Model Cars Magazine Forum

do most of you guys detail with paint or use bare metal foil?

I'm just completeing one of my first models in a long time and am wondering if i should detail it with chrome or silver paint or use bare metal foil. It seems like most people use the bare metal foil for around windows and such. I have a pretty steady hand especially now with reading glasses so painting in the details doesn't really scare me off. Is anyone actually painting in the details anymore? I'm also curious about contests. In a contest do the judges prefer paint detailing or BMF? is bare metal foil considered cheating??

thx, john

I think BMF is great looking and to me, its very easy to use. I use it for all kinds of details from trim to wrapping exhaust tips and turbo piping! I've never entered in a contest. so I wouldnt know, but I would think that anything that gives a car a better appearence should be ok.

Besides, I dont think it would be cheating since the hobby is ever changing in order to make models look better.

Mike.

Used to paint all the trim. started doing that decades ago. But when I returned to building after a 10+ year hiatus I tried BMF and I would never go back. One because I don't have the eyes for painting it anymore but the facts are and main reason is BMF looks so much better!

Right now just waiting to get new glasses. I have about 10 bodies waiting to be foiled!

I'd love to redo all my painted on trim cars with it but that is just a little too much to do. :lol:

Edited by Johnny

I like Bare-Metal, but I will also use chrome silver paint for some details that are either very small, and the foil is either proving too difficult to apply correctly or might be too shiny relative to the size. Also, where some things weren't too bright to begin with, the paint can look better. Lock cylinders are a good example.

Charlie Larkin

I agree with what Ken said... and if you think about it for a second or two, it's obvious. Silver paint just doesn't have the reflectivity that Bare Metal Foil has. In my opinion, Bare Metal Foil on window surrounds, side spears, etc. looks like the real thing, while silver paint immediately screams "model."

One of the biggest steps beginning modelers can take is moving up from silver paint to foil. It makes that much of a difference.