Model Cars Magazine Forum

TOP FIVE REASONS WHY YOU ATTEND MODEL CAR SHOWS

1. A chance to spend the day chatting with like minded folks.

2. Touch base with online pals.

3. To compete against said online pals and likeminded folks.

4. The vendors area.

5. Winning any award. Against such excellent builders, even an honorable mention is gratifying.

Here are my reasons, in no particular order... and others have covered these as well...

-Comaraderie

-Show deals

-Inspiration, I love puttering around the show area... Being that I have to use a wheelchair because I'm severely limited, mobility wise, most of the models are at eye level...

-Roadtrip. Usually, a trip to a model show involves carpooling with other members of our local modeling club.

The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat....................................oh wait, wrong activity!

Bikini contests..................................................................................no, that one's been used already!

How about the fellowship with other model builders.

Seeing other builders great looking builds up close and personal.

Learning different techniques from other builders/teaching techniques to other builders, if possible.

The swag..................................oh yeah, you have to pay for that!

Having a great time, forgetting about work for a day (or more depending on the length of the show) and if you're lucky enough, to walk away with some hardware for your efforts.

Top five reasons I don't attend shows, model car or other:

1. There are other people

2. I may have to talk to them

3. We have nothing in common apart from a hobby

4. I have to use public toilets

5. The coffee is usually as atrocious as it is expensive

Jumpin jesus, what a ray of sunshine you are!

i go for cameraderie, inspiration, competition, and deals on kits.

1. I get to see my friends.

2. I get to see things that inspire me.

3. Watching the awards can be very interesting to see what the judges liked.

4. If I have money, the flea market can be a lot of fun (or cause a lot of frustration if I don't.)

5. It gets me out of the house for a day (or two if I have to travel a lot.)

Charlie Larkin

Well, im going to attend my first this Saturday. Mostly to sell some extra kits, parts that ive gotten in a recent buy.

Guess I will repost after my expierence in doing this. Taking my camera for the bikini contest if I can find it, oh wait thats at the bike show afterwords! LOL!

Drew C.

P1030729.jpg G,day mate . I ONLY go to two shows here in oz at the moment and i only go to see the long time friends i've made in this hobby over the years .I DON'T care for the trophys and other awards . I've recently lost one of my long time model friends and that drove it home to alot of other people , The attached photo is of group of us who have takin the name of the plastic mafia including the RARE chance visit of the only female member . So treasure these shows as one day someone may not turnup .

P.S .I gota get to one of Coreys shows to see the bikini girls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 getting the inspiration from seeing what others have built

2 catching up with people who i might just see once or twice a year

3 checking the swap meet for bargains or hard to finds

4 talking to people about what i brought or what they brought and

tips and techniques or whatever.

5. just wandering around looking at models at random, often more than once

its nice to win a plaque or something but definately not mandatory. i like to

share above competing.

#1 To see other modelling friends I only 'talk' to on the internet #2 To compete ! ( yes, I admit it ! ) #3 To see the great stuff on the tables. #4 To buybuybuy, aftermarket, old kits,new kits....I don't spend much online, I get it all at shows, except plastruct & paint. #5 Road Trip,usually with modelling buddies....

1. To get ideas for future builds.

2. To see what others are building

3. To buy more kits that I probably won't get to building.

4. To buy more resin pieces that I probably won't get to build.

5. To see others and make new friends.

And maybe someday see a bikini contest.

There are loads of them in Switzerland. Contact the Swiss IPMS chapter for info.

Thanks for the info but the IPMS Switzerland is very much for military modelers. I do check out what's going on occasionally but I still claim there are no model CAR shows here. (But there are some really good shows and historic race meetings for real cars).

Peter, if you check the history of I P M S , they were founded as a Plastic Airplane club primarily. Even here in the states , the Tank Guys , well here in Richmond Virginia got together with some folks in Washington D C and then Chartered their own A M P S or Allied Military Plastic Society which became a part of I P M S International . With that , they began to host Tank and Armor shows specifically for those vehicles . yes , most of the "Local "Tank enthusiasts do attend a I P M S monthly meeting , most will attend a Tank and Armor show as opposed to a I P M S Venue . The same happened in Dallas Texas as some of the N A S C A R guys decided to go out and start a car club under a I P M S Charter too.

I would suggest you call out to any friends you have that enjoy automobiles . See if there is a way the small group of you could form such a club and then correspond with I P M S International is forming a Charter club . Ed Shaver

Top 5 Reasons I Go To Model Car Shows:

1 - 1st Place Trophy

2 - Best Paint Trophy

3 - Best Interior Trophy

4 - Best Engine Trophy

5 - Best of Show Trophy

Now that I'm done dreaming the impossible dream, let's go with this:

1 - Hours of packing and unpacking and packing and unpacking.

2 - Hours of driving sucking up megabucks worth of gas.

3 - Repair priceless works of art that didn't fair the trip so well.

4 - Hours of standing around doing nothing while waiting for judges to stop arguing over "one headlight is 2 / 738th's higher than the other."

5 - Listening to all of the people who didn't place explain why all of the cars that did place, shouldn't have.

And now, for my real top 5:

1 - Ego

2 - Ego

3 - Ego

4 - Ego

5 - To be a part of the world's greatest hobby and share my experience with all of the people who care to listen.

Hope to see a bunch of you at the Desert Classic in Victorville.