Model Cars Magazine Forum

building a model for money ?

as people who do this as a hobbie and i love doing it but alot of fellow truckers want a 1/25 scale model of the trucks they drive. and well one guy offered me 800 to do a kw900l with the 70inch bunk and a refer trailer. and well i was taken back by it! but did see dollar signs, but i feel guilty, but yet he is paying for a service so its all good right ??

anyone ever make models on the side for a fee and if so how did you base your prices ? lol i'm sos humbled by someone loving my pete and hopper bottom trailer to ask me to build them something for a fee

That's great! Why not do something you love doing and make some money out of it? Especially if the guy liked what he saw. Of course if you start counting the hours you are going to take to make it, you probably won't get the whole worth of your work, but you will have enjoyed building it. That's my 2 cents...

I have to agree with the others!!!

I have built in the past three trucks (truck&trailer) for owner operators here in Athens. The price was discussed several times until the deal closed. It is very important to make clear to the other how difficult is to built a model, how many hour it takes, the costs of the used materials and purchasing the needed kits. Also it is very important and counts a lot, the difficulty of the real thing, what extras you will need (resin parts, decals...). I feel that, including the costs for the materials (glues, tapes, BMF, etc) and purchasing the kits, a price for a truck & trailer combo is good up to 1000-1200€, if I am correct it is about 800-900 USD. I would be happy with that money. Resin parts add to the price.

you built, you love it, and then it is like a child, someday the day it must leave you will come, so you will have to delivery it. Keep in mind what you can do with this money it is a good point of start. It is very cool to have some extra money to spend for your kids, wife, or at least for your self.

I have meet people who had pay more than 2000€ for a model truck and you wont believe it, once I met a guy that he payed in front of me 8000€ for a 2 meter long wooden ship....

What I want to say is that our hobby is very nice and I believe that it is an art. Art is payed well is other cases, so why not in our case???? I also want to say again here that building models had help me a lot in my job were as an electronics technician I have always to deal with small parts....

So go ahead and built the truck for that guy.

Kostas.

PS1. Our hobby should be just a pleasure but but sometimes its a more pleasure to spend ''extra'' money in a LHS.

PS2. There are some cases that we all should donate a model to someone.

I would say that doing commissioned builds has kept me busy for some time...mostly racing cars....the best advice I could give : make sure that YOU are interested in the subject matter....otherwise it REALLY does become work! If you agree to build a model you hate; or that the base kit is just junk to start with; it makes you far less motivated to get it done...I say that from experience; as I am just now finishing a giant 1/8 scale Porsche that has been no fun at all................matt

Build it for him or as someone else said give him my e-mail and send him my way.

I built a car for a guy and when he saw it he thought it was to low of a price for the build.

He was glad to pay $275.00 for it.

Not bad for a 1/25 scale kit

As for your time involved you never realy get that out of the sell.

Lets us know what you do.

• 4 weeks later...

I customize Hot Wheel's for fun and for myself. I enjoy the compliments and the look of amazement when others view my work. One time, I agreed to do a set of four cars for somebody for an agreed price (very low for the work involved). I ran into a lot of problems with paint and the designs. I really "pushed the envelope" for this person and was satisfied with my work. When I delivered the finished set, the buyer was more than pleased. He held on to them for a couple of months and then sold them on E-bay for a lot more than he paid. I also have heard of people purchasing built models and then entering them in model contests as there own. There's a lot to think about when you build for other people.

I've build models for people many times.the money is nice,but like others have said.its is hard to sometimes let it go.I enjoy building for others cause when it is done,it leaves.its hard at times but nice to go see it be displayed.if you think or know you can do the work successfully then by all means do it.but count all the money that goes into the build.the kit,any resin parts,decals,paint,glue,casting parts if needed.keep track of all the money that goes into the work.this is art work we do.its no different then drawings,paintings,music,cooking.....there is so many things that are art.let us know how it turns out.I'm sure you will do well for the buyer.Thank ya,Chris

A friend of mine makes a lot of models for truckers. His prices are around € 800,- so $ 1000.- Sometimes he makes more models for the same company so he sprays several models in the same color scene. He says it make is holidays more payable. For me building is hobby. When I build for a trucker I will just let him pay my costs. If he wants to give more that's his choice. I understand you feeling guilty.

Hessel

sometimes my collega,s ask if i whant building a model for him a always said buy the box and paint glue etc

and i willing to do it if i have the time for it but never ask for money its on them to pay for your work

and if the said oke no time limit ore so when its finisd you heared from my

but a hobby cost always money and it your way to think of something else and make your head empty from al the bad things or so and spent the free time

if you haved i long time i thinking to build my truck as a model stil waiting in the boxes and parts

and time no one can buy and even not the fun thats priceless

jacobus

I'm with Doc C on this one. In most cases, I won't mix pay and pleasure. As soon as I start to do something for somebody else's money, it becomes work. I think building a model for your own enjoyment then selling it is different than building one on commission. For me, the quickest way to kill the fun is to change a "want to" into a "have to."

But that's my opinion. There are folks for whom this situation works, and works quite well. I'm just not one of them.

David G.

I have enough trouble finishing models for myself, yet alone others so I NEVER build for anyone else anymore. I've built two models as gifts for other people over the years and that's the end of it. I know of several guys who build for money and I'm sure that there are a lot more. If it works for you and you can use the money, go for it.