Model Cars Magazine Forum

Top Sportsman & Bracket Cars

Great builds, again! These are just awesome, paintjobs are great and those decals fit really nicely to the body shapes. Engine detailing is great on that Dragster. Cool subjects too, I'm building '64 Falcon Outlaw Pro Street for example. :)

Armor and airplane modelers have been making things from the tissue paper method for decades! Especially things like tarps covering vehicles, wings etc. It's just diluted white glue on the tissue paper. But I would like to see how Darryl makes his mold to make the chute form!

This is true and I would also like to see the molding process. I've heard / read that for tarps and covers, you put plastic wrap down, but what kind ?? Glad or something along that lines ?? And how to keep a chutes shape on the ground or draped over a spoiler / wing or what have you. Also don't know the glue dilution ratio.

Sure, I could experiment but I've got too many running projects to slow down. LOL I will be the Patient Padawan I keep telling others to be. At your convenience Darryl.

Using Darryl's technique I was able to do this, first time out. It's not that difficult and you really can't do any drastic damage to a model or part if you mess up. It really doesn't matter what type of plastic wrap you use and the mixture is as scientific as mixing the water and white glue in a container until you have a milky consistency. This tarp was made using this technique and a piece of paper towel, dipped in the diluted white glue and immediately placed over the model protected by plastic wrap and then set it aside to dry. You can manipulate the shape if you wish, while it's still wet but once it's dry it is what it is. Once it's dry you can paint it, weather it or whatever you wish. Pretty simple.

DSC02125-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

No secret on making the chutes, tarps, oil rags and so on. I don't use any molds or white glue and water. I simply cut the Kleenex tissue in the desired shape and I paint it on both sides with acrylic craft paint (Apple Barrel brand) purchased at Wal Mart. Its messy painting the tissue and the tissue will tear but you can master it with some practice. While the tissue is wet with paint I put it in place (like on a deck lid of a race car) and it will take on a natural shape and wrinkles. If you happen to get some (wet paint) on the paint of the model simply wait til the tissue and paint dries and use a wet Q-tip to remove any unwanted paint on your project. The only trick is...Just to place the painted tissue in place while its still wet. Thats it!