Model Cars Magazine Forum

my son's observation

my (adult) son came by today and we had a long chat, during which i was messing about with some of my current builds including my Falcon promo rebuild, and he remarked that i seemed to have a model of every 1:1 car he could remember us having over the years........ not only that, i told him, but i try to build one of every notable car a family member might have owned, such as my Uncle George's Dart and his Satellite. i have my F150, my Starliner, my baby blue '66 Galaxie, and several other representations in my fleet.... it's a sickness, i know.

Wish I could, off the vehicles we've owned over the years, the only ones possible are my Sister's Charger (if I were to steal the engine from a Prowler), Mom's old F/S van (and even then, the grill and interior would be wrong and need work), and The Grand Cherokee I had for about 6 months (which was a Larado with cloth interior and directional 5 spoke wheels....), everything else would require major scratchbuilding.

Guess I could build Dad's F-150 company truck.........not sure if he would want a model of that useless thing though..................

I'd love to make models of some of my dad's cars. I can now build the Hudson but where do I find a Morris Oxford, Vauxhall Cresta or Mk3 Ford Zodiac? (Actually the Zodiac was done in 1:32).

As for my own cars, the VW was no problem, but the Wolesley? The Daf? There is a model of our current ride, the Mercedes A Class, but the car, although nice enough, doesn't inspire me to build a model.

When I mentioned building most of my 1:1 cars I should have mentioned I was fortunate most were available and only needed some body work or such. As you see ... 5 Porsche 924/944's, 3 VW Beetles, 2 Subaru Legacy wagons, an Infiniti G35 Coupe, 51 Plymouth, Triumph TR4A, 67 Pontiac Tempest, 59 Chevy Impala, 92 Crown Victoria, 56 VW Kombi, 85 GMC Van.

The one I see never able to do is a 145 Volvo wagon. That's a pretty good hit list! :)

One of my biggest problems (and I mean it!) is that hardly any models were made of the cars I have owned :(

I think it's a superb thing to build replicas of cars oneself or one's family owned. I made models of two cars my parents had, one of one of my Mother's and another of one of my Father's. I then gave them to them as birthday gifts. Despite both my parents aren't car people, I was surprised how well they were received, and they are on display in their home (underneath a glass cheese cover on top of the piano, a very special place!) ever since. I then made a model of my Aunt's first car (from pics in a family photo album) and also gave it to her as a b'day gift. Same reaction! And then continued with a model of a car my sister owned...

...and then it dawned on me.

Even if people aren't into cars as such, they associate the cars they had with the nice things they experienced with them. All the holiday trips, all the romance, it all comes back. Add to this that the model was made by a person special to them and you have a clear case of a sentimental double sensation.

i remember seeing relatives come down the long driveway to GreatGrandDad's house and being able to tell who it was by the car they were driving: Richard had a white Cutlass, around a 68 or 69; William had a Valiant as well as Lawrence; George had a Dart and before that a Polara;then a Satellite; GrandDad had a black 4dr Falcon Futura and then a Ford Custom 4dr, lastly a 79 Nova....

My Grandmother had a powder blue 64 Ford and then a Beetle, lastly a forest green Valiant sedan........... i've found photos in albums where other cars were prominent, such as a 39 or 40 Merc convertible Uncle George had; a '59 Ford Custom sedan GrandDad had; several others as well.... my own parents soldiered along with a Falcon/Comet mongrel my Dad built, then a 65 Mustang fastback, then a Pinto sedan and my mother's last car, a 79 TR7.

i suppose i'm a very "visual" person; i relate to what i've seen in reference to things more than what i heard. well; i used to paint pictures a long time ago...... how visual is that?

The only model kit of a car I've owned is the Monogram '87 Ford T-Bird Turbo Coupe, and I still haven't built a model of that car yet! Trucks are another matter- Revell's Ram GTS could easily be reworked to represent my '95 1500, and I've got a replica of my current F-250 in the works- I've found an appropriate steering wheel ('91 Up Taurus kit), and the kit (AMT '92 F-150 long bed), I'm only short a decent set of in-scale 8 bolt wheels to pull that one off.

I'm hoping after dropping enough hints my wife will get me at least one I can replicate for Christmas. Trouble is, of my car history, I only know of 2 that were actually made as models. 87 Pontiac Grand Prix, 95 Chevy Corsica, 88 Cutlass Cierra, 96 Honda Civic dx coupe, 97 Honda Civic ex coupe, 00 Celica GT-S, 00 Subaru Forester, 00 Celica GT-S, 09 Kia Sorento.

Yes, I owned the same Celica twice..the transmission, clutch, pressure plate, and #3 cylinder all went out at the same time 11 days after buying it. Convinced the dealer to buy it back since that's all the longer I had it for. The forester then only lasted me 5 months and I was getting a bad valve tick. Got a survey from toyota about the work done on the Celica, so I traded the Forester back in on the Celica. Had it close to 2 years and the rear main seal transmission and clutch were all having problems again.

Sorry for the mini history lesson on my car life.