/8" headers i originally made.

32d0d9ef.jpg

355164e9.jpg

cc2d7201.jpg