Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th 57 Chevy Turbo ProMod (03-14-13) Finished Bull-Horns with V-band clamps

Prostreet

Thx. for the positive feedback guys. The collector is done and i think it turned out good for my first attempt, Once my order gets here i can make my connection to the turbo which will sit where it was before or under the header. Then comes the daunting task of doing the other side to match, I did make some templates of the bends on paper to help. Once the other side is done i will finish cleaning them up and get a coat of primer on them, I would like to thank Dave(comp1839) for getting me heading in the right direction for doing the headers and especially the collector, with out that help i would probably be pulling out what's left of my hair lol. Let me know what you guys think good and bad.

f67bc5c3.jpg

8402677a.jpg

I really like those, When I saw the picture of them on the car it was one of those "that's it" moments. Thanks for pointing out the tires being to far from the strut. I redid the strut angle, spindle length and hub so they fit closer on the new ones I am making. Chris, Clay and yourself have such a good eye for detail. Thanks

Joe - Those headers are really nice looking. Great work on the bends. I can't to see how you tie in the turbo chargers.

For the weld beads you mentioned, Archer makes transfers you may like. They go on like decals, but are 3D.

They're at: http://www.archertransfers.com/SurfaceDetailsMain.html

Look about half way down the page to WELD BEADS and FOUNDRY CASTING SYMBOLS

Different types of welds and sizes are listed.

If a 1:1 weld bead is about 1/4" wide, their .015" size would be real close for 1/16 scale.

The .025" weld bead would be closer to a 1:1 size of 3/8".

They have videos on applying the transfers, too.

Keep up the great work.

Joe... These headers are just awesome and looking killer man. You are doing one heck of a job on them and i can't wait to see the next details.

Ted... Thanks for the link, I just ordered two of the sets of the weld transfers to try them out. figured it wouldn't hurt to have a .015" & .025" size...lol

I really like those, When I saw the picture of them on the car it was one of those "that's it" moments. Thanks for pointing out the tires being to far from the strut. I redid the strut angle, spindle length and hub so they fit closer on the new ones I am making. Chris, Clay and yourself have such a good eye for detail. Thanks

Thx. for the kind words Jim, Sounds good on the struts, i also changed out the spindle to brass rod and threaded the end of that so it was a little beefier. Plus it made it easier for me to thread the cap on.

joe, you're welcome and those headers and collectors look great!!!!! did you go with 45's on the collectors? cause yours look WAY better than mine.

Dave, I did the 45's, I wish i could have went bigger on the exit for the collector but i couldn't with out taking away the radius detail, once the other pipe is done and hooked to the turbo it will look much better. Thx. for the compliment.

Thx. to everybody else also for the feedback, Ted thx. for the link i was looking for a place to buy that stuff from, you also have a PM.

Edited by Prostreet

whatever time and energy spent doing these headers was certainly worth it!! i know just how difficult this task was. you not only hand built each and every tube and the collectors but, you also chose the more diffucult path of doing the correct diameter tubing. no small feat by any means. looking at it has to bring a very large smile to your face, joe. excellent, excellent job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by comp1839

Thx. for all your help so far Dave, Thx. for the compliments. So i went to do the pipe going to the turbo's and found out it's not going to be that easy. I planned on using 7/32" tube but now i see that won't work as it kinks, I don't see any 7/32" rod anywhere so now to try to figure this part out.

Man Joe, that is some work on the header plumbing. Looks like it was a headache to try and figure out how to route each of them, and a very nice job on the collectors!

You are doing a fantastic job, keep it up looks like you are almost out of the woods with plumbing your turbos from the exhaust portion with the hard work completed.